OAF 103 CRS The Valor of the Guards

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

Randy S. and I decided to give this scenario from OAF issue 103 a go. Using crazy perry's vasl map the battle looks like its going to be a brutal one. There is no rules from VotG used in this scenario, all the rules come from Red Barricades so it makes it super easy to get right into the scenario and start playing. As for the scenario, it is 8 full turns long with the Germans needing to control 29 stone locations, 12 of which must be factory locations. The Germans are throwing a total of 43 squads and 12 AFV's at the Russian defenders. The Russians are defending with 37 squads total, 2 T-34's, 3 ATG's and two 82mm MTR's. There are also trenches, pillboxes, mines and roadblocks to slow the German attackers.

For our game, I took the Russians, but being that this was my first time playing the scenario, my set up could have been better, especially since there is a level 2 building in the back row, I think it represents the nail factory. I should have also put more trenches behind the factories that were closer to where the germans need to get too. As for our scenario, thus far we are on Russian turn 2 with the Germans gaining a little ground, but with the mines infront of the Train Station, it has kept the German movement to crawl. Another bonus for the Russians are the copious amounts of debrie that litter the battlefield, thus forcing the German armor to take bog checks as they try to traverse this urban nightmare. There are also lots of railways running north and south, all of them are elevated, so remembering wall advantage will be needed by bothsides.

Randy, who had 4 free FF1 for a pre game attack, place three on and around the Train station, with one placed south of the train station. Only 1 FFE missed its mark, the rest landed on target revealing my HIP 9-2 with a 50cal which survived the 150mm OBA attack surprisingly, One of my ATG's were revealed and a few other things took some casualties but all in all, I think my russians got off lightly. Though I think next time I play this, the Russians really will need to spread out more to avoid getting hit hard by the 150mm OBA.

Now with the game in full swing, Randy did the typical Stalingrad thing and sent HS out to bust up my pickets concealment, which is fine, they are there too die, but also keep the Germans from running rough shod over the Russians. Plus have MOL capability will keep the German armor honest, So thus far, the Germans have not captured any stone locations but they are getting near and dear to the train station, but I figure by turn three it will be a real smash mouth fight for the Train station area. The Scenario kind of reminds me of the old SL scenario The Tractor Works, lots of stuff in a small area trying to smash their way forward.

So with us stopping on russian turn 2, we will pick up our game next sunday. So far lots of fun and glad I am giving this one a try.

Scottcrs rus 2.jpg

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You certainly find fun stuff to play......

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It certainly is not an easy task to find fun stuff to play in this day and age of McDonald designed types of scenarios. Thankfully there is still alot of older scenarios which are fun actions and are better balanced compared to their contemporary brethren. Anyway, you can never go wrong playing a Stalingrad scenario or CG that is for sure.

You certainly find fun stuff to play......

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just want to point out, the map shown is the Original OAF map, not mine (credit where it is due), my version is on the VASL site, but what Scott is playing on is not it (mine's a Hexdraw map and so looks more digital as opposed to drawn).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
On Perry's map the building O17/P17 is only level 1 1/2. Not 2 1/2.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is the same exact map I down loaded from the vasl map site that YOU did.
No Scott, the map I did is completely different from that, I will have to re-show the map that I did, as that is not it, I can assure you of that.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here is the VASL map I did, and that should be on the VASL site under CSR.

VASLMap.png You can see it is not the same colour base as the OAF map, but is 100% the same content wise, and you can see what CH has done.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up our game of The Valor of the Guards OAF version with my Russians getting their nuts stomped on by Randy's Germans in the last two turns. His Stukas finally mad it on map on turn 6 and that pretty much turned the tide of battle against my Russians. But I had also made some really bad mistakes both in my set up and in the entry of my reinforcements. I should have defended the factory's better, missed the 2nd level building in the back of the map, could have placed my 50cal there. The Reinforcements should go to reinforcing the factories, I made the mistake of sending half my reinforcements south to bolster my defense of the buildings. Big mistake, the Germans need to take 12 factory hexes, so the Russians will need to stuff the factories full of squads ASAP.

Great scenario and one that the Russians really need to study to understand having a good defense.

Scott

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is a lot of counter density on that map. Looks fun.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is that the Children's Fountain in the lower right?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is that the Children's Fountain in the lower right?
On the remake I did Al the fountain would be the children's fountain with the crocodile that sits outside the real central railway station (as you know the CRS map is actually just north of the proper CRS#1) The building to its immediate lower left 3 hexes away is the actual real CRS#1, but the original OAF map mistook the building with the red hex sides as the CRS#1, in actuality it is a rail shunting yard).

all the best mate, hope you and yours are all ok.

Perry