Novice Guide to SASL (using ASLSK maps) by Peter Fisla, 2006

LionelR

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Hi,
I'm not sure if many people now this 'Novice Guide' to SASL.

I am very interested in using it to learn at first ASLSK and then step-by-step ASL itself. (I know ASL is not SASL!). I intend to add one rule after the other until I get to full ASL.

I have a setup ready, described in the novice guide.

As I want to start putting S? on the map, I have a problem as the rules seem to say something different as the guide.
in the Guide it says:
'Case A: I’m starting to check each building on board to see if we place a S? counter on the building hex.

wC5 check: placement dr = 1 with -1 DRM (since we are dealing with Village type of map) = 0 [means Ground + 1st Level – since all buildings in ASLSK are only 1 level then I’m only placing 1 S? counter into wC5]on A9e Table. We place Black S? counter in WC5 Hex'

The rules say:
'(a) One S? in each building/rubble/lumberyard Location'

I understand the rules to say that 'one S? should be put in each building.

The guide seems to say that putting an S? is conditional and that there should be dr.

Am I missing something?

Thank you for any comment

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's been awhile, but it might be referring to S4.12 S? PLACEMENT ON BUILT-UP MAPBOARDS where you roll on table A9e for location of the S?. E.g. if you have a lumberyard location on a 'Built-Up Mapboard' you roll on A9e; anything other than Ground would indicate no S? placed.

LionelR

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Thank you for this. I now understand I indeed probably need to implement S4.12.

It refers to table A9e. I wonder if I understand that table correctly. Is the following correct if I am using an ASLSK-map (only ground-level buildings and 'village' (-1drm)):
An S? is placed only if the final dr is 0, 1 or 4 (6 not being possible because of the -1drm).
Is the above assumption correct?

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Correct. Though in terms of game balance the the table was NOT intended for Starter Kits**. Also, as per S4.12 if the hex is a VPO you have to reroll until you get at least one S? in that hex (not per LOCATION in that hex). Since this doesn't apply for Starter Kit, EACH VPO hex would just have a single S? (barring other uses of the 4.1 S? placement cases) in that hex at GROUND level.

** EDIT. Maybe ignore city mapboard based missions since the number of S? you face will most likely be less and therefore too easy.

LionelR

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
yes, that is exactly what I now did. I actually followed the novice guid for this first game. So I am using map W as 'village'.

Thanks all is clear now

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think that there should be a mistake in the setup in the Novice Guide. According to the friendly forces, there are 12 squads and 2 HS, and they are divided into 4 stacks. It means that, at least, one of the stacks is overstacked, and I think that you cannot setup overstacked in ASL (and overstack is not allowed in ASLSK)