Normandy HASL!!!!

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
tailesin said:
Even being Airborne troops doesn't qualify them for "superfirepower" squads.

The most common weapon of infantry paratrops and glidermen was the M1 garand. In Normandy only the para squad had BAR's (one) and theorically no SMG at all. Gliderborne infantry squads did not have BAR's nor SMG's. It wasn't until December in the Ardennes than gliderborne infantry was authorized a BAR for each squad. So gliderborne infantry us squads should be somethig in between 457 or 557 until december 1944 to reflect their reduced firepower vs para squads.
??? The U.S. 1st Line squad is a 6-6-6. Why should the glidermen be something between 4-5-7 or 5-5-7? That makes no sense to me. The glidermen were not less effective than the regular infantry.

In my opinion the values of firepower and range of a squad in ASL do not depend only on the weapons and equipment the squad uses. In my view it is the combat training, the experience, the skills that cause these values. The morale value is the will to fight and not to cower or to give in when the fight starts.

But all this is off-topic by the way.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Going by that the glider infantry should be 547s. Same FP and range as a 546 (assumed to have one BAR IIRC) but higher morale for being glider troops.

Always thought the 666s had the two BARs with the 667s just high morale troops.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Going by that the glider infantry should be 547s. Same FP and range as a 546 (assumed to have one BAR IIRC) but higher morale for being glider troops.

Always thought the 666s had the two BARs with the 667s just high morale troops.
Let's be careful here. Again, the sources I am aware of all state that TO&E for a rifle squad included one (not two) BAR man in the 1943 reorganization. As we are all aware, in the field units tended to acquire weaponry that they felt would best keep them alive as long as possible, and make the enemy dead as quickly as possible, depending on battlefield circumstances. US troops were well-known for their capabilities in informal procurement, and there is no reason to believe that glider men were somehow handicapped in this when compared to the foot soldiers.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I have to agree with George. I have always considered that the US 666/667 had 2 BARs, unofficially of course. Apart from lack of combat experience, the 546 which I regard as quite suitable as the majority type for raw US troops (eg NA, Sicily), I also see as still having 1 BAR, not having the time, opportunity or experience generated urge to 'acquire' a second.

The USMC early rifle squad is a 458 with bolt action rifles and 1 BAR, change to M1 Garand semi-automatic rifles would bring it to 558 (alternatively, still bolt action rifles but with a second BAR gives you the 558 BAR squad), add a second BAR and you get the 668 mid stage USMC squad. Adding the third BAR gets you the 768 final USMC squad.

While you might think there would be no ASL difference between bolt and semi-automatic rifles, ASL seems to have settled on giving the squads that have a majority equipped with semi-automatic rifles an extra FP (see http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?111383-Paul-s-Ponderous-Pompous-Pedantic-Proclamations-Patter-and-Platitudes, post 13). I won't say whether that is right or wrong, only that seems to be the existing pattern and doesn't seems unreasonable.

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe they were playtesting some sort of Sainte-Mère-Église HASL at Winter Offensive either this year or last ...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Really? How lame is that?

If they are going to make a HASL about the 82nd Airborne during D-Day and not have ANY paratrooper drops then they may as well just remove the para drop rules from the Rulebook or else revamp them.

It's like declaring that they don't believe para drop rules are worth using even when it's the the perfectly appropriate historical situation.
It was actually pretty rare for an air dropped unit to actually fight on its drop zone. Indeed, DZs and LZs were usually selected because the chance of fighting there was slim. Most game systems don't even have rules for air dropping because there is probably little reason to simulate it.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It was actually pretty rare for an air dropped unit to actually fight on its drop zone. Indeed, DZs and LZs were usually selected because the chance of fighting there was slim. Most game systems don't even have rules for air dropping because there is probably little reason to simulate it.
fair enough but there were plenty of gold star jump wings. ASL does airborne pretty well I think. paras scatter all over the place, never where you want/need them, spend couple turns running around consolidating/collecting gear, then trying to take their objectives

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eben Amel