OBA with no LOS

J P

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am wondering whether OBA can be dropped without LOS to an enemy unit AND with no enemy unit (known or un-known) in the blast area?
Basically i want to drop arty in the jungle on my flank to stop him outflanking me and make him attack the centre. Is this possible?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
No reason why this isn't possible. You'll need LOS to the hex you're firing into of course, but there are no requirements for there to be enemy units (known or unknown) in the blast radius.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jp said:
Is this possible?
Yes, and don't forget to use harrassing fire; you get more coverage, and the Air Burst DRM makes even low firepower OBA very effective.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is one of those oddities. Whereas firing at an empty building uses case K, letting loose a barrage or harassing fire into only empty hexes is treated the same as blasting KEUs.

C1.21 In addition, whenever placing an AR counter onboard in order to place (1.3) or Correct (1.4) a SR/FFE, and whenever Converting any SR/FFE:C to a FFE:1 (1.332-.333; 1.342), Battery Access must be attempted a second (i.e., an extra) time if >= one non-hidden enemy ground unit is in/adjacent-to the AR (or, when Converting, to the SR/FFE:C) counter's hex but none of those units are Known to the Observer (see also 1.6).
One of the purposes of such a rule is apparently your particular tactical need.