OBA correction ... which hexes are legal

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 7-0 called in smoke. He now wants to move the smoke. Can he move and roll for dir/dis to AA4-7, BB4-7, or CC5-7? Could he even move it to Y5 and Y6?

Attachments

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
My understanding is that he cannot correct to any of the above hex choices.

While the decision to correct the FFE can ignore the SMOKE hindrance for some purposes (see C1.33ff.), the placement of a new AR/FFE must take the SMOKE into account as with any AR. Due to the combination of SMOKE and grain in your examples, all of your hex choices would incur a +6 or more hindrance, thus blocking LOS from the 7-0 leader.

I'm not 100% certain on this, but close... I'd be interested in other input.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
AA4 has only a +3 Smoke Hindrance and so is in LOS, as are Y5 and Y6. All the others have 6+ hindrances, which blocks LOS. When you place an AR to move the OBA, the first test on placement is whether the Observer has LOS to a Location in the hex with the AR. If the answer is "no," depending on the context it may only cost you a turn, or it may cancel the mission.

SMOKE is disregarded only in the context of deciding whether there is mandatory correction. In your situation if the Observer does not have LOS to the hex with the FFE:2, but because SMOKE is disregarded *in the particular case of determining whether mandatory correction applies*, the Observer is considered to have LOS to the FFE:2 location, and so is not required to correct the FFE:2.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
AA4 has only a +3 Smoke Hindrance and so is in LOS, as are Y5 and Y6. All the others have 6+ hindrances, which blocks LOS. When you place an AR to move the OBA, the first test on placement is whether the Observer has LOS to a Location in the hex with the AR. If the answer is "no," depending on the context it may only cost you a turn, or it may cancel the mission.

SMOKE is disregarded only in the context of deciding whether there is mandatory correction. In your situation if the Observer does not have LOS to the hex with the FFE:2, but because SMOKE is disregarded *in the particular case of determining whether mandatory correction applies*, the Observer is considered to have LOS to the FFE:2 location, and so is not required to correct the FFE:2.

JR
Why aren't we counting the wheatfield hindrances as well? Seems like none of those target hexes miss going through at least three grain plus one SMOKE hex. Am I missing something? Even if we didn't count the SMOKE in the target hex, LOS to AA4 goes through 3 grains plus 1 SMOKE (Z4) so looks blocked to me.:dontknow

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Why aren't we counting the wheatfield hindrances as well? Seems like none of those target hexes miss going through at least three grain plus one SMOKE hex. Am I missing something? Even if we didn't count the SMOKE in the target hex, LOS to AA4 goes through 3 grains plus 1 SMOKE (Z4) so looks blocked to me.:dontknow
You're right. I overlooked the grain. If grain is in season, all the specified LOSes are blocked. I was focusing on the Smoke.

JR