OBA Chit Pull in VASL

LHMG

Reaction score
How do you simulate the chit draw for OBA in the VASL module games. I dont seem to be able to find a mechanism to do it. Thanks. Take care. Bill

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You click the stack in the OBA window for the module you added.

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 4.35.10 PM.png

LHMG

Reaction score
What happens after you go through all the chits once?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You win the prize for best OBA in the Universe!

And you type 8, 3 (or whatever) into the boxes to rebuild the chit pool.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And remember to add extra chit draws back to the pile after you draw them. You can add them back to the pile simply to clicking them after you've revealed them for your result.

LHMG

Reaction score
so you reshuffle any that you pull from the pile after each pull or what do you mean by extra chit draw

buser333

Reaction score
so you reshuffle any that you pull from the pile after each pull or what do you mean by extra chit draw
Sometimes, as in the case of the OBA being only ADJ to an unknown enemy unit, you need to take an extra chit draw. These extra chit draws go back into the pile. It is all in Chapter C.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The easiest way to learn is to go thru the oba flowchart.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1.21 ...Battery Access must be attempted a second (i.e., an extra) time if ≥ one non-hidden enemy ground unit is in/adjacent-to the AR (or, when Converting, to the SR/FFE:C) counter's hex but none of those units are Known to the Observer (see also 1.6).
1.211 DRAW PILE: Each battery's Draw Pile is assembled prior to setup, and comprises a number of black and red chits or playing cards (hereafter referred to collectively as chits) as listed in the form "#B/#R" in that nationality's "OBA ACCESS" column of the A25 National Capabilities Chart on the Chapter A divider. (OBA chits are the reverse side of certain DM counters.) Each Draw Pile can be increased at this time by one or more of the following, as applicable: one extra black chit if the battery has been assigned ≥ one Pre-Registered hex (1.73); one extra black chit if it is specified as having Plentiful Ammunition; one extra red chit if it has Scarce Ammunition. The Draw Pile is then "shuffled" and set aside for use during play. Whenever Battery Access is lost or a new chit draw is made, the previously drawn chit is removed permanently from the Draw Pile [EXC: each extra chit drawn as per 1.21 is mixed back into the Pile immediately after being revealed].

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reasons I love this game, #5,743. The nuances of developing an attack against defender OBA. The goal being to attack in such a way so that no reasonably placed defending observer can see any known units until you are too close to defending troops to be effectively engaged without risk. Requires an ability to read terrain, a good knowledge of LOS, especially blind spots, and an intimate knowledge of how the OBA system works. Please note that I possess none of these, but I do understand the theory!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think attacking with OBA is more difficult than attacking against it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Note, however, that the OBA Flow Chart is not complete - i.e., it does not include all situations.
So speaketh the wise Swede. And thus it is prudent to hearken!

Though I reckon that in practice most people never ever realize all situations and are mainly happy to make it through the flowchart... ;)

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So speaketh the wise Swede. And thus it is prudent to hearken!

Though I reckon that in practice most people never ever realize all situations and are mainly happy to make it through the flowchart... ;)
Use the rules I say - they are not as complicated as their reputation make them out to be. :)

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note, however, that the OBA Flow Chart is not complete - i.e., it does not include all situations.
Give us some examples of situation that are not covered on the flowchart. Thanks.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will say, I'm pretty decent at parsing the rules. The OBA rules are extremely difficult until you have somebody drop OBA on your head several times.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will say, I'm pretty decent at parsing the rules. The OBA rules are extremely difficult until you have somebody drop OBA on your head several times.
I'd say the OBA rules and the Night rules are the two sections which are most likely to produce ocular bleeding when I read them. Of course, I haven't tackled chapter G yet, so take that for what it's worth.

Alan

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the reason they're so hard for me to parse is that they don't seem to follow a real logical sequence. You kind of have to keep jumping back and forth through the rule book while you're trying to get your SR down. If they were easy there wouldn't be a flowchart necessary for most people to understand how it works until you get comfortable with it. I think I can do it without the flowchart now.