Objective Schmidt on VASL?

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The boards are finished. The counters are currently being worked and the BFP.mdx updated accordingly. Can't be definitive on a timeline, but it will sooner than later.
This was back on Feb 7. As someone who doesn't spend a lot on ASL any longer but still buys everything BFP releases I will say that this seems to be taking a remarkably long time. Is there some major sticking point?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was back on Feb 7. As someone who doesn't spend a lot on ASL any longer but still buys everything BFP releases I will say that this seems to be taking a remarkably long time. Is there some major sticking point?
Yep, free time. I’m not being snarky as I respect your question. It’s certainly valid. To do a good job, this stuff takes lots of our free time. I think all volunteers are happy to devote their free time to projects like this, but the fact is that free time is limited. I know you understand this so please don’t think I’m preaching...I’m not...just restating the fact that time is the greatest limitation.

BFP is very supportive of our effort. For that I thank them. Their assistance reduces the amount of time our task takes.

And we are close.

Maps are done...counters are done...the initial module extension has been play tested and work now is incorporating the feedback attained. We are close

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the friendly reply. I'm certainly not trying to be critical or demanding. But most of my play is on VASL and I've been keen to play something big from from Schmidt. My primary opponent and I are just wrapping up a VotG scenario and are almost ready to pick our next battle. :)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think we are all thankful to the good people who devote their time and energy to maintaining this wonderful toy that is VASL. I know I would play maybe 10% of the games I play every year if it wasn't for VASL.

What kind of skills would one need in order to be able to help?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What kind of skills would one need in order to be able to help?
My involvement is mostly graphics. I’m self taught from Tuomo’s excellent map making guides. Familiarity with vector and raster programs like Inkscape and Gimp is a good start.

I can’t speak for the coders but if you’re one, I’m sure they would fill you in on how you could assist in their efforts.

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested in learning more. Both Jackson and Spencer came on board this year and they’re helping a bunch. You can’t even see their lobotomy scar

Al

big al 7 3 7 at g-m-a-i-l dot c-o-m (no spaces or dashes)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The kind of skills THAT LOOK GOOD IN MY BANK ACCOUNT, PHILIPPE!

:D
If there is any kind of analogy to early map-making in ASL, I could draw some appealing numbers with crayon to your bank account. Can't guarantee, though, if the bank-people will embrace them.

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My involvement is mostly graphics. I’m self taught from Tuomo’s excellent map making guides. Familiarity with vector and raster programs like Inkscape and Gimp is a good start.

I can’t speak for the coders but if you’re one, I’m sure they would fill you in on how you could assist in their efforts.

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested in learning more. Both Jackson and Spencer came on board this year and they’re helping a bunch. You can’t even see their lobotomy scar

Al

big al 7 3 7 at g-m-a-i-l dot c-o-m (no spaces or dashes)
Rather have a bottle in front of me than the frontal lobotomy...

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also curious, any update on the release of the VASL components for OS?

Thanks for all the hard work to those who are making these possible.

Chad

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a side note, would be happy to help test the WIP module. Not much for coding, but can assist in the testing process for this and future BFP VASL modules.

Thanks

Chad

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
This was six full months ago!
Yep. I won’t preorder another BFP product unless it is advertised to be released with a VASL module. They are good, but if I can’t play them why waste the money.

Last edited:

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep. I won’t preorder another BFP product unless it is advertised to be released with a VASL module. They are good, but if I can’t play them why waste the money.
We support VASL 100%, but some things are simply out of our control when it comes to the VASLization process. You can ask BigAl how long the VASL gnomes and elves have had our stuff in hand. But yeah, it's been since at least January of this year. I would ask you if you also take that approach with MMP products as well(e.g. Hatten in Flames)? I do ping every once in a while to ask on status, and while I've seen some email flurry going around on it, these guys in the end ARE volunteers so while we can try and cajole, it is only going to come out given the cycles they can put into it.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the VASLization process is out of your control then I believe you need to take control since VASL is now the primary means that many use for playing ASL. Consider it an integral part of your products release rather than some special addon that some random volunteer might cobble together at some dim time in the future.

Six months ago the boards were done and all that was needed was for the counter images to be placed within the MDX file. This is not a huge undertaking. It's great that players volunteer to do this work but if the work simply isn't getting done then somebody else needs to take over.

I'm disappointed because Schmidt has just been sitting unused since I bought it seven months ago. Like Jeff Waldon above I won't buy future BFP products until the vassal module is updated to include the new product.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was six full months ago!
My sincere apologies guys.

Work on OS progressed steadily until about 3 months ago. Then life stuff happened. Funny thing with life stuff you always think it will be temporary and won’t impact you as much as it does. Then it lingers. And lingers and lingers. So I never expected OS to be delayed as long as it has.

I owed you guys an update well before now and for that, I do apologize.

Korea has stalled too for the same reasons.

I’m optimistic that work on both will resume in the fall. OS is pretty close. Still tons of work to do on Korea. Haven’t even started HiF. Don’t even have my copy yet but it appears there are no special HiF counters. That’s a big time saver but there are reasons you shouldn’t expect HiF for about 6 months.

None of the VASL work completed so far is proprietary for the current VASL volunteers. If anyone wanted to take over one of these projects, they are welcome to. I’ll assist you in any way I can.

And I’ll give a shout out to Rick. Rick is a great supporter of VASL. He immensely simplified the conversion process for OS. Did the same for PiF too. The OS delay is no way due to him.

Finally, I hope I don’t sound preachy or derogatory in any way. I know you guys understand the time constraints on your VASL volunteers. I also know how much you’d like to have it in your hands. I would too.

Allan

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
snip...

Six months ago the boards were done and all that was needed was for the counter images to be placed within the MDX file. This is not a huge undertaking.

snip..
Not to isolate your other points which I do understand, but to be fair, putting counters in an mdx file is a huge undertaking.

Allan

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have a huge interest in putting my Korea module to play. Heck, I help proofread the thing, imagine how long I have been waiting to get a scenario in.

So I volunteered to help with the counters. Just the CPVA ones.

It's intricate, slow, repetitive and tedious work. The CPVA reduces like the IJA, so there's even more "faces" to do. Slow, one by one, found a mistake, go back and fix ..etc.

One by one.

And I was just doing the graphics, which is far from putting in all the right click wizbang etc.

VASL is tough work - one that only people who don't get paid will do.

I wouldn't be playing ASL if not for VASL - which translates to -> I wouldn't have all these terrific friends, some of whom I talk to weekly, if not for VASL.

Rgds Jack
PS Honestly not sure what Al has to apologise for -- thanks so very much for keeping the VASL light going

Last edited: