OBA SMOKE mission and Voluntary Loss of Contact

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation:

During his Prep Fire phase a player achieves radio contact...draws a black chit...and succeeds in placing a SMOKE mission on the board...and the counter is flipped to FFE:2.

During the subsequent player turn...that same player does NOT roll for radio contact (reason being unimportant for purpose of this question) during his Defensive Fire phase...so we go to the Flow Chart.

Is Radio Contact established or maintained?: No
Is SR or FFE:2 on board?: Yes
Is this absence of Contact Voluntary?: Yes
Result: Access Lost Remove Counters

Ok...so we pull the FFE:2 counter off the board and no more SMOKE comes down. But what happens to the SMOKE that is already on the board? According to the result that would be removed as well...but it seems weird that it would just magically disappear... :)

Thoughts?

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mate

My read on C1.35, says ""any cancellation of an FFE immediately ends that fire mission and causes the removal of that FFE counter from on board""
going a little further into C1 .7, it lists a set of reasons that the smoke can't be placed. For example mud deep snow water obstacles et cetera et cetera and then it goes on to list a number of reasons that the smoke is removed immediately. And cancelling the FFE IS NOT one of those reasons.

Now I have not as far as I can recollect ever cancelled and FFE in mid ""smoking"" lol
but unless someone says otherwise I would say that there is no requirement to remove the smoke until it does so as dispursed smoke in the normal manner it's just that no more new smoke is going to be created by that FFE

And there are many cases where I have been wrong in my assessment, JRV has made a career of proving me wrong lol lots ! (Lov ya JR ? )

Hope this helps

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is this absence of Contact Voluntary?: Yes
C1.22 "failing to roll for Contact/maintenance is considered voluntary loss of Contact only if the Observer has no LOS to the SR's/FFE's Blast Height; 1.32)." The term "voluntary" for OBA loss of contact is perhaps a bad one. I am assuming the Observer had LOS when it failed to roll, and if so the answer here should be, "no."

That said I am not aware of any reason that SMOKE should be removed because of breakdown in the OBA process.

JR

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We came to the same conclusion as you guys and did leave the SMOKE on board.