OB9 First Crack at Hellzapoppin' Ridge - "Jungle Debris"?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OB9 First Crack at Hellzapoppin' Ridge -- refers to "Jungle Debris". I assume each hex is +1 hindrance and that it's a soft hindrance to FL. Is that correct? I can't find references to it on MMP's Support site.

@Will Fleming @Zhen Wang

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
SSR1: "woods on board 39 hill hexes are instead jungle debris, which is treated exactly like Light Jungle except it is inherent terrain, is a half-level LOS hindrance instead of a two-level LOS obstacle, and Air Bursts are NA".

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
SSR1 "woods on board 39 hill hexes are instead jungle debris, which is treated exactly like Light Jungle except it is inherent terrain, is a half-level LOS hindrance instead of a two-level LOS obstacle, and Air Bursts are NA".

JR
Yes - that's on the scenario card.

That's not what I was asking.

I'd like to confirm that if Jungle Debris is considered SOFT HINDRANCE to FL please ?

Also - since Light Jungle itself is NOT a hindrance, I assume SSR1 means the Hindrance from Jungle Debris is +1 per hex?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yes - that's on the scenario card.

That's not what I was asking.

I'd like to confirm that if Jungle Debris is considered SOFT HINDRANCE to FL please ?

Also - since Light Jungle itself is NOT a hindrance, I assume SSR1 means the Hindrance from Jungle Debris is +1 per hex?
A LOS Hindrance hex is defined in A6.7 as a +1 DRM. This is regardless of terrain type.

A9.22 lists the hindrances that do not affect fire lanes. Jungle debris is not in that list, so it must affect fire lane placements and attacks.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A LOS Hindrance hex is defined in A6.7 as a +1 DRM. This is regardless of terrain type.

A9.22 lists the hindrances that do not affect fire lanes. Jungle debris is not in that list, so it must affect fire lane placements and attacks.

JR
Fire Lane "Hard" Hindrance (modifies Fire Lanes; AFV/Bridge/Crag/Debris/Graveyard/Olive Grove/Orchard/Palm Trees/Seawalls/Wooden Pier/Wreck): A9.222

Jungle debris not listed in the index as something that modifies Fire Lanes either. Thoughts?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Fire Lane "Hard" Hindrance (modifies Fire Lanes; AFV/Bridge/Crag/Debris/Graveyard/Olive Grove/Orchard/Palm Trees/Seawalls/Wooden Pier/Wreck): A9.222

Jungle debris not listed in the index as something that modifies Fire Lanes either. Thoughts?
Since both fire lane hard and soft Hindrances in the rule reference A9.222, I would go to the rule. It says, "the effects of Hindrance/hexside/bridge DRM are resolved as DRM to the Residual FP attack" with certain exceptions.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

When we played this we just picked up on the word "debris" (of any type, jungle or otherwise) and played it as a hard hindrance. I would believe this is making an assumption on the safe side.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Gents - this is coming up in the Chengdu tournament - so a ruling on this will be good 'cause whither soft or hard it makes a difference.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Gents - this is coming up in the Chengdu tournament - so a ruling on this will be good 'cause whither soft or hard it makes a difference.
I believe to interpret it otherwise "Jungle Debris" would have to be made something else as an entity such as "Jungle-Debris" [EX: Gully-Woods which differentiates it from a Gully Woods (should such a feature exist) or just a Gully or Woods].

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I believe to interpret it otherwise "Jungle Debris" would have to be made something else as an entity such as "Jungle-Debris" [EX: Gully-Woods which differentiates it from a Gully Woods (should such a feature exist) or just a Gully or Woods].
Correct - a la "Suicide Creek"

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
-> Light woods (B35) is also not listed in the index but is specifically stated in the rules, so I don't think it is something MMP really keeps updated. Pretty sure "Debris" (O1), "Light Woods" (B35) and "Jungle Debris" (this SSR) would all be ones that affect firelanes.

Might as well just spike all your MG's in that one Mr. Kwan. I am sure your opponent would appreciate it. Put your faith in those 150's instead!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
-> Light woods (B35) is also not listed in the index but is specifically stated in the rules, so I don't think it is something MMP really keeps updated. Pretty sure "Debris" (O1), "Light Woods" (B35) and "Jungle Debris" (this SSR) would all be ones that affect firelanes.

Might as well just spike all your MG's in that one Mr. Kwan. I am sure your opponent would appreciate it. Put your faith in those 150's instead!

I hope your opponents appreciate it and your TD rule it this way. :)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Light Woods is listed in the Index - see errata from page H190.

Fire Lane Hard Hindrance: After “Graveyard” add “/Light Woods”. {pH190}

Debris (O1) is listed in the Index as "hard" Hindrance as well.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
When we played this we just picked up on the word "debris" (of any type, jungle or otherwise) and played it as a hard hindrance. I would believe this is making an assumption on the safe side.

that is how we played it too. super fun scenario but I think a bit tough on the IJA