OBA Smoke question

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I placed a 70mm Smoke OBA in a pre-registered hex on my turn one. If I cancel the smoke fire mission in my defensive fire phase of turn one:

1 Do the seven +3 smoke counters remain on board and flip to dispersed +2 smoke in my turn two?

2. Can I attempt to place a new AR in my turn two?

3. Can I place a new FFE 70mm fire mission ( assuming radio contact, battery access) directly in the same preregistered hex as I did the smoke mission in turn one?

Thanks,
Rich

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MajorDomo said:
I placed a 70mm Smoke OBA in a pre-registered hex on my turn one. If I cancel the smoke fire mission in my defensive fire phase of turn one:

1 Do the seven +3 smoke counters remain on board and flip to dispersed +2 smoke in my turn two?

3. Can I place a new FFE 70mm fire mission ( assuming radio contact, battery access) directly in the same preregistered hex as I did the smoke mission in turn one?

Thanks,
Rich
Yes to all, except that on question 3 your observer must have LOS to the pre-registered hex and that will be difficult to do with all that smoke there. Rule C 1.73 v2.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hubbs5 said:
MajorDomo said:

Thanks,
Rich
Yes to all, except that on question 3 your observer must have LOS to the pre-registered hex and that will be difficult to do with all that smoke there. Rule C 1.73 v2.
NRBH but I believe that there is an exception somewhere in the immediately surrounding rules for LOS blocks by smoke for the AR/SR/FFE?

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz said:
Hubbs5 said:
MajorDomo said:

Thanks,
Rich
NRBH but I believe that there is an exception somewhere in the immediately surrounding rules for LOS blocks by smoke for the AR/SR/FFE?
It says in C 1.73 the observer must have LOS to a hex in the Battery so I am taking that to mean he could have LOS to a hex at the edge of the battery which would still be possible even with the smoke. In other words the way I am reading it it wouldn't have to be the center hex the observer has LOS to.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Is it just me or does it seem odd you need to observe for a pre-designated hex? Isn't the point of pre-designation so that the arty crew just dials in the elevation, etc and blasts away?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
zgrose said:
Is it just me or does it seem odd you need to observe for a pre-designated hex? Isn't the point of pre-designation so that the arty crew just dials in the elevation, etc and blasts away?
I think it is a question of trying to control player omniscience.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hubbs5 said:
It says in C 1.73 the observer must have LOS to a hex in the Battery so I am taking that to mean he could have LOS to a hex at the edge of the battery which would still be possible even with the smoke. In other words the way I am reading it it wouldn't have to be the center hex the observer has LOS to.

Having had a chance to take a (very quick) look at the good book (V1, but I doubt it changed), C1.334 and C1.335 talk about required/optional correction of an exisiting FFE. All LOS requirements are evaluated excepting any SMOKE that may be present.

So.....if you have a SMOKE FFE and you want to change it to an HE FFE, it may be possible. I don't have time to go through the required choreography of FFE1/FFE2/FFEC/AR and canceled OBA mission management on the OBA flowchart, which may still screw it up.

mdholt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C 1.334 Disregarding smoke if he currently has LOS blah blah may leave the FFE
So you dont have to worry about there being smoke in the hex for an FFE HE mission.
And any SMOKE place by OBA in the DFPH is dispersed anyway rule
A 24.5 only PFPH SMOKE is full strength.
So if you are worried about SMOKE blocking your view there is no need to cancel your SMOKE FFE it will still be dispersed smoke on your turn 2 PFPH and be removed anyway. That way you can leave your FFE C on the board and just flip it with access and radio contact. :D

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
zgrose said:
I believe there is even a lenghty footnote in Chapter C about this omniscience.

Keith

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't you just LOVE it when the rules assume you're omniscient? :lol:

Sam "Beating New Players since 1995" B.