OBA LOS over roofs

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
In observing a village some 2 km away the OBA observer notices many roofs and all in his LOS.

DOES the fact that the AR./SR landed on the roof ( as it was the first thing it hit on the way down) grant LOS as if it landed on open ground etc?

Ta

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In observing a village some 2 km away the OBA observer notices many roofs and all in his LOS.

DOES the fact that the AR./SR landed on the roof ( as it was the first thing it hit on the way down) grant LOS as if it landed on open ground etc?

Ta
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if the base level of the SR round is at roof height?

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We have hit similar problems - when spotting round/FFE land on interior building hexes - does the blast height rise from the roof or the ground level? As it is an interior building hex there is no ‘open ground’ or other terrain in the hex.

what happens in a 2.5 level factory - does the SR/FFE go through the roof and rise from the ground level of the factory thus not being seen from outside the factory or does it rise from the roof of the factory.

is the application different for factories and roof hexes on interior non factory buildings.

I believe that if the SR/FFE lands in an exterior factory or building that also has some portion of the hex being open ground or other terrain then it rises from the base level of the hex rather than from the rooftop location but don’t know how to apply this to interior building/factory hexes

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I believe that if the SR/FFE lands in an exterior factory or building that also has some portion of the hex being open ground or other terrain then it rises from the base level of the hex ...
An AR/FFE always rises from the Base Level of its hex. Note also, per the Index, that a non-Interior building hex has to have at least one hexside clear for VBM to have the lowest level as its Base Level - just some Open Ground is not enough.

Index:
Base Level (normally the lowest level Location other than cellar/sewer/tunnel in a hex; however, if the lowest level Location in building hex does not allow VBM along at least one hexside of that hex, the Base Level is that of the highest building level in that hex [EX: The Base Level of 20C7 is 2½; that of 20D7 is 0]): C1.32

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok but rule b23.32 states that if an interior building hex is hit then only the Rooftop highest level of the building are effected - if there is a 2 level interior building does this mean the the FFE only hits the roof and second level and thus the blast height rises for 2 levels from the 2 level which is the only one it effects or does the blast hex rise from the base level even though in this instance the FFE has no effect at this level?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Ok but rule b23.32 states that if an interior building hex is hit then only the Rooftop highest level of the building are effected - if there is a 2 level interior building does this mean the the FFE only hits the roof and second level and thus the blast height rises for 2 levels from the 2 level which is the only one it effects or does the blast hex rise from the base level even though in this instance the FFE has no effect at this level?
The Base Level in an Interior building is "that of the highest building level in that hex" - so the FFE does rise from the Base Level - but in an Interior building hex the Base Level is not just the Ground Level.

Now, I am not sure if there's an exception for Factories.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok that makes sense - so an interior 2 level building hex which is hit by a ST or FFE 2 has a base level of 2 and thus the blast height rises to level 4.

if we apply this logic to Interior factory hexes then:

for a 1.5 level factory - has a roof at level 1.5 and the next level is ground level so the base level is ground level and the blast height effectively rises to 1/2 level above the roof.

for a 2.5 level factory/ has a rook level of 2.5 and the next level down is ground level so the base level of the hex is ground level, the blast level is thus to level 2 meaning that SR/FFE’s cannot be seen from outside the interior factory hex unless it is roofless

this is how we have been playing it but we’re not sure if we had it correct

regards
Simon

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok that makes sense - so an interior 2 level building hex which is hit by a ST or FFE 2 has a base level of 2 and thus the blast height rises to level 4.

if we apply this logic to Interior factory hexes then:

for a 1.5 level factory - has a roof at level 1.5 and the next level is ground level so the base level is ground level and the blast height effectively rises to 1/2 level above the roof.

for a 2.5 level factory/ has a rook level of 2.5 and the next level down is ground level so the base level of the hex is ground level, the blast level is thus to level 2 meaning that SR/FFE’s cannot be seen from outside the interior factory hex unless it is roofless

this is how we have been playing it but we’re not sure if we had it correct

regards
Simon
Would you think that if rooftops are in play?
B28.3 states, "Rooftops are treated the same as another building floor level at the next higher half-level elevation except as amended below." Seeing no exceptions for SR/OBA in the following B28.3* rules, the blast height on an interior factory building would rise from the rooftop. Now if rooftops are not in play that may be a different matter.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am wondering exactly what Eagle4ty is wondering.

FWIW I'm in favor of (but have no actual RB justification) for treating in-play, and out of play factory rooftops differently... when rooftops are in play... then they can support squads of men, they can support some Guns... the SR would land on them and stop right there. When rooftops are out of play... nobody can go up there... it makes me think they are classic old factory roofs that are paned glass to let in daylight. A SR would smash right thru the glass to the factory floor. Like I said, it's not the RB, but it makes sense to me.