OBA SR & Smoke height.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I’m pretty sure that I’m right, just double checking with the knowledgeable ones:

Assuming base level is a Ground level location, then; a Spotting Round or FFE is ‘3 levels’ high i.e. rising from ground level location & through the next two higher location levels. Smoke (non- WP) is ‘2 levels’ high i.e. rising from ground level location and through the next level.
So, putting things in order of ascending heights, you have: Ground level, Smoke, Spotting Round or FFE, WP Smoke.

Or a visual representation next a tall building:

Level 3. WP Smoke
Level 2. SR or FFE
Level 1. Smoke
Ground Level.

Is this correct?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A SR/FFE is 2 Levels high - not 3 levels high - same as Smoke.

Schrapnellls

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I’m pretty sure that I’m right, just double checking with the knowledgeable ones:

Assuming base level is a Ground level location, then; a Spotting Round or FFE is ‘3 levels’ high i.e. rising from ground level location & through the next two higher location levels. Smoke (non- WP) is ‘2 levels’ high i.e. rising from ground level location and through the next level.
So, putting things in order of ascending heights, you have: Ground level, Smoke, Spotting Round or FFE, WP Smoke.

Or a visual representation next a tall building:

Level 3. WP Smoke
Level 2. SR or FFE
Level 1. Smoke
Ground Level.

Is this correct?
Do you talk about FFE Smoke only or from different types?
For OBA, checking C1.32

SR/FFE/Smoke: to Lvl2
WP: to lvl4

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As a minor point, WP is four levels high when there is no wind; in mild breeze it is two levels high [A24.4].

Being "two levels high" means different things (in some way) for units (and OBA counters) versus obstacles and hindrances. A unit on a level two Location has LOS over two-level-high obstacles/hindrances to a different Location at level two (often with enemy units in it, but not necessarily) without blockage or hindrance. Two-level-high obstacles/hindrances are treated as if they were not there for LOS from a level two Location to another level two Location.

LOS to the top of an OBA counter is treated as if the OBA counter were a unit two levels above the hex's ground level, so an Observer on a level two Location has LOS over two-level-high obstacles/hindrances to a SR/FFE placed on a level zero hex, and that LOS is without blockage/hindrances. See the C1.62 EX ("even had the SR landed in W3 he still could have seen it").

JR

Last edited:

Schrapnellls

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you use an Observation Plane (E7.6), you don't have this problem, no additional blind hexes! :p
It would be easier!..... Uh, no, it isn't!

Schrapnellls
PS: Sorry to disturbing the thread, but I'm struggling with one in a VotG CG. Radio Contact+Sighting TC is a mess! ?

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
LOS to the top of an OBA counter is treated as if the OBA counter were a unit two levels above the hex's ground level, so an Observer on a level two Location has LOS over two-level-high obstacles/hindrances to a SR/FFE placed on a level zero hex, and that LOS is without blockage/hindrances. See the C1.62 EX ("even had the SR landed in W3 he still could have seen it").
Thanks all for the replies - jrv's explanation is the one I needed to grok the ability of an observer 'seeing over' a 2nd level obstacle to see the SR or FFE (I thought the SR/FFE had to be another level taller to be seen, I was incorrect).

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think I know why I was confused: if you're an observer on a Level 2 hilltop, you can see a Spotting Round (or FFE blast) over intervening 2nd level obstacles, but if that stonk leaves a Smoke FFE next turn, the same observer can see over (with no hinderance) the obstacle & Smoke with no ill effects. I therefore assumed an SR or FFE blast had to be taller/higher that Smoke.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This has always bothered me too. The way I "visualize" this is to imagine that for a soldier standing on a second level location, Smoke (or OBA) rises from ground level to his ankles (or knees or similar). He can see Smoke/OBA in other hexes over Smoke/Level two obstacles to other second level locations but it's not high enough to interfere with his LOS to or beyond them. If the Smoke was in his hex and he fired down, he would be firing through the Smoke. I don't mean this to be taken as literal truth, but it helps me remember how SMOKE/OBA and levels work.

JR

Last edited: