OBA SSR: Getting the Wording Right

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'd come close to wagering a bet that EVERYONE would assume it was secret, sans yourself :)
Most scenarios that have a non-hex-specified Offboard Observer SSR explicitly state that it is secretly recorded - which would IMO indicate that "non-secret" is the default.

And I think this applies in general in the ASL rules as well - if the rules don't specifically calls out that something is secret it isn't - it might not necessarily be the way people play it though. :)

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I would question this part of the SSR.

It would mean that a unit broken in the middle of the FFE could freely rout around in the RtPhase (the FFE:1 is resolved at the end of the Prep Fire Phase). That seems a bit friendly for OBA.
Good point. I certainly don't want to limit the OBA that much.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Another stab ...

5. The Germans receive one module of 100+mm OBA (HE/Smoke) directed by an Offboard Observer(C1.63) at Level 3 in a south-edge hex recorded openly after American setup. The first chit draw is automatically black; permanently remove one black chit from the Draw Pile (C1.211). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE and one Smoke, and each Fire Mission is automatically Cancelled at the end of the Player Turn that FFE:1 is resolved. Extra chit draws (C1.21) are NA for the first Fire Mission.

I agree that if it doesn't specify a "secret" location, then it defaults to public, but I also want to avoid misinterpretation. I'm saying "after American setup" because the way the scenario currently stands, the Germans set up first and move first. (The Germans set up three broken squads that represent the remnants of the security force, but the Americans still set up as if there were no German units on board.)

Perhaps the SSR is getting too complicated and I should revert to something more standard, maybe just say all Fire Missions are Cancelled at the the end of Turn 3. Something like that.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Another stab ...

5. The Germans receive one module of 100+mm OBA (HE/Smoke) directed by an Offboard Observer(C1.63) at Level 3 in a south-edge hex, revealed before play begins. The first chit draw is automatically black; permanently remove one black chit from the Draw Pile (C1.211). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE and one Smoke, and each Fire Mission is automatically Cancelled at the end of the Player Turn that each FFE:1 is resolved. Extra chit draws (C1.21) are NA for the first Fire Mission.
I'd make the changes in red above.

Perhaps the SSR is getting too complicated and I should revert to something more standard, maybe just say all Fire Missions are Cancelled at the the end of Turn 3. Something like that.
Personally, I don't think having the FFE:1 cancelled/removed at the end of the Player Turn is complicating things that much.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
"revealed before play begins"

The problem here is that it doesn't spell out when the German player gets to select the observer's hex, just when it's revealed.

In any case, of course, I really appreciate your help.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
"revealed before play begins"

The problem here is that it doesn't spell out when the German player gets to select the observer's hex, just when it's revealed.
True.

Though personally I'd still go with the "secretly recorded" option or just specifiy a hex in the SSR.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
True.

Though personally I'd still go with the "secretly recorded" option or just specifiy a hex in the SSR.
Yeah, I'm thinking just specifying the hex in the SSR is the way to go. It would make things simpler and doesn't appear that would make that much difference to the American setup.