OB9 First Crack at Hellzapoppin Ridge question

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is the bamboo on the hill affected by SSR1? Is it treated as normal bamboo? Or has it also been leveled to half level? (Bamboo is treated as Dense Jungle is treated as Woods with exception). I think it is still regular bamboo but want to make sure.

Thanks,
John

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi John, good to see you here, it is Vic. Woods in the SSR was referring to actual 'woods' symbiology on the map so the Brush symbiology is still normal Bamboo as this is in the PTO. So treat brush as Bamboo as usual.

Have FUN with this one, it was very close in Dispatches at 27 - 23 American - Japanese, MMPs re-published it as OB9 and it is 5 - 7 in a slight edge to the Japanese which makes it 32 - 30 combined. Brutal assault for the Marines but they have enough muscle to pull it out.

Good luck and if you need anything I'm still at aslbunker@aol.com

Take care and be safe and well, Vic.

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Vic,

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I thought, but when my opponent & I read the historical background on the scenario we thought it seemed weird that the bombardment would level the woods and leave the bamboo standing so I figured I would pose the question.

We have played a few of the bunker scenarios recently and really enjoyed them. Keep up the good work!

John

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Seems if I apply the rules as stated Bamboo should be leveled in the SSR.

3.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all brush becomes bamboo. Bamboo is treated as dense jungle except as stated otherwise.

2.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all woods become jungle. If not defined as Light, the jungle is considered Dense (2.2). The term "jungle" by itself refers collectively to both types. Jungle is treated as woods except as stated otherwise.

Bamboo should be leveled to 1/2 level light jungle per SSR.
And it does seem really weird that all that hill would be leveled but somehow the few hexes of bamboo was left standing.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Seems if I apply the rules as stated Bamboo should be leveled in the SSR.

3.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all brush becomes bamboo. Bamboo is treated as dense jungle except as stated otherwise.

2.1 Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all woods become jungle. If not defined as Light, the jungle is considered Dense (2.2). The term "jungle" by itself refers collectively to both types. Jungle is treated as woods except as stated otherwise.

Bamboo should be leveled to 1/2 level light jungle per SSR.
And it does seem really weird that all that hill would be leveled but somehow the few hexes of bamboo was left standing.
We found leaving the Bamboo as is to be the easiest way and makes it that much harder for the Marines with Bamboo still in the way, not just jungle debris.

In any event, have fun, it is a brutal PTO assault on a fixed position action, Vic.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
I was going to use the Bamboo as cover for Marine advance on the hill.

But then.........we decided the whole hill was leveled. Now there is ZERO cover for the advance. In my view it was easier for Marines with Bamboo.