OB Bicycles

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR says Slovakian's have bicycles. Must they come on board with them or can they just be left? ASL 114 Cautious Crusaders

I guess at a PP 1 there is no harm in toting them around in case they are needed

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Certainly don't see where they HAVE to come on at all (or any other part of their OB for that fact as there's no CVP penalty that would hurt the Slovakians for that part). However, given the distance to the objective and based upon the Russian's setup, it may be to their benefit to enter mounted on them or at least portage them for later use.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
According to the big book, entry isn't voluntary:

A2.5 ENTRY: All forces scheduled to arrive on a certain turn must enter the mapboard on that turn — although if capable of movement in the APh, entry may be delayed until then.​
If unable to enter (due to enemy presence, rubble, or blaze), entry can be delayed but not refused.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to the big book, entry isn't voluntary:

A2.5 ENTRY: All forces scheduled to arrive on a certain turn must enter the mapboard on that turn — although if capable of movement in the APh, entry may be delayed until then.​
If unable to enter (due to enemy presence, rubble, or blaze), entry can be delayed but not refused.
Dad gummed ASLRB anyway! @#$!

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am sitting with the scenario set up (solo) and trying to work out what to do with the bicycles? I could just ignore them or use them to move south along the Q road. Anyone tried any interesting tactics with them - I can only think about peddling as fast as possible down the Q road if the Soviets have it only lightly covered and hope the mortar blows its ROF!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Would it be possible that the Slovakians could make good use of the bikes later in the scenario rather than upon entering the board?
Eagle4ty (post #2) wrote that the Slovakians have quite a long distance to cover.

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The problem I see with carrying them around is that bicycles can't move during the APh - which really slows the Slovaks down. Might still be worth it...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The problem I see with carrying them around is that bicycles can't move during the APh - which really slows the Slovaks down. Might still be worth it...
If you ride them, they can't advance. What if you portage them? ;)

von Marwitz

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Unfortunately still won't work: 'D15.82 Bicycles may be portaged as one PP, but not during the APh because (like motorcycles) they cannot be moved during the APh.' Struggling to find a use for them in this scenario...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Unfortunately still won't work: 'D15.82 Bicycles may be portaged as one PP, but not during the APh because (like motorcycles) they cannot be moved during the APh.' Struggling to find a use for them in this scenario...
I don't know the scenario - but what about this:
Take advantage of the added movment possibilities of the Bicylces. Have some Cyclists gather in a blind spot at the end of their MPh. You can dismount at no cost. Give all the Cycle counters you still need to one Squad/HS, then advance with the rest. That "carrying" unit might portage them in your next MPh to where you might need them, while your other units had the opportunity to advance in the previous turn.

von Marwitz

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the insight - maybe a job for a half-squad as I am sure I will not need all the bikes again. As bicycles only give an advantage on a road, I think abandoning them might just be the best idea. Neither road looks like the kinda place you want to be peddling down with a -2 DRM. I am also struggling to see how their road movement bonus will help later in the scenario - it is 9 turns long so seems to have enough time to reach the objective buildings.

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In my solo play through, the bicycles were abandoned at the crossroad (upper-centre). The lead unit took a chance and was broken so the other units dismounted a little way back and advanced from there. In the top centre, 2 LT vz 35(g)s have been plastering the Soviet mortar on the hill to the right and had just managed to break them. A sleazy LT vz 35(g) took advantage of the broken mortar unit and ran straight up the hill to the only other Soviet unit on the hill, who pinned trying to retain their concealment. The tank was going to pop smoke and move on but as the Soviets were pinned decided to hang around. This all gave the arriving Slovakian infantry a much easier time of it as they work their way through the grain. The Slovakian radio has yet to make contact with its battery but the Soviets have just placed a spotting round to try and stem the attack.7851

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the insight - maybe a job for a half-squad as I am sure I will not need all the bikes again. As bicycles only give an advantage on a road, I think abandoning them might just be the best idea. Neither road looks like the kinda place you want to be peddling down with a -2 DRM. I am also struggling to see how their road movement bonus will help later in the scenario - it is 9 turns long so seems to have enough time to reach the objective buildings.
This was exactly my thoughts too. That is why I asked.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my solo play through, the bicycles were abandoned at the crossroad (upper-centre). The lead unit took a chance and was broken so the other units dismounted a little way back and advanced from there. In the top centre, 2 LT vz 35(g)s have been plastering the Soviet mortar on the hill to the right and had just managed to break them. A sleazy LT vz 35(g) took advantage of the broken mortar unit and ran straight up the hill to the only other Soviet unit on the hill, who pinned trying to retain their concealment. The tank was going to pop smoke and move on but as the Soviets were pinned decided to hang around. This all gave the arriving Slovakian infantry a much easier time of it as they work their way through the grain. The Slovakian radio has yet to make contact with its battery but the Soviets have just placed a spotting round to try and stem the attack.View attachment 7851
What turn is this?

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yea - they put the pedal to the floor and shot down the Q road. Took a few chances with where the ATRs were and tried not to think about lucky street-fighting rolls. I am trying to re-acquaint myself with many rules and maybe that was not the best move - although it allowed me to exercise quite a few rules.

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Smoke OBA failed to appear for my Slovaks. I under-estimated the AFV's ability to charge the hill on the right - the idea was for them to smoke the enemy as they passed through but the Soviets broke beforehand. I am going shortly to continue the game but am worried I don't have enough on the Soviet right - although the Russian OBA is beginning to fall.

I wonder where your hidden gun is..?