North Korea: Kim invites Trump to summit on nukes, Trump accepts

Brian W

The more I read here the more I'm convinced you guys just like to break things. No building, no dreams, no lofty ideals, just smash stuff and watch your country burn.
Well, basically, the baby boom generation is facing their mortality, and as importantly the mortality of their America. But I don't think it is about burning things down, but trying to ensure that the country is what it was 60 years ago. "MAGA" is a fascinating idea.

But yes, the presidency of Donald Trump doesn't really seem to be about making anyone better off, it's about making others worse off. And then there was the end of the pretense of fiscal responsibility among the republicans. There are many leftists that believe that the aim is to kill "the welfare state" by bankrupting the country. Everytime one gets into the presidency, the deficit soars. EDIT: I do not believe that the republicans are trying to bankrupt the country. I think it is simply that they do not care about running a deficit if it means defeating the democratic party and/or giving more money to their donor class.

One of the sad things is that the democrats have an easy counter for this that they just don't use because their donors are the same as the ones giving to Trump et. al, for the most part. EDIT: by which I mean cut taxes for the middle class even MORE than the republicans and make up for it by taxing the top .1% and deficit spending. Basically the same plan as the republicans, but with taxes on the super wealthy. If a trillion of deficit spending is okay for he republicans, then 2 trillion should be okay for the democrats.

Last edited:

Brian W

...is that many deplorables no longer listen to it since dems have played up words like racist, transphobic, islamaphobe, etc so much that they have ceased to retain a meaning that even remotely resembles what they should have.
No, the right just found a math that allowed them to win despite running on racism and xenophobia. The math won't hold because the older generation who hold those beliefs are dying out. And the voter suppression in the republican run states can only last so long (see Pennsylvania and in 2020 North Carolina) and can only be so obvious before they are rejected by the courts or people. At least as long as there is a commitment to democracy and not totalitarianism. The right's been dedicated to avoiding the term "racist" for 70 years. It reminds one of the movie Judgement at Nuremberg, where Spencer Tracey remarks that no German that he, the American Judge, meets was a nazi.

To put it better than I can here is a quote from a recent book that discusses the lack of any racists in America:

Between Me and The World said:
But my experience in this world has been that the people who believe themselves to be white are obsessed with the politics of personal exoneration. And the word racist [emphasis in original], to them conjures, if not a tobacco-spitting oaf, then something just as fantastic--an orc, troll, or gorgon. "I'm not a racist," an entertainer once insisted after being filmed repeatedly yelling at a heckler: "He's a nigger! He's a nigger!" Considering segregationist senator Strom Thurmond, Richard Nixon concluded, "Strum [sic] is no racist." There are no racists in America, or at least none that the people who need to be white know personally. In the era of mass lynching, it was so difficult to find who, specifically served as executioner that such deaths were often reported by the press as having happened "a the hands of persons unknown." In 1957, the white residents of Levittown, Pennsylvania, argued for their right to keep their town segregated. "As moral, religious, and law-abiding citizens," the group wrote, "we feel that we are unprejudiced and undiscriminating in our wish to keep our community a closed community." This was the attempt to commit a shameful act while escaping all sanction, and I raise it to show you that there was no golden era when evildoers did their business and loudly proclaimed it as such.

zgrose

First name
Zoltan
EDIT: I do not believe that the republicans are trying to bankrupt the country. I think it is simply that they do not care about running a deficit if it means defeating the democratic party and/or giving more money to their donor class.
Can't speak for Republicans as a whole, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that it was the aim of a faction of Republicans to force government to get small by strangling it via (lack of) appropriations. So the goal isn't to bankrupt the *country* but to bankrupt the federal government (presumably while not bankrupting the states). Given what Bannon said about deconstructing the administrative state, it doesn't seem far-fetched of a strategy.

von Marwitz

While meeting with high school students, the President used a crib sheet to assist him as he discussed guns, school shootings, and potential responses to address these problems. According to news sources, WH aides wrote the crib sheet for the President since he has very limited knowledge of the subjects and has a tendency to drift in conversation.
Now the President has stated he will meet with the leader of North Korea. A President that needs a crib sheet to stay on topic while talking with HS students will soon be talking about nuclear weapons and ICBMs of which the President has the very little knowledge. If that scenario doesn't scare you, you are not a realist (IMO). View attachment 4228
I wonder what the "45" on the cuffs of his shirt are supposed to remind him of - don't talk longer than 45 minutes? :D

JimWhite

Silver Supporting Member
...is that many deplorables no longer listen to it since dems have played up words like racist, transphobic, islamaphobe, etc so much that they have ceased to retain a meaning that even remotely resembles what they should have.
No, the right just found a math that allowed them to win despite running on racism and xenophobia.
Yeah...it couldn't possibly be that they rejected the democratic platform.

Brian W

Stopping the gerrymandering that's going on in many states would also be in order.
I wonder how this can be tolerated.
There are always going to be choices in drawing districts that will result in winners and losers. The best thing would be for a non-partisan to draw the districts, but there is no way to find a sure non-partisan.

The other, and more egregious, side of the coin is the attempts at voter supression by unfairly applied voter ID laws, closing of polls in poor areas, and overall making the voting process more difficult. This has been done unapologetically by the republicans in a number of states. The courts have sometimes stopped it. But gerrymandering and voter suppression is how states with a slight republican majority (or even a slight democratic majority) end up with 60% of the representatives being republican and 40% being democratic; or even worse ratios. It makes a mockery of democracy. My own state is dominated by republicans, yet we are very much a 50/50 state. The republicans control a super majority of our house and senate, so the democrats are completely powerless at the state level, despite having as many voters and votes.

Brian W

Yeah...it couldn't possibly be that they rejected the democratic platform.
A minority rejected it. That's where the math comes into play--making a minority of voters a majority of electorial college votes. Thanks for making my point easier.

JimWhite

Silver Supporting Member
A minority rejected it. That's where the math comes into play--making a minority of voters a majority of electorial college votes. Thanks for making my point easier.
Keep telling yourself that and you'll never figure out the real reason Trump won.

Paul M. Weir

First name
Paul
As Mssr Barlow said, you ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. Seems more and more appropriate for you every day. -- jim
Actually my dawning conclusion is based upon responses here. I am learning from YOU and others here. Every thing changes, technology, industry and demographics, but I see no attempt to think about what way to move forward even in a right wing way, only a gut instinct to scurry back to a disappeared past. I'm sorry but over the years reading here you have convinced me of that.

Sparafucil3

Staff member
First name
Jim
I would think if you thought Paul such a fool you would place him on ignore.
Ignoring those we don't agree with is bad. It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle) -- jim

Brian W

Ignoring those we don't agree with is bad.
Ignoring fools, whether you agree with them or not, is good. Now, are you simply disagreeing with him or is he a fool or is it both? If he's a fool and you don't ignore him, then you are wasting your time--though it's your time to waste.

If you are simply calling him a fool because you disagree with him, well, you may be the fool then.