Observer setup and HIP status

mgenberg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't recall where I read it and have scoured the rules for the status of observer setup. Are they normally allowed to setup HIP? An opponent recently asked me why I hadn't setup my observers HIP, which raises my curiosity again. Any difference if it's Red Barricades and not considering purchasing HIP status?

Thanks!

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Observers with field phones can set up HIP (C1.23). HIP only allowed with radio by SSR or at Night. Can't see anything in RB changing this, but it's been a while since I've played RB.

To be honest, I know that I've played with radio observers HIP in the recent past, so I may be missing something, or this may be one of those errors that is quite common...

mgenberg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent. Thanks for the reply. There it is in black and white. I'll just have to remember to use field phones when possible!

Phil Palmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Observers and HIP

mgenberg said:
Excellent. Thanks for the reply. There it is in black and white. I'll just have to remember to use field phones when possible!
Maybe the reason most RB Observers can be HIP is is that not too many people are going to choose a Russian radio over a field phone.
42% chance of contact vs 97%----not a tough decision.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Phil Palmer said:
Maybe the reason most RB Observers can be HIP is is that not too many people are going to choose a Russian radio over a field phone.
42% chance of contact vs 97%----not a tough decision.
Another reason is that in the CG it's easily worth the one CPP to HIP any leader manning a radio. You don't get it for free though.