Obstacles and FASCAM

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
John and I are in a bit of a pickle in our Tourney game; mainly regarding obstacles.

this is open knowledge, so I'm not giving anything away. I hope.

John used his obstacles/minefields in the set up phase, and since then has not been able to use FASCAM or lay any more fields (as it says munitions have been expended)

Now, I didn't use my obstacles in the set up phase, but have fired at least 8 FASCAM missions, if not more, and I'm not restricted in using more if I want.

Now as I understand it, when an obstacle is reduced it goes back into the "pool", similar to TAIs/NAIs, to be used again. To be honest I never checked the number of TAIs/NAIs available, or obstacles, so it never occurred to me I may be abusing a bug - apologies to John for that.

Also, is a full battalion of MRLS created minefield larger than a 6-gun 155mm battery created minefield? It doesn't seem to be, hence I've had a detached battery boxing in John's forces for what is little loss in unit firepower for me.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All minefields are equivalent in DA.

You shouldn't be able put more minefields on the map (via placement at start, engineers, and/or FASCAM) than you have obstacles assigned.

However, in testing in 2.5, it turns out you *can* fire as much FASCAM as you like, *IF* you don't place all of your obstacles on the setup turn.

Oops. :)

John Osborne

Reaction score
James Sterrett said:
All minefields are equivalent in DA.

You shouldn't be able put more minefields on the map (via placement at start, engineers, and/or FASCAM) than you have obstacles assigned.

However, in testing in 2.5, it turns out you *can* fire as much FASCAM as you like, *IF* you don't place all of your obstacles on the setup turn.

Oops. :)
And that Ladys and Gentleman, is what we call a "BUG" in the program. So with Jim placing so many FASCAM around my units, no wonder I can't do anything but get pounded by arty when I try to clear the minefields at every turn :)

John

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
how do you want to proceed John - do over or continue?

to be honest, the mines are mainly where the 3rd BDE was around Myskina, to stop it retreating, other than that I haven't used them, except for the Bridge where your Cav units went through on T2, or way back :D

truly sorry about that John :(

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
If the players need additional time we can always extend the timeline for the tournament. It looks like we will have to do that to some extent anyway.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well John has decided to concede defeat so we don't need any more time.

the forces of BLUFOR are triumphant! But it's a hollow gamey victory :(

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
And that Ladys and Gentleman, is what we call a "BUG" in the program. So with Jim placing so many FASCAM around my units, no wonder I can't do anything but get pounded by arty when I try to clear the minefields at every turn.
Is Jim aware of this bug? Perhaps we can get this fixed before we move on to Round 2.