OBA Question

hanzelmans

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a recent game, we had an OBA situation arise where both my opponent and I were confused as to how to find resolution.

Basically my offboard observer corrected an SR and declared that it would be converted to an FFE following accuracy/error. The accuracy dr didn't come up so I corrected for error.

My observer had a LOS to the SR base level, but there were no opponents in the hex or adjacent to it. Since I had declared that the SR would be converted, I drew a chit to see if I could keep the SR in place.

Was that correct or should we have converted it to FFE even though there were no targets in the SR hex or adjacent to it?

Thanks,
Steve

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hanzelmans said:
My observer had a LOS to the SR base level, but there were no opponents in the hex or adjacent to it. Since I had declared that the SR would be converted, I drew a chit to see if I could keep the SR in place.
First, an extra chit draw is not necessary unless there are only unknown (disregarding HIP) enemy units in/adjacent to the SR location.
Hanzelmans said:
Was that correct or should we have converted it to FFE even though there were no targets in the SR hex or adjacent to it?
You should have converted it to an FFE:1; you had predeclared it and C1.333 criteria were met.

hanzelmans

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian,
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure if no targets was the same as hidden targets, so I made a mistake in how I read (or misread) the rules.

Thanks for the correction.

Steve

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a very good tactic for the defender in this. While an extra chit draw is necessary when there are un-known enemy units in/adjacent to the SR, there is nothing if there are no enemy units in/adjacent to the SR. By placing an FFE:1 harrassing fire mission two hexes away, you can hit a unit that is out of LOS without the need for an extra chit draw. This is especially effective in wooded areas and against OT vehicles, since there are negative modifiers that make up for losing 2/3 of the FP.

Harrassing fire is a very effective tool to slow up an attacker and adds the benefit of hitting the enemy without needing to take an extra chit draw.