Normandy HASL!!!!

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This was posted by Ken Dunn on the MMP Forum (CSW)

Normandy HASL

6 maps in 3 sets (they don't all connect). 3 for St Mere Eglise/Neuville/Hill 20; 2 for La Fiere/Amfreville; and 1 for Hill 30/Chef-du-Pont. Has a strategic map to connect them all together.

About 20 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG than ties them all together allowing you, the commander, to place a different emphasis on the action. Its the 82nd Airborne experience during D-Day.

In playtesting now!

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This sounds great. Been looking forward to it since I read about it on the MMP website about 18mos ago..

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It should be a doosy, I can imagine paradrops and maybe some new fresh German French tanks and who knows what else?

Should be great...

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
I'm looking forward to it, especially with a comparison to the All American modules by Ian D. It will be interesting to see how the standalone scenarios go, particularly as I found Ian's scenarios well crafted historically but not so much from a gaming PoV.

I also am looking forward to "official" map sheets and scenario cards, plus the usual attention to proofing and play testing from MMP.

Definitely on the lookout for this when it arrives.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It should be a doosy, I can imagine paradrops and maybe some new fresh German French tanks and who knows what else?

Should be great...
IIRC, it was stated on the MMP site that there wouldn't be any para drops.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The nicest thing about this relesae is that Yanks! will precede it.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IIRC, it was stated on the MMP site that there wouldn't be any para drops.
Really? How lame is that?

If they are going to make a HASL about the 82nd Airborne during D-Day and not have ANY paratrooper drops then they may as well just remove the para drop rules from the Rulebook or else revamp them.

It's like declaring that they don't believe para drop rules are worth using even when it's the the perfectly appropriate historical situation.

SCK40

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No worries. I'm sure folks will cook up some paradrop alternate starts in no time.

I won't defend the paradrop rules, or the glider rules for that matter, but part of the problem with starting scenarios with landings is that the game can essentially be over before it even starts with poor landing rolls. That, as much as anything, probably explains the decision with respect to starting the game already on the ground.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really? How lame is that?

If they are going to make a HASL about the 82nd Airborne during D-Day and not have ANY paratrooper drops then they may as well just remove the para drop rules from the Rulebook or else revamp them.

It's like declaring that they don't believe para drop rules are worth using even when it's the the perfectly appropriate historical situation.
There was a discussion on one of their blogs about this HASL and it was stated that para drops wouldn't add a lot to the fun factor of the CG. I'd venture 95% of the ASLers out there have NEVER played a para drop or a glider landing and if those were required to play, i'm not sure how sales would go.

Just went to the MMP site and checked the blog section. On 2/12/2011 in the Perry Sez blog, Perry states that landings in general probably would not be included because of the fun factor, however it is not carved in stone...

Last edited:

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another item on the To Buy list. Not sure if its a huge deal that there won't be any paradrops - you would have to use night rules as well (to be accurate), so I'm not sure how much play a scenario like that would get. It leaves open the door for additional scenarios to be designed and included in a Journal or by a TPP. I would have to check, but I'm sure there are 82d Abn Div scenarios someplace that include paradrops as part of the action. The Market Garden drops were in daylight, so there might be more play value in designing one of those. Hopefully this HASL will be available at WO.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
never heard of this one. Waiting on Elst, personally. MMP rarely disappoints when they finally release a project.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just went to the MMP site and checked the blog section. On 2/12/2011 in the Perry Sez blog, Perry states that landings in general probably would not be included because of the fun factor, however it is not carved in stone...
Very poor preliminary decision. So I certainly hope it changes.

I've played most of the Para and Glider scenarios from Op Merkur and they were all a blast. The drops add some uncertainty but nothing game-breaking. And a CG would be a perfect place to start with the Air Landings and Gliders because the larger number of troops would even out the luck factor.

A D-Day CG based on the 82nd that doesn't start with air drops would be like a Tarawa CG that skips the beach landings and just starts with the Marines already ashore. But I suppose that the MMP of today would say that those pesky Landing Craft rules are lacking in "fun factor" and do exactly that if they were making Blood Reef Tarawa today.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hot off the presses from Critical Hit... Sneak Attack: Normandy! 7 maps in 4 sets (they don't all connect). 3 for Hill 20/Neuville/St Mere Eglise; 2 for Amfreville/La Fiere; 1 for Chef-du-Pont/Hill 30 and 1 for an as yet unnamed location. Has a strategic map to connect them all together.

About 20,000 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG than ties them all together allowing you, the commander, to place a different emphasis on the action. Its the 82nd Airborne experience during D-Day.

At the printers now! Order now and you get the usual 728 counter sheets so you can represent the 82nd Airborne Division plus another division that didn't actually participate in the D-Day invasion. All for the all-new, lower-than-ever, once-in-a-lifetime, I'm-crazy-to-sell-at-these-prices... $4,259.99! Act sooner than now and we'll double your countersheets and slash the cost to $4,349.99! Telephone lines are open!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hot off the presses from Critical Hit... Sneak Attack: Normandy! 7 maps in 4 sets (they don't all connect). 3 for Hill 20/Neuville/St Mere Eglise; 2 for Amfreville/La Fiere; 1 for Chef-du-Pont/Hill 30 and 1 for an as yet unnamed location. Has a strategic map to connect them all together.

About 20,000 standalone scenarios, 1 CG for each of the map sets, and one strategic CG than ties them all together allowing you, the commander, to place a different emphasis on the action. Its the 82nd Airborne experience during D-Day.

At the printers now! Order now and you get the usual 728 counter sheets so you can represent the 82nd Airborne Division plus another division that didn't actually participate in the D-Day invasion. All for the all-new, lower-than-ever, once-in-a-lifetime, I'm-crazy-to-sell-at-these-prices... $4,259.99! Act sooner than now and we'll double your countersheets and slash the cost to $4,349.99! Telephone lines are open!
That is too funny but it won't let me rep ya!

ASRomafan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very poor preliminary decision. So I certainly hope it changes.

I've played most of the Para and Glider scenarios from Op Merkur and they were all a blast. The drops add some uncertainty but nothing game-breaking. And a CG would be a perfect place to start with the Air Landings and Gliders because the larger number of troops would even out the luck factor.

A D-Day CG based on the 82nd that doesn't start with air drops would be like a Tarawa CG that skips the beach landings and just starts with the Marines already ashore. But I suppose that the MMP of today would say that those pesky Landing Craft rules are lacking in "fun factor" and do exactly that if they were making Blood Reef Tarawa today.
Perhaps more a poor choices of words. If not you have to wonder just who is advising MMP. Part of the large appeal of HASL are the unique tactical situations. Fun factor? What is more fun than using rules, and playing situations that are not the same old same old.

However perhaps it was little deeper than a complete ignorance of what drives interest in HASL. More a poor choices of words of what the real issue might be. You mentioned Tarawa, would the beach landing have made sense to have included in the product, if the beach landing occurred generally unopposed and some distance from the actual fighting being covered in the HASL. I am not an expert in Normandy and personally find it to be one of the most overdone areas in ASL, however were not most airdrops far off target and involved the paratroopers having to hoof it to their assigned objectives. If that is the case in those 3 particular actions it would have made no sense to include the airdrop phase of it.

Now if it was not the case, that the drop were close enough to the objectives to be covered in the scope of the HASL maps, then yes I agree, it is a very poor decision and one that shows precious little understanding of what many find so appealing to HASL play, and one you hope they would reconsider.