Not discovered cool functions in VASL?

Martin

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hi Guys

I discovered the “Malf/Broken Units” button and started using this great function in my Festung Budapest CG. I also realized that the LOS tool can (on some boards) be used for different level LOS!

OK, - I’m probably technically slow, but are there other great VASL functions that people tend to not discover by themselves? I only play FtF and PbEM VASL, so never get any tips during Skype games.

Any tips appreciated :)
Martin, Denmark

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if it's still in there, but the Steeple draggable overlay used to have an "Ecumenize" option that would change it to a Star of David. Always felt kinda wrong, assuming that all Houses of God were Christian.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I think a surprising number of people are unaware of the various options available when you right-click on a counter.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I think a surprising number of people are unaware of the various options available when you right-click on a counter.
That one got me, in that the options are often radically different, depending on what counter you click on.

Some other things that are not immediately obvious:
  • The toolbar across the top is configurable (Modify current QC configuration in the main menu).
  • Arrow keys move pieces around in a stack:
    • up/down = move to top/bottom
    • left/right = move down/up
  • Lots of other useful keyboard shortcuts (full list in the Help menu) e.g.
    • F1/F2: dr/DR
    • F3/F4: zoom in and out
    • F10: hide all pieces (so you can check LOS or terrain)
    • Ctrl-F10: hide all pieces, but leave overlays visible
  • There's a really handy extension that locates your sniper counters.

Last edited:

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Every time I would take a bounding fire shot, I would have to open up the counter tray and dig around to find a Bounding Fire counter as there isn't one docked to the top of the screen. Jeff Buser just pointed out to me yesterday that you can right click the Prep Fire counter and flip it and presto, "Bounding Fire". D'oh! :facepalm:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Every time I would take a bounding fire shot, I would have to open up the counter tray and dig around to find a Bounding Fire counter as there isn't one docked to the top of the screen. Jeff Buser just pointed out to me yesterday that you can right click the Prep Fire counter and flip it and presto, "Bounding Fire". D'oh! :facepalm:
I custom built my QC config so that all these counters are available and arranged to where I expect them to be

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I custom built my QC config so that all these counters are available and arranged to where I expect them to be
I did that too. That way you can also limit the number of buttons to one row to save space in the map window if need be. And it allows you to 'build' your own logic into the menus.

That said, mostly by habit, I still use mostly the 'old' window to pull counters.

von Marwitz

R.Beef

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the heads-up about customizing the QC - is there a way to place a flipped counter in the QC.

For example, when I drag the bounding fire counter to the QC editor - it flips/displays the prep fire counter side on the QC toolbar.

Thanks!

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks for the heads-up about customizing the QC - is there a way to place a flipped counter in the QC.

For example, when I drag the bounding fire counter to the QC editor - it flips/displays the prep fire counter side on the QC toolbar.

Thanks!
I *think* you should be able to put any counter there that you can find in the 'VASL counters' window. But it is a long time since I meddled with it.

VASL counters.jpg

Here you can see, how my customized bar looks like (with an example of a customized drop down)

VASL map.jpg

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I don't know if it's still in there, but the Steeple draggable overlay used to have an "Ecumenize" option that would change it to a Star of David. Always felt kinda wrong, assuming that all Houses of God were Christian.
Synagogues existed all around Europe and were not all destroyed by the nazis.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool feature for sure. Thanks.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Synagogues existed all around Europe and were not all destroyed by the nazis.
Honest question born of ignorance on my part - did a typical Synagogue have a bell tower Steeple like one normally associates with Churches?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Last edited:

CaptCaveman

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Some other things that are not immediately obvious:
  • The toolbar across the top is configurable (Modify current QC configuration in the main menu).
Thanks to this mention I finally found out how to modify the toolbar. I had always looked in the VASL menu itself, not the button-menu (silhouette of SL dude with grenade). It was always such a pain for me playing from my laptop and having the building levels at the far right on the toolbar. Thank you!

Martin

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I *think* you should be able to put any counter there that you can find in the 'VASL counters' window. But it is a long time since I meddled with it.

View attachment 1775

Here you can see, how my customized bar looks like (with an example of a customized drop down)

View attachment 1774
Thanks for all the great ideas. Especially modifying to get Von Marwitz' cool screen space saving one-line toolbar is something I want to create. However I told you guys I was technically slow, - I can't find the option (Modify current QC configuration in the main menu)". What is the "main menu"?

Any help appreciated,
Martin