Now ASLers WILL play Other Games...

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys,

Sorry about the cocky subject. I'm an ASL fan myself. I just wanted to let you know about my new game --Mark H. Walker's Lock 'n Load. Lock 'nLoad is the tactical game system that has "more game, less guff." The first module is based in Vietnam. Here's a look at the counters.

The game releases this May. There is more info available at http:www.locknloadgame.com. Additionally there is an animated example of play at http://www.locknloadgame.com/example.htm.

Everyone's thoughts?

Best,
Mark

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And a bit more Lock 'n Load eye candy....

Hi Folks,

Lock 'n Load counters and boards.

Best,
Mark

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Mark,

The game looks promising, but I'm curious about the system itself. The site states that the game system is quite lean, but how lean is it? How many rules are covered in the core system? What other modules are planned?

Nat

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lock 'n Load Core System

Hi,

The core rules cover about everything that you would expect...AFVs, fortifications, night fights, heros, medics, chaplains, leaders, snipers, suport weapons, five different armies. It takes ten pages of rules to get you up and playing. 34 pages in the whole thing.

Next module? Why don't you decide? They are running a poll at Shrapnel Games right now (www.shrapnelgames.com).

Did you check out the animated example of play?
http://www.locknloadgame.com/example.htm

Let me know what you think.

Mark Walker
Designer, Lock 'n Load -More game, less guff

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Shrapnel's site:

Cary, NC, 28 May 2003

Highly anticipated, Mark H. Walker's Lock 'N Load: Forgotten Heroes Vietnam will begin shipping today, Wednesday, the 28th of May. Due to the overwhelming interest in Shrapnel Games' first boardgame it is expected that all pr-release copies may not go out until Monday, the 2nd of June. It is regrettable that every copy will not be able to ship on Wednesday, but no one could have foreseen the intense level of pre-ordering that we witnessed.

Lock 'N Load: Forgotten Heroes Vietnam is a fast moving, fun to play, tactical level game of small unit actions in the Vietnam War. While players will find it to be an accurate depiction of squad level combat you won't have to wade through a hundred pages of rules to play. In fact, you'll be up and playing after reading less than a dozen pages of rules!

Lock 'N Load is more than just a tactical game though, it's a complete system of modern combat. Expect to see future expansions that cover everything from the typical, such as the brutal island fighting in the Pacific, to the atypical, like the deadly street battles in Grozny. Each expansion will include new counters, maps, player aids, and the special rules needed for that particular expansion.

But wait, what's that? You got your computer game in my boardgame! Oh yeah, well, you got your boardgame in my computer game! Why, it's two tastes that taste great together! Lock 'N Load will ship with VASSAL, a computer aid designed to let gamers play Lock 'N Load over the Internet right out of the box! While there have been other programs that have attempted to do the same they've always been either too cumbersome to use or far too expensive. With VASSAL you get everything you need to play electronically from the moment you open the game.

And while you're anxiously awaiting for that big brown truck to show up outside your door why not entertain yourself with the Lock 'N Load demo (a boardgame with a downloadable demo - yet another innovation!) or watch the Flash demonstration. It's work friendly (well, if your boss doesn't mind you surfing to wargame sites) so you can even get all your co-workers interested in the game!

Find the demo at: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/markhw...knLoad_Demo.htm

And the Flash example can be perused at: http://www.locknloadgame.com/example.htm

Lock 'N Load can be ordered directly from Shrapnel Games at their e-store the Gamers Front (www.gamersfront.com) for $44.95.

For press related information please contact Scott R. Krol at: skrol@shrapnelgames.com

Bill

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually.....go to www.locknloadgame.com Under the 'screenshots' section is all the current downloads...print and play demo....vassal demo.

Bill

Be sure to watch the Flash example of play!!

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have had some great talks with Mark. He is even registered here. (Hey, GUEST, after 5 posts, how about registering????) :)

LnL does look very good and the online demo is a great way to teach/show the game.

will not replace ASL but should be a fun additional game to play!

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry Tank....two of the posts were mine....I thought I was already logged in. Guess not.....have clicked the appropriate button! Yes, it is a nice 'modern' alternative to ASL. I really enjoy it!!!

Bill

Ichibrothers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah...did you see they were endorsed by the National Vietnam Veteran's Art Museum? I think the best thing about the game is speed of play. All the tactics you love in a game of this scale and it moves right along. I've actually finished an 8 turn Scenario on VASSAL in one sitting....'bout 3 hours I think. Haven't played FtF yet, but Mark says it plays like "Greased Lighting"!!! Not a bad thing!!

Bill

da priest

Reaction score
pitman said:
I just wish ASL counters looked like that.
I'm very glad they don't. These LnL counters look too "busy" and the data a tad difficult to ferret out.

Clean simple counters are a lot easier on the old eyes to use, now if we were discussing something to just stare at and admire for art's sake--you might have a point.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They look "busy"? They are a lot less busy than the average ASL counter (because they have so much less information to convey). That's a bizarre statement to make. They are not "busy" at all.

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't beleive it, I AGREE with Mark. :lol:

The counters look WAY cleaner than ASL. Easier to read too.

finally played LnL last weekend. Fun system. Looking forward to The Falklands and Desert Storm.

da priest

Reaction score
pitman said:
They look "busy"? They are a lot less busy than the average ASL counter (because they have so much less information to convey). That's a bizarre statement to make. They are not "busy" at all.
Amuzing--are you looking at counters individually or as set-up on the board? At their true size and setup on board they are buzy, with your eyes drawn from one to another to another--for ever--

geesh -newbies, gots to explain and explain---

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ron, be grateful people read your posts once. You ask a lot if you expect people to dip back into the vitriol once they've emerged.