OBA using an aerial observer

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

We have an aerial observer for a 100mm OBA purchased in a RB scenario - the RB purchase record indicates that the 100mm OBA module can fire HE/Smoke/IR.

If we have not purchased the aerial observer the module could fire smoke or HE for that matter into targeting a hex devoid of enemy units in the target hex or the 6 surrounding hexes of the normal blast zone, my understanding is this does not require a second OBA chit draw. However, the aerial observer sections E7.6 indicate that a sighting check must be made - in order to do this it seems that a target (concealed or unconcealed) must be stated to undertake the sighting TC.

Does this mean an aerial observer cannot use the OBA module to lay covering smoke or target a location that contains no enemy units, if it can what does it do about the sighting task check?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
E7.3 allows Aerial Observers to target "empty" hexes for their Sighting TC.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok I thanks I missed that does this mean that none of the modifiers for a STC apply other than the smoke/mist/fog etc LOS hindrances when targeting an empty hex.

E.G when tethering an empty building hex the +3 STC modifier is not applied as there is no target IN the building the STC is being taken against the building itself ?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the target hex is a building the +3 DRM would apply even though there is no enemy unit on board in the hex.