North Africa/"Torch" Campaign

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinking of running a Green American company through the Torch landings to Bizerte. What does the hive mind think for maps? Regular GEO maps with arid environmental conditions?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait til LFT15 comes out in Jan-Feb of 2023, with six new Arid boards.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking forward to that. I figure I won't be THAT far along if I start now. Getting through an Amphibious Assault with Green Americans is going to take a while.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
One of the LFT15 maps is a transition map that allows merging temperate Geo maps with arid/desert maps. Should work well for many north africa coastline scenarios including seaborne assault along wityh LFT's previous coastline map.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
<<Regular GEO maps with arid environmental conditions? >> This is how I played it back in the day and it worked reasonably well. If I were to do it again, I think for any 3 board setup I'd replace one 'standard' board with one desert board having d3+2 desert overlays placed per F12.3. Be a little careful here since various arid conditions rules kick in with different levels of desert board usage. (The tables in the attached chart with titles in green are always in use in arid climes, the ones with titles in red are only if 1+ desert boards are in play, hopefully this helps.) You might also think about randomly replacing standard features on normal boards with arid equivalents via replacement dr (e.g. on a 1-2 all hedges on the diced for board become cactus hedges, etc.)

I'd also be tempted to mix in a couple 1st line squads with my initial force (maybe dice for each squad and replace with 1st line on a 1-2?) but that's just me.

This is welcome news about the arid boards dump with LFT 15! It's a terrain style sorely lacking so far. Not just for North Africa/Med but also parts of Manchuria, if the Chinese & Korean films I've seen are anything to go by.

Attachments

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Yes, a three board transistion has been used already. You will also get 20 scenarios using those boards from North Africa to east Africa, to China, and even the far north. Scenarios from 1918 to 1944 with lots of different nationalities and from Cavalry to Tanks. These scenarios are from various designers in the USA and Europe and several scenario sizes.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
That’s good because those sorts of boards are more needed often. Why some disregard the steppes is a thing that makes them weird to me.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Another 1943 campaign (hypothetically more momentous with Japanese attempts to stay and fortify) is Attu-Kiska campaign.