OCS by The Gamers

Birdgunner

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all,

I have been playing ASL for a few years now and thought that the Operational Combat Series from MMP's The Gamers line would be an excellent choice for an non-ASL series to play when I am in need of an ASL break.

I was just wondering if there are a number of players here that play OCS or any other Gamers series and what they thought.

So far I have picked up:

OCS: DAK II, Tunisia, and Guderians Blitzkrieg I.
TCS: Leros the Island Prize & Screaming Eagles in Holland.

Now I have the cyberboard gamebox for Tunisia but need an opponent to play/help teach me the rules. Any takers?

Cheers,
Denis

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Birdgunner said:
Hi all,

I have been playing ASL for a few years now and thought that the Operational Combat Series from MMP's The Gamers line would be an excellent choice for an non-ASL series to play when I am in need of an ASL break.

I was just wondering if there are a number of players here that play OCS or any other Gamers series and what they thought.

So far I have picked up:

Now I have the cyberboard gamebox for Tunisia but need an opponent to play/help teach me the rules. Any takers?

Cheers,
Denis
Denis, Merry Christmas! As far as OCS is concerned my only experience has been going through the first 2 turns or so of Guderian's Blitzkrieg II (a much needed 2nd incarnation considering rules and graphics changes), the first scenario of Tunisia, and going over a scenario of DAK 2 recently.

Something to remember about any and all of the Gamers' series. Forces outside of the players' control always drives initiative. In the OCS and SCS (the Standard Combat Series) it is supply. You can have the greatest army in the world, with some reasonable victory conditions, but unless you can supply your army you'll get nowhere.

In the TCS, CWBS, RSS (now the CWR) and the NBS, orders are the order (no pun intended)of the day. You must get your forces underway by orders that exist initially and then orders that you write yourself, as the game progresses.

The systems are not that difficult. As far as the supply system in the OCS and SCS, you need to drive up supplies to the intended troops and expend them when combat is announced. As far as the Tactical series are concerned, you express you orders graphically (in the TCS, you draw arrows where this battalion moves along that road and show where the expected combat will take place). You do not need to plot hex by hex. With the American Civil War Series (the CWB and the CWR) and the Napoleonic Series you simply write that you want I Corps to move up Emmitsburg Road to go to McPherson's Farm and defend.

Leros is a little different because there are special (but easy to follow) rules regarding dropping your Fallschirmjaegers. If you plot poorly (as I did on one occasion) some are going swimming (or drowning) in the Aegean rather than fighting on the island. I have not played Screaming Eagles post production (I was a playtester) but in involves some special rules regarding the Nazis trying to knock out a bunch of bridges in Veghel and the Screaming Eagles holding.

Last edited:

Simon Prior

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Birdgunner said:
Hi all,

So far I have picked up:

Cheers,
Denis
Tunisia is actually probably the best game to start. It has none of the naval paraphenalia of Sicily but is small with relatively few playing pieces. If you like Tunisia try DAK afterwards, it is big but with relativelt few pieces. Sadly, GB1 doesn't use the same rules as the rest of the OCS series, the supply rules were cleaned up and rewritten for EatG, and a lot more playable it became too.

Hope this helps.

Birdgunner

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Simon Prior said:
Tunisia is actually probably the best game to start. It has none of the naval paraphenalia of Sicily but is small with relatively few playing pieces. If you like Tunisia try DAK afterwards, it is big but with relativelt few pieces. Sadly, GB1 doesn't use the same rules as the rest of the OCS series, the supply rules were cleaned up and rewritten for EatG, and a lot more playable it became too.

Hope this helps.
I got GB1 off ebay and the '94 repl & variants countersheet was include. It has replacement counters for GB Upgrade to v2.0. I know v3.1 is out but does that make it more compatible with the rest of the OCS Rules. Aside from the marker counter graphics.

Simon Prior

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Birdgunner said:
I got GB1 off ebay and the '94 repl & variants countersheet was include. It has replacement counters for GB Upgrade to v2.0. I know v3.1 is out but does that make it more compatible with the rest of the OCS Rules. Aside from the marker counter graphics.
When taliking about v2 here people generally mean version 2 of GB, not v2 of the OCS rules. IIRC GB2 does, in fact, work with version 3.x of the OCS rules as does everything from EatG onwards.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Simon Prior said:
When taliking about v2 here people generally mean version 2 of GB, not v2 of the OCS rules. IIRC GB2 does, in fact, work with version 3.x of the OCS rules as does everything from EatG onwards.
Simon, how are you? Did you have a Merry Christmas? Anyway, I have a question. Would you like to participate in the South Mountain playtest for the RSS system (same system as This Hallowed Ground, the Gettysburg game)? So far we have Tony Adams (the guy whose house we were at the last time), Gary Christensen, Dan Cicero, Mike Duffy and me.

Simon Prior

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom DeFranco said:
Simon, how are you? Did you have a Merry Christmas? Anyway, I have a question. Would you like to participate in the South Mountain playtest for the RSS system (same system as This Hallowed Ground, the Gettysburg game)? So far we have Tony Adams (the guy whose house we were at the last time), Gary Christensen, Dan Cicero, Mike Duffy and me.
Hi Tom,

Well, thankyou and yes, I did have a good Christmas.

I would lopve to help you playtest South Mountain, as long as you realise the only thing I know about the ACW is the continent it was fought on!

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Simon Prior said:
Hi Tom,

Well, thankyou and yes, I did have a good Christmas.

I would lopve to help you playtest South Mountain, as long as you realise the only thing I know about the ACW is the continent it was fought on!
That's fine. That's partly why I'd like you to participate. We already have a group of people who are ACW veterans (like Duffy, Dan Cicero, Tony, Gary and me). I'd like to see how someone fairly new to the system participate. I know you played a little of the Gettysburg game with Mike and a little with us. You'd be teamed up with an ACW veteran, of course.

Simon Prior

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom DeFranco said:
That's fine. That's partly why I'd like you to participate. We already have a group of people who are ACW veterans (like Duffy, Dan Cicero, Tony, Gary and me). I'd like to see how someone fairly new to the system participate. I know you played a little of the Gettysburg game with Mike and a little with us. You'd be teamed up with an ACW veteran, of course.
That's great. Drop me a line simonprior"at"aol.com. I think Mike has my email address too

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Simon Prior said:
That's great. Drop me a line simonprior"at"aol.com. I think Mike has my email address too
Very well, Simon. Get set for a short series of emails with some rules errata I'll transmit. I'm guessing we'll start next weekend (Sat, 1/15).

Birdgunner

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
New thread needed?

Hi Guy`s,

While I do appreciate your replys to mt thread can you please take your discussion on ACW over to a new thread?

People that are interested in OCS may be getting discouraged on where this is going.

Thanks,
Denis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The really useful thing in GB1 is the training scenarios. For all that they refer to version 1 of the OCS rules, they are nonetheless a series of neatly-packaged epiphanies into how the series works.

Jean

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OCS au Québec

Hi Denis,

(Denis)

(Jean)
I'm new to OCS too having bought Tunisia in the last month.
I'd be interested in a Cyberboard game to learn OCS too.

You might be interested to know that I live in Sherbrooke.
If interested let me know.

All the best.

Jean

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Jean said:
Hi Denis,

(Denis)

(Jean)
I'm new to OCS too having bought Tunisia in the last month.
I'd be interested in a Cyberboard game to learn OCS too.

You might be interested to know that I live in Sherbrooke.
If interested let me know.

All the best.

Jean
I don't know how familiar you guys are with MMP and the Gamers but you might want to check their website for the most up to date errata on both Tunisia's game rules and the OCS series rules. They are easy to talk to regarding any rules questions, too.

Jean

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OCS au Québec

Hi Dennis,

(Dennis)
Glad to hear from you. Unfortunatly,I am a little busy now and won't be able to start a game. Perhaps in a couple of weeks?
(Jean)
let me know when ready.

(Dennis)
If your ever in Quebec we will have to get in a game. Likewise if I am ever in Sherbrooke.
(Jean)
OK.

BTW I speak french and I suspect you too!

Au plaisir.

Jean

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
'Way out here in the West there are a number of the OCS players.People are correct when they say that supply is the driving force in this series. A fellow gamer here will NEVER play OCS again when he attacked Moscow and blew ALL his supply in 2 turns.He likes europa more :rolleyes: .
Couple of things to remember: Don't panic, its not that bad(though it might be worse :eek: )As the Russian, stay in combat mode unless there is no other way.If you have to think about it, does it really need to be done?? And finally, once you decide to do it, know when to call it off.
I have all the Eastern Front OCS and still haven't perfected the game, :cry: But oh what a blast!
The games list answers all kinds of questions and has some fantastic AAR's going on. You should really sign on

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where in the West? I lived in Calgary for 3 years. :)

"Don't panic" is probably the single best advice for either side in any OCS game. :)

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Edmonton.Much better then Calgary. So far, there's 6 that play, including the one who'll never play again. This list is killing me: there are so many gamers out there and so few here.Must be the weather.... :eek:
There are AdeCamp mods for most(all???)of the OCS series. I have a couple of them but my computer is soooo old and small I can't run them :blab: so I'm stuck setting them up and playing solo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Edmonton. Much better then Calgary."

Ahem.... having married a Calgarian, I could not possibly agree with that sentiment. :)