Observation

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is directed towards the members of the forum that were here before Amrchair General and Warfare HQ merged. Since this merger, I've been noticing the topics and the discussion in this Off-Topic Forum go sort of downhill in the way of quality. I remember before the merger that there were a lot of threads on here that were thought-provoking and interesting, but since then the number of thought-provoking, interesting, and intellectual discussions in this forum have decreased considerably. That's just my observation and sense of the situation. I'd like your thoughts on this.

P.S.

No insult is intended towards anyone in this forum

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think the merger tended to bring a lot more americans over - and as such, US-biased topics have dominated (which is fair enough)

however, I think the US election had more to do with shoddy posts than anything else, as it was a pertinent issue, and seemingly Democrats and Republicans can't share the same space without some snide remarks going either way.

now it's over, I expect things to get back to normal once people have calmed down :)

also, ACG had a larger number of younger members, hence a lot of the old WHQ crowd staying out of those threads.

just my observations.

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I disagree. For the most part, I think posts have been much better and more thoughtful...even some of the crazy political ones. In addition, I think the Modern Warfare and War University (or whatever it's called) have had some great discussions.

The wargame discussions certainly haven't become any worse and I actually bought tacops because I couldn't stand reading the threads and not owning the game.

Of course, I think ACG brought in more right of center guys like me, so that could be why I find the discussions more enjoyable. :D

Take care,
Brian

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I joined ACG just prior to the merger. While I will agree that the political season has ginned up a lot of heated and repetitive arguments - usually involving me and 5 or 6 other political junkies - some of them have been fairly thought provoking. Ivan, I know you don't appreciate the American political discourse; I appologize for the inconvenience, but I've had a lot of fun debating PurdyRC (Rick) on politics and Overseer (James) on Global Warming.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
While I guess I agree with the premise - did not really post here much before the merger;

"also, ACG had a larger number of younger members, hence a lot of the old WHQ crowd staying out of those threads"

It might not be a good idea to dredge up stuff like this - mainly because this was made as a definitive statement - one which I can't say that I noticed any real difference in age - almost everyone I have run across inside and outside ACG has been 30 or better.

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve been posting on the ACG side of things since issue one came out (although my date and post numbers got screwed during the merger – just search on my posts if you need proof). I don’t necessarily agree that things have gone downhill. Sure, there were plenty of confrontations and conflicts, but I think that’s a good thing. This place would be boring as hell if we all got along perfectly.

Of course, there probably were a few posts that were below the belt or perhaps not up to standards (I may have even started some of these), but I think we can probably blame the elections on most of that.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Doctor said:
Ivan, I know you don't appreciate the American political discourse
I have no problem with it - but there is a political forum, and that's where it should stay imo.

it's when every other thread gets invaded that it irks me :D

and my comments were regarding members posting anti-Republican or anti-Democrat nonsense that detracted from the real issues.

/preachy mode :D

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm glad the American elections were over. We cared so much about it (Americans & foreigners) that pretty much everyone (including myself!) went over the top. However those threads almost all had some very thought provoking information & logic, if you could get beyond the shouting. :)

I joined the ACG in the early summer. The topics were more varied, so I look forward to a wider universe of discussions. :)

Marines

Reaction score
The Doctor said:
I joined ACG just prior to the merger. While I will agree that the political season has ginned up a lot of heated and repetitive arguments - usually involving me and 5 or 6 other political junkies - some of them have been fairly thought provoking. Ivan, I know you don't appreciate the American political discourse; I appologize for the inconvenience, but I've had a lot of fun debating PurdyRC (Rick) on politics and Overseer (James) on Global Warming.
It's a great topic.

I'm so glad I posted it. :D

Great commentary by all I might add.

Marines

Reaction score
Lt. Dan said:
This is directed towards the members of the forum that were here before Amrchair General and Warfare HQ merged. Since this merger, I've been noticing the topics and the discussion in this Off-Topic Forum go sort of downhill in the way of quality. I remember before the merger that there were a lot of threads on here that were thought-provoking and interesting, but since then the number of thought-provoking, interesting, and intellectual discussions in this forum have decreased considerably. That's just my observation and sense of the situation. I'd like your thoughts on this.

P.S.

No insult is intended towards anyone in this forum
I would have to agree.

It has gone downhill.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<<and my comments were regarding members posting anti-Republican or anti-Democrat nonsense that detracted from the real issues. >>

As those who won would like to remind you... "Four More Years"... even on here it seems... :rolleyes:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
chrisvalla said:
<<and my comments were regarding members posting anti-Republican or anti-Democrat nonsense that detracted from the real issues. >>

As those who won would like to remind you... "Four More Years"... even on here it seems... :rolleyes:
Someday I truly wish you get over this fixation on losing,...I have! ;) :p