NY ASL Championship - What is the level of OCD required to attend?

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live in New York now and am thinking about going to this. But when I go to their web site, I see what appears to be an exceptional amount of fanaticism. Mandatory precision dice? Really? Dude, I can roll 12s with any old dice, even the ones that came in the box. And if you are really that worried about balance, both players should always use the same dice (no matter what they are).

I've gone to Oktoberfest in 2015 and a couple of Winter Offensives, so tournament play doesn't bother me. I'm an OK player but not great and still need to reference the rules a couple of times during play. I try to self-rally my first MMC, but don't know the sequence of play well enough to fix broken support weapons, rally or deploy first. I kind of just work my way across the board from one side to the other. So maybe this event isn't for me. Am I wrong?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like and ASL Grudge Rules tourney to me. They're not really playing ASL. :p

ALBANY SPECIAL RULES

1- PLEVA OBA rule (includes radio rules)
2- Only one bog DR when AFV’s entering wire hexes
3- No AFV voluntary abandonment unless immobilized/out of gas
(EXC-HT’s and Carriers)
4- No kindling
5- Reverse motion is allowed
6-If ATTACKER declares CE and BFF attack simultaneously, the
DEFENDER can attempt DFF vs. the CE AFV based on the
preceding MP expenditure, before the ATTACKER can BFF.
7-For vehicular mounted FT TK attempt vs an enemy AFV the
following TK DRM apply:
Case A DRMs
Firer in Motion +2
Target in Motion +2
Concealed AFV +2
Regardless of the DRMs an Original DR of 2 is a Burn result and an Original DR of 3 is an Elim result if not already a Burn result.
8-MOL use versus empty hexes is NA

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wandered into the NY ASL Championship a little while ago and I had the best time. Leoce went out of his way to make me feel welcomed and Trezza set me up with a game. I wandered around and I met a lot of the legends in the hobby. It's an absolute blast, it really is.

Here's a video I made if you wanna see for yourself :

Oh man, it's the best year!!

Rgds Jack

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have been twice. Go and have fun. Don't let the rules scare you. -- jim

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live in New York now and am thinking about going to this. But when I go to their web site, I see what appears to be an exceptional amount of fanaticism. Mandatory precision dice? Really? Dude, I can roll 12s with any old dice, even the ones that came in the box. And if you are really that worried about balance, both players should always use the same dice (no matter what they are).

I've gone to Oktoberfest in 2015 and a couple of Winter Offensives, so tournament play doesn't bother me. I'm an OK player but not great and still need to reference the rules a couple of times during play. I try to self-rally my first MMC, but don't know the sequence of play well enough to fix broken support weapons, rally or deploy first. I kind of just work my way across the board from one side to the other. So maybe this event isn't for me. Am I wrong?
You are wrong- while the Albany tournament has developed a reputation for being a competitive tournament, that all goes out the window after you've lost a game as only one guy will be undefeated at the end anyway- there's a room full of guys that just come to play just like ASLOK or WO- it is a well run event with a great playlist- the bidding system has developed as a way to get scenarios into play that may be a bit out of whack- I don't believe anyone has had their dice confiscated but there have been some eyebrows raised :rolleyes:
I wouldn't get hung up on the literal reading of the ASOP (Unless you're playing one of those European guys) but I also wouldn't expect to get to do a weapon repair you forgot in the movement phase- after all we are not savages.

Skull.jpg

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wandered into the NY ASL Championship a little while ago and I had the best time. Leoce went out of his way to make me feel welcomed and Trezza set me up with a game. I wandered around and I met a lot of the legends in the hobby. It's an absolute blast, it really is.

Here's a video I made if you wanna see for yourself :

Oh man, it's the best year!!

Rgds Jack
Awesome video! The dramatic music makes everyone seem so...heroic.

plpalmerdvm

Reaction score
Country
ll

Wouldn't let the tourney SSRs bother you too much. I have gone to Albany for the past 4 years and had a really good time. Haven't actually heard anyone having problems with the dice someone used. The tourney rules and SSRs are just to reduce some of the "sleazy" play that affects certain scenarios (e.g. kindling, abadoning perfectly good AFVs, etc). I really like the tourney format with the playlist and bidding for scenarios/sides. Don't let that bother you too much either as you can get as deep into that as you want. I would at least familiarize myself with the playlist I know what I do (and don't) want to play (and hopefully which side too).

cwillmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

This is a great event, been to every one of them. Players of every caliber, from newbie to Pleva, and everything in between. Great bunch of guys. And even if you go 0 for Albany you'll have a great time.

Seriously, go. You'll enjoy it.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wouldn't let the tourney SSRs bother you too much. I have gone to Albany for the past 4 years and had a really good time. Haven't actually heard anyone having problems with the dice someone used. The tourney rules and SSRs are just to reduce some of the "sleazy" play that affects certain scenarios (e.g. kindling, abadoning perfectly good AFVs, etc). I really like the tourney format with the playlist and bidding for scenarios/sides. Don't let that bother you too much either as you can get as deep into that as you want. I would at least familiarize myself with the playlist I know what I do (and don't) want to play (and hopefully which side too).
Not too worried about the tourney rules, and I like the artillery rules. I am worried about what appears to be a super-strict atmosphere in the tourney. I can play this game but will I enjoy it if this is the prevalent attitude? It's just a damn game.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not too worried about the tourney rules, and I like the artillery rules. I am worried about what appears to be a super-strict atmosphere in the tourney. I can play this game but will I enjoy it if this is the prevalent attitude? It's just a damn game.
Well dude, no matter what anyone says here (..and everyone's pretty unanimous here) , the only way you will find out is to go see for yourself. If you are looking for someone to make you feel good about a decision to NOT go, that doesn't appear to be forthcoming unfortunately.

Heck - it's your decision but don't cheat yourself out of one of the best tourneys around. I had to travel half the world for it and I am glad I did. You probably don't even have to go that far. I took a chance. It's probably going to cost less for you to do the same.

Good luck!

hastrup

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llDenmark
I am one of the few European players - and no we are not all ASOP fanatics - attending this years Albany. I have attended twice and enjoyed both tremendously.

Michael

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am one of the few European players - and no we are not all ASOP fanatics - attending this years Albany. I have attended twice and enjoyed both tremendously.
Michael
Michael I probably should've put a smiley on that, no offense meant - Well half a smiley at least

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well dude, no matter what anyone says here (..and everyone's pretty unanimous here) , the only way you will find out is to go see for yourself. If you are looking for someone to make you feel good about a decision to NOT go, that doesn't appear to be forthcoming unfortunately.

Heck - it's your decision but don't cheat yourself out of one of the best tourneys around. I had to travel half the world for it and I am glad I did. You probably don't even have to go that far. I took a chance. It's probably going to cost less for you to do the same.

Good luck!
As usual, you hit the mark. The feedback has been uniformly positive, and I do appreciate how unusual that can be on an on-line forum. I think I will go if time and budget allow. Thanks to all for your input.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I challenge you @ Albany. You can pick the scenario and the side. We fight, may the nicest person win!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Btw, I'm about as far away from OCD as one can get. Well, I do try not to step on sidewalks cracks but that's about it