Normandy News

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That screenshot looks like a composite rather than an in-game render for some reason.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saying "screenshots" (plural) and then just setting saturation in one to zero and call it multiple is kind of ... I dunno.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saying "screenshots" (plural) and then just setting saturation in one to zero and call it multiple is kind of ... I dunno.
pushing it a little...is that the answer.

Gotta say though, if those are real in screens, it looks nice.

I find the bridge discussion a little over the top. Its a nice detail, but there are some pretty big things still missing that I would hope they focus on first.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope that the level of attention they are giving to the simple bridge means they have given even more to the tactical elements as well.

In actuality the multi-bridge deal (while a nice touch) is not that massive of a deal: if you can just look at the entire map at set-up & say "I can't use that one or that one..." it's about the same as looking at the fords we have now & say, "that's a deep ford, can't use it for my armor, but I can use that shallow one."

How many scenario designers will put in only "light bridges" and then heavy armor just so they can't cross those bridges? (how many fun games will that design option make?) Might as well just make it a plain river...

Most likely it will be implemented with a "light bridge" close by & "heavy bridge" far away to allow light tanks to engage before the heavy's can race the long way around to the action.

I do like the addition as it will add new options, which in any game is usually a good thing.

Btw- I thought BFC said CM:N was just a holding name for CMx2 is it still?

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
junk2drive said:
And what happens when the lead tank stops and the rest keep going?
They won't, the "Mediums" will all bunch up trying to figure a way around the lead "Hvy" tank while the Hvy tank tries to find a way back around the pack to a bridge it can use. A few turns later someone might move.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Sounds like a hoodwink to me. The announcement is notable for what it doesn't talk about; i.e. it perhaps advertises that there will be no detail in the engineering game. No roadblocks, no clearance of obstacles, no bulldozers, etc. Nothing of importance at the tactical level.

As Kerry points out, bridge loads are strategic layer options. Military police are the guys that check load bearing weights; they direct traffic. Logisticians figure out which units can take which bridges and that stuff gets sorted out well before the firefights start. A Tiger tank with a snorkel needs hours, not minutes, to prepare to swim a river. (No matter, no swimming or boats or amphib vehicles of any kind.)

I notice there are no pontoon or Bailey bridges, which were common in Normandy, though perhaps not in combat zones unless a counter-attack put them there.

Steve says up front that bridges won't be rated to the ton. They will also not be variable, and that there will not be "surprises" - i.e. all light tanks either can or can't cross safely no matter if they are 5 ton light tanks or 10 ton light tanks. Will there be cumulative damage effects ala the Bridge at Remagen? Time will tell. It may be safe to assume they don't want to load down a minor feature with a lot of extraneous detail.

One hopes the detail they don't bother to put in there will be added in elsewhere, as Kerry suggests. Infantry formations, close-assaults on tanks, and infantry prisoners, anyone?

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The old adage in business and law is that you lead with your best (or at least some of your very good) stuff. This stuff is not very good.

I hope that this is more bad marketing by BF, but fear this is not the case--or at least very much of it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The old adage in business and law is that you lead with your best (or at least some of your very good) stuff. This stuff is not very good.

I hope that this is more bad marketing by BF, but fear this is not the case--or at least very much of it.
So basically he popped up to say "we're going to have bridges, but we're not putting any effort into them."

I didn't understand the emphasis on being able to move under them.

Another brand new feature to CM: Normandy is the ability to move units under bridges, provided the bridges crosses some land of course (there are no boats or swimming in CM). The tactical possibilities for this are pretty big. Raised roads are some rather tricky tactical obstacles in the real war, for example. Imagine your pixel GIs climbing the embankment and setting up firing positions while your M3A1s burst through to the other side under a bridge. Or advancing northerly along a raised road and being able to shift your flanking forces east and west without the road keeping them cut off from each other.
Uh....can't you already do this in CMX1...?

Is he deliberately trying to put a happy face on this announcement that is basically a non-statement, or is he really just out of touch?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well it is a bone, no more or less than that. I still dont think CMN will play much if any different from CMSF.

I'm sure there wont be Bulldozers, MPs or prisoners either. Im sure the Qb system, while changed for the better, wont be exactly what the Qb guys want. Im also sure that infantry formations wont be in there either.

Im also sure that the waffling on the release dates is just that, waffling. Theyve gone from definitely, ablsolutely out in 2009, no doubt about it, to, well we could if we wanted to but were not, to, maybe not so soon after all. I seriously think that this series of games may just be too big for the team to do in any realistic timescale.

2 years for one game with 2 very small add-ons does not bode well for the bigger challenge of ww2. Either that or they are sure that theyve managed to change their audience target to one that we dont know exists.

It doesnt matter much to me at the end of the day. If its a good little game like Sf is, then I will play it. I like a bit of realism but Im not one of the guys that wants it taken to the Nth degree. A platoon+ action will do me fine as long as it gets most of the stuff right.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Bridges) I didn't understand the emphasis on being able to move under them. Uh....can't you already do this in CMX1...
Yes you can, :laugh: so go figure why it's a HUGE :bored: announcement suddenly to be included in CM:N - maybe you couldn't go under them in the "new & improved" CM:SF & they figured they had better put it in- again. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if you go under bridges in CM:SF? Are there even bridges in that waterless wasteland? :hmmm:

And after all the years of playing CMx1 how many BIG "tactical possibilities" did everyone find by driving under a bridge? Must be staggering.... :crosseye:

Seems a little disconcerting to me now that a simple terrain feature "different weight bridges" are the cornerstone of a new announcement when they have been touting all the GREAT new features it will supposedly have (that we all WANT).

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If its a good little game like Sf is, then I will play it. A platoon+ action will do me fine as long as it gets most of the stuff right.
(my bold)

Do you think that CM:N might still be only a platoon+ sized game?

The maps & units should be a lot bigger or why include different weight bridges? How important could they be if you can only have small maps?

Private- "Sgt that bridge ahead is only for light tanks not our Tiger oh oh, what will we ever do?!!!!"
Sgt- "Easy son, we'll just have to drive to the other side of the map, turn left and drive all the way to the heavy bridge I saw on the map, a 100m away..."

A platoon shooter? If you can only have 1-2 AFV's (realistically) why even bother with stuff like bridge weights? :argh:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Now that you mention it, there are no bridges in CM:SF, Kerry. There was one scenario where a dude tried to make what looked like a bridge, with marsh to the sides, and some walls, and road, and it kinda looked like a bridge if ya squinted. I think Steve must have been thinking about that when he wrote his breathless preview of CM:N. So perhaps he was writing more for the Shock Force fans than the CM:X1 fans, whom he must figure are no longer reading his "stuff." :)

I keep forgetting, that is the master plan, after all.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So basically he popped up to say "we're going to have bridges, but we're not putting any effort into them."

I didn't understand the emphasis on being able to move under them.

Uh....can't you already do this in CMX1...?

Is he deliberately trying to put a happy face on this announcement that is basically a non-statement, or is he really just out of touch?
I think going under bridges in CM caused jumpy "where's my tank" problems in CMx1, if it can be done at all.

-dale

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think going under bridges in CM caused jumpy "where's my tank" problems in CMx1, if it can be done at all.-dale
No you can do it going forward or backward with no problems - & just for everyone- here's the screen shots I just did for you in a test AK.

L- R: Tiger / Brummbar / Stug
1 The plots
2. 22 sec's in Tiger & Brummbar emerging from under, Stug reversing out from under.
3. Everyone is safe & sound at 27 sec's having moved under the bridges in CMx1 and are ready for all the tactical possibilities that Steve says are a HUGE improvement for getting to moving under bridges CMx2... :crosseye:

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is what happens when one vehicle on the bridge is right on top of one under the same bridge. CMx1 was mostly 2D in these respects, the building's floor code was about the only place where units could really live in more than one plane.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(Same setup as I have above except a Pz IVG is sitting ON the bridge.)

1. This is what happens in CMAK when you have a tank IN the middle of the bridge & one wants to go UNDER the bridge. One big SNAFU! The A.I. wouldn't allow it.

2. But, if you move the tanks ON the bridge just a bit off center then the ones below can go UNDER the bridge again with no problems.

Last edited: