OBA SSR: Getting the Wording Right

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
In the U.S. cavalry scenario I'm working on, the German attack was supported with "mobile artillery", which most likely was 105mm guns (Wespe). I'm striving to find the right balance where the artillery support is meaningful but not too devastating or too dicey. I thought about abstracting it like some scenarios do and calling for an American an MC or PTC at the beginning of the game, something like that, but didn't think it fit the spirit of the action where the Germans are hitting hard and fast and there wasn't a prolonged preliminary bombardment.

What I'm settling on is something like this. The Germans get a module of 100mm OBA directed by an off-board observer, first chit draw is black. The main German forces enter turn 2, so there's a full turn to get the artillery directed (and a turn for the Americans to respond). So far so good, but I want to limit the OBA to one resolution of HE concentration and one resolution of smoke. I'm not sure if "resolution" is the right word or if that's going to be clear to players.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So far so good, but I want to limit the OBA to one resolution of HE concentration and one resolution of smoke. I'm not sure if "resolution" is the right word or if that's going to be clear to
players.
"Fire Mission" are the words you are looking form.

Something like this (probably needs some words-tweaking):
"The OBA Module is limited to a maximum of two Fire Missions, one HE Concentration and one Smoke."

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
For a small to mid sized scenario I think Klas's idea would work (2 FM).

Another interesting idea perhaps is if the game is med to large and say 7 to 9 or so turns do the same but limit it to 2 FM or 3 FM, one of which can/has to be smoke.

Have the full black/red chit in a tourney or smallish scenario can break it, with CG, it's not as big of deal, for example in my Berlin CG, the stupid Russian 7-0 kicked the field phone down stairs for the battalion MTR, with out a shot, so I get it next CG day, the other module is dropping smoke now...

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
"Fire Mission" are the words you are looking form.

Something like this (probably needs some words-tweaking):
"The OBA Module is limited to a maximum of two Fire Missions, one HE Concentration and one Smoke."
I wasn't sure about "Fire Mission", thinking it might refer to a full sequence of FFE1, FFE2 and so on where the OBA player could get multiple attacks in.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you only wish one ffe:1 to be resolved then you will need further wording.

Do you wish to have the mission resolved prior to the Germans enetering? If so, you will need to allow the German player to treat the concealed US targets as known targets for purposes of OBA to avoid the extra chit draw.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I wasn't sure about "Fire Mission", thinking it might refer to a full sequence of FFE1, FFE2 and so on where the OBA player could get multiple attacks in.
It is, but I thought that is what you wanted. If not, you will need to add something like this:
"After the resolution of an FFE:1, the Fire Mission is automatically cancelled.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Okay, how about this?

5. German receives one module of 100mm OBA directed by a level three off-board observer from a south edge hex secretly recorded prior to setup (revealed when the first FFE:1 is resolved). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE Concentration and one Smoke. The first chit draw is automatically black. Each Fire Mission ends after the resolution of FFE:1. American concealment counters are considered known units for this module.

Does this make sense and is it sufficiently clear?

Of course I may tweak it, depending on how things go in testing.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
For a small to mid sized scenario I think Klas's idea would work (2 FM).

Another interesting idea perhaps is if the game is med to large and say 7 to 9 or so turns do the same but limit it to 2 FM or 3 FM, one of which can/has to be smoke.

Have the full black/red chit in a tourney or smallish scenario can break it, with CG, it's not as big of deal, for example in my Berlin CG, the stupid Russian 7-0 kicked the field phone down stairs for the battalion MTR, with out a shot, so I get it next CG day, the other module is dropping smoke now...
Currently it's sitting at 11 squads and 4 vehicles for the Amis and 16 squads and 8 vehicles for the Germs, 7 turns (although the first turn should be a quicky). I'm thinking that's medium-sized or large tourney.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
American concealment counters are considered known units for this module.
Personally I would drop this, and give the module a pre-registered hex (maybe without an extra black chit if warranted) and SSR in that an "extra" chit draw is NA when the AR is placed in the PR hex.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would further modify the wording. Prior to German setup, prior to all setup, that sort of thing. I suspect the intent is prior to ALL setup.
Okay, how about this?

5. German receives one module of 100mm OBA directed by a level three off-board observer from a south edge hex secretly recorded prior to setup (revealed when the first FFE:1 is resolved). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE Concentration and one Smoke. The first chit draw is automatically black. Each Fire Mission ends after the resolution of FFE:1. American concealment counters are considered known units for this module.

Does this make sense and is it sufficiently clear?

Of course I may tweak it, depending on how things go in testing.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally I like the concealed units are considered known rule. Between skilled players, defenders will go to great lengths not to have a known unit around a SR, just to get the extra chit draw. This takes away that manuevering. Depending on the designers intent, that could be construed as either a good or bad thing.
Personally I would drop this, and give the module a pre-registered hex (maybe without an extra black chit if warranted) and SSR in that an "extra" chit draw is NA when the AR is placed in the PR hex.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I don't want to trample the OBA rules too much. How about this ...

5. German receives one module of 100mm OBA directed by a level three off-board observer from a south edge hex secretly recorded prior to all setup (revealed when the first FFE:1 is resolved). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE concentration and one smoke. The first chit draw is automatically black. Each Fire Mission ends after the resolution of FFE:1. Extra chit draws are NA for the smoke mission.

This would pretty much guarantee the Germans, if they chose, could get Smoke down during turn 2 prep before their units came on board. They could then seek good opportunities to land the HE Concentration. I'm giving the Germans a pretty high SAN to help account for continued sporadic bombardment. To me it seems to make sense that FFE protocols could be looser for smoke in terms of having clearly identified enemy units to shoot at.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
5. German receives one module of 100mm OBA directed by a level three off-board observer from a south edge hex secretly recorded prior to all setup (revealed when the first FFE:1 is resolved). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE concentration and one smoke. The first chit draw is automatically black. Each Fire Mission ends after the resolution of FFE:1. Extra chit draws are NA for the smoke mission.
I would drop the "revealed when the first FFE:1 is resolved" - is it important ?

I would also have the "no extra chit draw" applying to the first Fire Mission, instead of the Smoke Fire Mission, since what type of FM isn't normally decided when the initial AR is being placed.

And I would just write "HE" - instead of "HE Concentration", so Harrassing Fire can be choosen (unless you wan't to prohibit that).

I would write it like this:

5. The Germans receive one module of 100+mm OBA (HE/Smoke) directed by an Offboard Observer (C1.63) at Level 3 in a south-edge hex recorded secretly prior to setup. The first chit draw is automatically black; permanently remove one black chit from the Draw Pile (C1.211). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE and one Smoke, and each Fire Mission is automatically Cancelled after the resolution of each FFE:1. There are no extra chit draws (C1.21) necessary for the first Fire Mission.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I would drop the "revealed when the first FFE:1 is resolved" - is it important ?

I would also have the "no extra chit draw" applying to the first Fire Mission, instead of the Smoke Fire Mission, since what type of FM isn't normally decided when the initial AR is being placed.

And I would just write "HE" - instead of "HE Concentration", so Harrassing Fire can be choosen (unless you wan't to prohibit that).

I would write it like this:

5. The Germans receive one module of 100+mm OBA (HE/Smoke) directed by an Offboard Observer (C1.63) at Level 3 in a south-edge hex recorded secretly prior to setup. The first chit draw is automatically black; permanently remove one black chit from the Draw Pile (C1.211). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE and one Smoke, and each Fire Mission is automatically Cancelled after the resolution of each FFE:1. There are no extra chit draws (C1.21) necessary for the first Fire Mission.
I chose to have the spotter location revealed for a couple of reasons. One is based on discussions here on the forum indicating that it wouldn't be too uncommon for troops to have an idea of where the enemy spotter likely would be once fire commenced. The other is for verification of sight lines. With a lot of obstructions it can be easy to make a mistake with LOS, miscalculating the number of blind hexes, and so forth. If it's revealed early, then the players could come to terms about what to do about a LOS mistake if it happened and continue with the game rather than ruin things if a mistake is discovered at the end. But now that I think about it, maybe it should not be a secret location at all, but chosen after the American set up.

I was thinking harassing fire might be too debilitating for the Americans but if I'm limiting it to one FFE resolution, then it's probably okay. So, good point. Also good point about applying the "no extra chit draw" to the first fire mission.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...But now that I think about it, maybe it should not be a secret location at all, but chosen after the American set up.
If this was a planned German attack/offensive and they had done their reconnaissance, that doesn't sound unreasonable.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
If this was a planned German attack/offensive and they had done their reconnaissance, that doesn't sound unreasonable.
The German attack was reactive (a few hours from orders to execution), but they should have had pretty good reconnaissance from various hills in the vicinity and the fact the Americans had just pushed a divisional security force out of the village in question.

My latest crack at it ...

5. German receives one module of 100+mm OBA (HE/Smoke) directed by an Offboard Observer(C1.53) at Level 3 from a south edge hex openly chosen by the German player after American setup. The first chit draw is automatically black; permanently remove one black chit from the draw pile (C1.211). The Module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE and one Smoke, and each Fire Mission is automatically canceled after the resolution of FFE:1. Extra chit draws (C1.21) are NA for the first Fire Mission.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The German attack was reactive (a few hours from orders to execution), but they should have had pretty good reconnaissance from various hills in the vicinity and the fact the Americans had just pushed a divisional security force out of the village in question.

My latest crack at it ...

5. German receives one module of 100+mm OBA (HE/Smoke) directed by an Offboard Observer(C1.53) at Level 3 from a south edge hex openly chosen by the German player after American setup. The first chit draw is automatically black; permanently remove one black chit from the draw pile (C1.211). The Module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE and one Smoke, and each Fire Mission is automatically canceled after the resolution of FFE:1. Extra chit draws (C1.21) are NA for the first Fire Mission.
To use more more "official" verbiage I would write it like this (changes in red):
"5. The Germans receive one module of 100+mm OBA (HE/Smoke) directed by an Offboard Observer(C1.63) at Level 3 in a south-edge hex recorded prior to German setup. The first chit draw is automatically black; permanently remove one black chit from the Draw Pile (C1.211). The module is limited to two Fire Missions, one HE and one Smoke, and each Fire Mission is automatically Cancelled after the resolution of each FFE:1. Extra chit draws (C1.21) are NA for the first Fire Mission.

Personally I would drop the "openly chosen by the German player" - IMO, if the SSR doens't say it is secret, then the default is that it isn't.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
T Fire Mission is automatically Cancelled after the resolution of each FFE:1. .
I would question this part of the SSR.

It would mean that a unit broken in the middle of the FFE could freely rout around in the RtPhase (the FFE:1 is resolved at the end of the Prep Fire Phase). That seems a bit friendly for OBA.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would question this part of the SSR.

It would mean that a unit broken in the middle of the FFE could freely rout around in the RtPhase (the FFE:1 is resolved at the end of the Prep Fire Phase). That seems a bit friendly for OBA.
It is resolved at the start (after Ordnance Smoke) of the PFPh/DFPh, but I see your point. I assume the OP has his reasons for it.

One other option could be to Cancel the Fire Mission at the end of the Player Turn in which the FFE:1 is resolved - that will keep it around for a little longer.

Last edited:

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally I would drop the "openly chosen by the German player" - IMO, if the SSR doens't say it is secret, then the default is that it isn't.
I'd come close to wagering a bet that EVERYONE would assume it was secret, sans yourself :)