Normandy HASL!!!!

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was reviewing the Armory pages done by Reid Hutchinson as it related to the 5/8 counters in Paratrooper vs those in BV3. The R-35 tanks in German colors from Para were A,B,D & E, whereas they were a,b,c & d in BV3. Para included PzKfw IVC #E and Marder II #C. There is also a 75 AT 97/38 #E in Para. BV3 includes #A, B, C & D. The question becomes, then, whether there is need/room for the above counters in the Normandy HASL. Granted, we probably already have one "Yes" answer (Kevin). I suspect the timing of the release--ie before or after Yanks 2-- might influence what is included in the Normandy HASL.
Good analysis Dave and I agree with your assessment.

But, Yes to more counters is totally acceptable for more German counters.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
If all the counters needed to play the Normandy HASL scenarios and CG are included in BV3 and/or Yanks, then there is no need to include any counters in the Normandy HASL. But I think there will be a need for counters (i. e. US 7-4-7, US MMG, etc.) to be able to play the CG.

Maybe we will see some new counters in the Normandy HASL (i. e. US 7-4-7 AE like the German and Russian AE in VotG or the USMC and Japanese AE in Suicide Creek).

tailesin

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Well US Engineers in no way would qualify as 7-4-7 squads. In fact, US engineer squads lacked firepower. They were like US common squads but without BAR`s so in fact with less firepower: maybe a 4-4-6 or something similar. Maybe in special situations like an omaha scenario they could be qualified as fanatic to increase morale.

In my opinion the commonly used US infantry squads that include a BAR need to be accompanied by other squads to be used as US engineers and US reconaissance squads and other services that were not issued BAR's. The Engineers as above and the others, who were armed mainly with m1 carbines and a few rifles and SMG's with less range.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
... nah ... We're talking about US Airborne here and not about the Infantry dudes.

Seriously, I'm not sure that the ASL game mechanic of being an Assault Engineer means the representing of the real branch of engineers.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well US Engineers in no way would qualify as 7-4-7 squads. In fact, US engineer squads lacked firepower. They were like US common squads but without BAR`s so in fact with less firepower: maybe a 4-4-6 or something similar. Maybe in special situations like an omaha scenario they could be qualified as fanatic to increase morale.

In my opinion the commonly used US infantry squads that include a BAR need to be accompanied by other squads to be used as US engineers and US reconaissance squads and other services that were not issued BAR's. The Engineers as above and the others, who were armed mainly with m1 carbines and a few rifles and SMG's with less range.
I would beg to differ about US Engineers with that much firepower; they US Engineer squads of WWII did not have "massive amounts of firepower", like the Assualt Engineers are portrayed in ASL. I would say that maybe a 5-4-7 at best.

The US Army Engineers were considered more of a "support role" to the Infantry Battalions; building wire obstacles, building prepared roadblocks or Bunkers for HQ elements to hide in (Bn or Regt level).

Most Infantry Battalions were trained to use Bangalore Torpedoes and Satchel Charges, but these were rare opportunities unless there were prepared assault missions for them to perform (Breaking through the Siegfried Line) or try to captured fortified locations (Aachen or Metz).

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Kevin, I agree with your though of making the U.S Engineer's a 5-4-7 counter, but I also think they should have a high smoke value and an inherent DC on their counters, too.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin, I agree with your though of making the U.S Engineer's a 5-4-7 counter, but I also think they should have a high smoke value and an inherent DC on their counters, too.
We saw that in the Objective:Schmidt module BFP has coming out. During the fighting for Vossenack, US engineers (146th Engineer Battalion) were thrown into battle to try and replace the losses the 112th Regiment was suffering. We are representing these engineers as 5-4-7s with assault fire, spray fire, and underlined morale.

Rick

tailesin

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Well engineers with inherent DC maybe is too much. In most actions as when sent to man the lines or acting as infantry in support of Cavalry Groups i presume DC's were not so common.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We are representing these engineers as 5-4-7s with assault fire, spray fire, and underlined morale.

Rick, that sounds excellent. Will there be many counters with that module?

Well engineers with inherent DC maybe is too much.

True, I think you're right about that being a little much.

Last edited:

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are representing these engineers as 5-4-7s with assault fire, spray fire, and underlined morale.

Rick, that sounds excellent. Will there be many counters with that module?
No determination yet as to a final number as we haven't laid out the countersheet for that product, but they will be available for purchase as a part of the CG and are used in several scenarios, so I would expect there to be probably two full rows (20) of US Engineers, plus half squads. Most of the rest of the counters will consist of German engineers along the same lines as the Americans, the US Weasel AFV, and a number of Russian, US and other nationalities in German colors. Plus any status counters needed to play the CG.

Rick

Last edited:

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Back to the topic. I got MMP's mail about the upcoming products (Yanks, Journal 11, etc.) and about what products are currently in playtesting (Red October, Slaughter at Ponyri, etc.). The Normandy HASL is not even mentioned. Does anybody know what the status of this HASL is?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Back to the topic. I got MMP's mail about the upcoming products (Yanks, Journal 11, etc.) and about what products are currently in playtesting (Red October, Slaughter at Ponyri, etc.). The Normandy HASL is not even mentioned. Does anybody know what the status of this HASL is?
Think you might find that the Normandy HASL is so far off the MMP Radar that they have forgotten about it.