OBA card deck moving around in the OBA Modules window

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
There seems to be something weird with the OBA Modules window when you change the number of chits in a module.

How to reproduce the problem?

'Start new game offline'
Select board -> 01 (I'm sure it doesn't matter which board you pick)
Click 'Finish'
Click 'OBA' on toolbar
Click 'Add Module'
Change the black number from '8' to '10'

What happened?

Deck of cards moved to right so that 'black/red' now reads just 'k/red'. This also hides the text input field for the module name so that if I start typing there, I first cannot see what I am typing. I was also able to change the numbers so that I couldn't see anymore the numbers for black and red chits, but not sure anymore how I made that happen.

If I put less cards in the deck, the deck moves to the left, more cards and it moves to the right.

I can change the window size and then see everything but this might not be obvious for everyone.

I guess an ideal fix would be that even though the deck size changes, it stays in place.

Environment

Mac OS X 10.13.6
Java 8 Update 231
Vassal 3.2.17
VASL version 6.5.0 (also tested 6.4.4 with the same behaviour)

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was able to reproduce the problem, exactly as you described it. I will create a bug issue for it.

In the short term, before the bug is fixed, I found that if I closed the OBA window and then opened it back up again, it displayed properly. Let me know if you can get the same results. PITA but at least it makes the window usable.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
In the short term, before the bug is fixed, I found that if I closed the OBA window and then opened it back up again, it displayed properly. Let me know if you can get the same results.
Aha! That was actually how I got to the situation where I cannot even see the black / red numbers anymore :) What happens is, the window stays the same size, but now, instead of it reading "k/red" it says "black/red", but now the input fields with the numbers are so small that you can't see the numbers anymore (see the attached picture). So, no, on my setup that workaround doesn't work, but as you (I) can just resize the window however you like, it's not that big of a deal. But maybe something to look at at some point if it's not a big thing to fix.

Thanks for the reply and all the effort you put into working with VASL.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I was able to reproduce the problem, exactly as you described it. I will create a bug issue for it.

In the short term, before the bug is fixed, I found that if I closed the OBA window and then opened it back up again, it displayed properly. Let me know if you can get the same results. PITA but at least it makes the window usable.
I think I can explain why it happens:

The blank space to the left of the Draw Pile is as wide as required to display all of its cards drawn.
For that reason, if you add chits to the pile, it gets broader and if you take them away, it gets more narrow.

The easy fix for this is just to manually adjust the size of the window.

The programming fix for this is to auto-resize the window according to the number of chits in the Draw Pile.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL is a fickle mistress. Doug is her master.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The blank space to the left of the Draw Pile is as wide as required to display all of its cards drawn.
Ah, right, of course.

The programming fix for this is to auto-resize the window according to the number of chits in the Draw Pile.
Yeah... although changing the window size automatically when the user does something might give the user a "what the heck just happened?" feeling.

Other options (I have no idea how hard any of these would be to implement, just throwing ideas out there):
  • if the cards wouldn't fit, overlap them
  • if the cards wouldn't fit, make them smaller
  • by default, make the window size that much bigger that it will have enough space for 99 % of the cases, so maybe something like 13 cards?
I'm guessing the last option might be the easiest to implement and would probably be a good enough solution.