OCS games

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Are one-word posts the "in thing" these days? :wink: :) Has anyone played DAK?I've preorded it 'cos the Desert War is a main interest of mine.How does it play?Is it a realistic potrayal of the theatre?

PRogman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For what it is worth.
I think the TCS game system do have a nice basic idea but when it comes to actual play it lacks a lot and I personally found that so annoying that I alltogether quit the series as a whole.
For background and historical interest I think the series is great but at portraying Tactical decisions I have yet to see anything that gets close to ASL.
Regarding the OCS, no matter the game they are all just awesome. I have played them all but GB 2 using ADC 2 and they have all lived up to the highest expectations I could have had.
Initially the logistics (read supply) system was hard to accept but when one had got a understanding of how the system works and what it does to the game you can no longer doubt that it is just great.
That is at least what I think of these games.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone played DAK?I've preorded it 'cos the Desert War is a main interest of mine.How does it play?Is it a realistic potrayal of the theatre?
Gee, dude. I've never met anyone who's played DAK but I'm sure
someone has.

The OCS games I have (haven't played any yet, but looking closely at Sicily after my Crusader game) all look awesome. They are not as complex as ASL, but several steps above "Afrika Korps".

I have an unpunched copy of DAK, Sicily, Tunisia, Enemy at the Gates and Guderian's Blitzkrieg II. Any suggestions as to which is "better" as a first OCS game?

Sam

PRogman

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say that Tunisia is the best OCS game to start out with to get the feel of the system.
Take the advice given in the rulebook on important things to do in OCS very seriously.
You should probably start with a smaller scenario cause the Surprise effects and Supply system can be a real challenge to try to understand in the middle of a larger game.
Start with a small scenario and then go for the big Campaign in Tunisia which is quite small in the beginning but when the 8th Army approaches you have your fair share of counter pulling.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
g_young said:
Does anyone have an opinion on TCS they'ed like to share? As a Kiwi, I've always been tempted but never taken the plunge - into getting the Maleme airfield game. (Can't remember the name of it for the life of me). Is it so different from ASL as to be worth a try?

Thanks
Gary
I thought TCS looked interesting so I bought Leros. Leros is a cool situation with a 1943 German parachute invasion of a Greek island. Interesting situation, nice units, good presentation. Then I read the rules. I think most ASL players will be annoyed by the lack of chrome (exc: AFVs have no facing in TCS). The LOS rules require a calculator.

The command and control rules are the big feature of this game. I you want to explore the effect of good regimental and battalion staff officers (maybe the 6+1 guys in ASL) TCS is the system. The lack of detail, the level of simplifications compared to ASL make it a system I wouldn't enjoy.

Anyone want to buy an unpunched Leros?

Adrian

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SamB said:
I have an unpunched copy of DAK, Sicily, Tunisia, Enemy at the Gates and Guderian's Blitzkrieg II. Any suggestions as to which is "better" as a first OCS game?
Many of the OCS regulars say Tunisia is the best to learn with. It has a smaller size with a controlled buildup.

EatG is likely the best game situation once you learn the system. Both sides get cool stuff and both sides have good and crap units.

Sicily is best left until after you master the system as the air/naval interaction and invasion mechanics are very important. There is however only one viable Axis strategy. Once you figure that out, the game's appeal is limited.

GBII is a monster with some issues. Once the German player figures out what to do he can dictate the pace of the game even when its the Russian player who should be dong the dictating. Long term (>30 turns) balance does not appear to have been adequately tested. You'll have fun with it, though.

Adrian

g_young

Reaction score
Thankyou one and all for your comments, one word and otherwise-all are appreciated. :). Lack of chrome for me is not an issue. I was looking for a quick learning easy playing "thingy" that I could enjoy solitaire whenever the regular ASL bud is out of town. I think with alot of my game money committed to RBv2 and AoO, its going to be a while yet.
This is a first, but I think I achieved some sort of internet synergy with the Pitman and da Priest...hmmm, must shower :lol:

Cheers
Gary

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
If you're looking for a taste of TCS, then you can download the rules from the MMP website, and pick up the Semper Fi module for VASL, all for free. (Just as you can with Espinosa for the NWBS).
I can only presume that MMP have allowed these things for promotional purposes, and then forgotten to tell people about it...

The one thing that feels very different about the Gamers' order-based games (TCS, CWBS, NWBS) to the others (OCS, SCS) is that you have to be willing to follow orders even when they're clearly foolish or no longer applicable to the situation.

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I downloaded the semper-fi modules but Vassal 1.2 wont load them.Anyone else having troubles?

Edit:Hagaru module works but the others say "Invalid Module Data"

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I have the latest installed and all I can get to come up is VASL - not the VASSAL engine, but the VASL module...

So, how can I load Semper Fi module??

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hmm - doesn't work over here either. It definitely used to work at some point in time (July, when I downloaded them), so I guess the upgrades to VASSAL have made them outdated.

I'll drop a line to rk in case it's something as simple as a filename...

Sorry 'bout that.

Los

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's kind of amusing that people seem to have thought that TCS would be some sort of reasonable facsimile of ASL. If you're looking for ASL play ASL. TCS and ASL scales are different and are geared towards different levels of micromanagement. The whole point of TCS is the command rules.

Los