Now Up for Preorder: Action Pack 6 - A Decade of War

Reaction score
This scenario pack sounds fantastic, but I won't be buying it any time soon. I can't play half of these scenarios until Code of Ho ships.

Do any of the AP#6 scenarios require boards 13-15? I am assuming not, since it was mentioned that no PTO maps are necessary. I ask because I am having trouble finding them for sale without spending a fortune on GI: Anvil of Victory.

Last edited:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It sounds as if you can play six of the scenarios without the Japanese.

And you KNOW you want the maps.

Seriously folks. Order this before it's out of print.

Reaction score
No, they don't.
Some of the maps used (other than the ones that ship in the module) are: 2, 7, 8, 10, 33, 37, 38, 39, 43, 46, 48, 49, 50

charlie
Wow, looks like IJA counters are the least of my worries. :)

Is there a listing on the internet of which products issued which maps? The only ones I have seen stop at #41 (Croix de Guerre).

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I agree with SamB, get it while you can.

Boards 2,8: BV, 7,10: FKaC, 33: DB, 37,38,39: CoB (intended), 43:AP3, 48,49,50: AoO.

Most of the map info is from MMP's ASL product pages and the 2 core modules (FKaC, DB) in the preorder page.

For the SK style maps:

Definite/in print:
BV: 1-5, 8, 20-23
FKaC: 6-7, 10, 12-15, 32
DB: 9, 11, 33, 44-45
AoO: 48-51
CdG: 40-41
HP: 52
AP3: 24, 42-43
AP4: 53-55
AP5: 56-58

Projected:
HL: 25-31
CoB: 34-39, 47
Yanks: 16-19, 46

The only ones that I am relying on memory for are 46 and 47, but I believe that is MMP's intention.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This scenario pack sounds fantastic, but I won't be buying it any time soon. I can't play half of these scenarios until Code of Ho ships.

Do any of the AP#6 scenarios require boards 13-15? I am assuming not, since it was mentioned that no PTO maps are necessary. I ask because I am having trouble finding them for sale without spending a fortune on GI: Anvil of Victory.
maps 13/14/15 are decidedly NOT PTO maps...the maps that were in COB/GungHo are in the 30's (34-39, I think)

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My list (above) is for current/future releases in ASLSK style. You should not have to wait too long for FKaC and DB3. Chas is increasing the vehicular counter image size in FKaC, but otherwise is a straight reprint.

One correction, the CdG maps (40,41) are still in the old mounted style as will be the initial HP map (52) production run.

Reaction score
I agree with SamB, get it while you can.

Boards 2,8: BV, 7,10: FKaC, 33: DB, 37,38,39: CoB (intended), 43:AP3, 48,49,50: AoO.

Most of the map info is from MMP's ASL product pages and the 2 core modules (FKaC, DB) in the preorder page.

For the SK style maps:

Definite/in print:
BV: 1-5, 8, 20-23
FKaC: 6-7, 10, 12-15, 32
DB: 9, 11, 33, 44-45
AoO: 48-51
CdG: 40-41
HP: 52
AP3: 24, 42-43
AP4: 53-55
AP5: 56-58

Projected:
HL: 25-31
CoB: 34-39, 47
Yanks: 16-19, 46

The only ones that I am relying on memory for are 46 and 47, but I believe that is MMP's intention.
Thanks! I had never noticed that #13-15 come with FKaC. I need that module also. (So far, I have BV3, Yanks, and the random older stuff MMP still has, like Partisan.)

For some reason, I had come to believe that GI:AoV covered PTO. I think it is because the online versions of the rulebook show IJA counters. Who knows? I came into Squad Leader too late to ever pick up GI:AoV. (In my mind, it's about $80-$100 better spent on ASL.)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! I had never noticed that #13-15 come with FKaC. I need that module also. (So far, I have BV3, Yanks, and the random older stuff MMP still has, like Partisan.)

For some reason, I had come to believe that GI:AoV covered PTO. I think it is because the online versions of the rulebook show IJA counters. Who knows? I came into Squad Leader too late to ever pick up GI:AoV. (In my mind, it's about $80-$100 better spent on ASL.)
Squad Leader never made it to the PTO....don't know about any online version.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Squad Leader never made it to the PTO....don't know about any online version.
Wild Bill Wilder (again) published his "Pacific variant" for Squad Leader in Issue 30 of the original (volume 1) of The Wargamer.

The quality of the rules was consistent with his current ASL line of First to Fight products. i.e. they were unofficial in nature and a not "deep" presentation.

There is a discussion of those rules here. As noted, as a rough guide to what to expect from the rules and how they compare to what eventually came out from ASL and the "official" rules, there is actually more ink devoted to depicting dogs than to Japanese infantry.

Reaction score
Wild Bill Wilder (again) published his "Pacific variant" for Squad Leader in Issue 30 of the original (volume 1) of The Wargamer.

The quality of the rules was consistent with his current ASL line of First to Fight products. i.e. they were unofficial in nature and a not "deep" presentation.

There is a discussion of those rules here. As noted, as a rough guide to what to expect from the rules and how they compare to what eventually came out from ASL and the "official" rules, there is actually more ink devoted to depicting dogs than to Japanese infantry.

The PDF version of the GI:AoV rulebook which was redone for VSL includes several nationalities not actually used in official pre-ASL. On page 7, there is a chart showing the breakdown/deployment of squads into half-squads. It includes the IJA. They appear to have been reverse-engineered from ASL counters.

My best guess is that someone has VSL modules that use the Italians, Japanese, or whatever.

You can download the PDF from one or the other pre-ASL groups on Yahoo, but you have to join first.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/squadleaderpreasl/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SLClassic/