OCS 3 or 4

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
I've just bought DAK (1st Ed), Tunisia and Burma (just off pre-order). Am I likely to have compatibility issues with DAK and Tunisia with the newer rules set?

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I disagree.

OCS games should be played with the rule set they were designed with and originally shipped with. The subtle changes in the rules can have major impacts.

The classic case is Enemy at the Gates. It is fine with v2.0i of the rules but has way too much supply with v3 rules.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OCS games should be played with the rule set they were designed with and originally shipped with. The subtle changes in the rules can have major impacts.
I'd say it depends on whether you're a hard core OCSer or a casual one.

Speaking as a casual one (I only own Tunisia so far, and only played a little of it), it was hard enough learning one set of OCS rules, and there's no way I'm ever going to try to "know" more than one set. But if you're getting into it hard core, then I'd take AdrianE's advice.

I've also been learning GBOH, which is another system with subtle rules changes from one game to the next; the major difference is that in GBOH the changes aren't new editions of the rules, they're slight variations designed to make each game more historically accurate to its period. It still drives my friends who are teaching the system nuts, as they try to remember whether the game we're playing is the one where javelins hit on a 0-5, or the one where they hit on a 0-6 (or something like that). Me, I just shrug and wait for them to tell me what to roll...

Stable rules sets are a good thing!

John

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
As an OCS newbie, I really don't see myself learning two different rules sets! :( I have a big mallet to smack a square peg into a round hole so the latest rules version WILL be backwards compatible! :laugh:

Keith Todd

Reaction score
I disagree.

The classic case is Enemy at the Gates. It is fine with v2.0i of the rules but has way too much supply with v3 rules.
Case Blue replaces Enemy at the Gates, and Case Blue comes with Version 4 of the rules. There is no need to play Enemy at the Gates with Version 2 or 3. You can now play it with Version 4.

All other OCS games have been playtested with version 4 and the tweaks are listed for each of them.

I would go with version 4.

The first version of DAK needs tweaking for 3 and 4. But if you download the specific rules for DAK2 at http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/dak.htm. There is a list of the differences between DAK1 and DAK2 that you can resolve the differences with.

Keith

Last edited:

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All other OCS games have been playtested with version 4 and the tweaks are listed for each of them.
Listed where? In the v4 rules?

If so, sorry for asking a "newb" question, but are the v4 rules downloadable, and if so where?

Thanks,
John

Joao Lima

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Most of the tweaks are listed in the version 4 errata or the specific game errata.

Warning there are very, very few.

The version 4 rules are at

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/ocs.htm

Keith

Keith, perhaps you can help with this one, it comes from the boardgamegeek forum, based on a comment there, are the game specific rules posted on the 'The Gamers Archive' for OCS games complete? I noted for example, on the Tunisia one that there was only the Terrain Chart contained on the pdf available for download, no other tables were included.

Keith Todd

Reaction score

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Keith, perhaps you can help with this one, it comes from the boardgamegeek forum, based on a comment there, are the game specific rules posted on the 'The Gamers Archive' for OCS games complete? I noted for example, on the Tunisia one that there was only the Terrain Chart contained on the pdf available for download, no other tables were included.
Can you give a the BGG link to this?

Keith

Joao Lima

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
You use the series Charts for all games, anything listed on the game page itself is for that game only.
I'm following you, but the question was bit different, the question is, the tunisia specific game rules available on the archive, only have the terrain chart and the end of the pdf, there are other tables needed and specific for the game, which are only available on the actual game map. Correct?

Keith Todd

Reaction score
I'm following you, but the question was bit different, the question is, the tunisia specific game rules available on the archive, only have the terrain chart and the end of the pdf, there are other tables needed and specific for the game, which are only available on the actual game map. Correct?
Correct.

Keith