Nor'easter XXII: April 5th - April 8th 2018 reminder

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a good time of year to send out a reminder of the upcoming Nor’easter XXII tournament. We hope everyone has a great holiday and finds some time to get some ASL in too. :)

The Nor'easter is New England's regional ASL championships. It is held annually near Boston, MA. It is a yearly get-together of people in the New England area that play Advanced Squad Leader (ASL). The Nor'easter is hosted and directed by the boys from The Bunker (of Dispatches from the Bunker fame) and the Yankee ASL Group.

Visitors are very welcome, and you will probably be able to play a game if you want to learn. Have a look at the archived web sites for previous Nor'easters (http://www.yankeegamers.org/noreaster/index.php) to see what the event is like.

The Nor'easter will start at 1000 EDT (1400 Zulu) on Thursday April 5th 2018 and go until 1800 (2200 Zulu) EDT on Sunday April 8th 2018, with 24-hour access to the gaming rooms. The Thursday game play is open gaming, with the exception of the Big MoFo large scenario tournament. The MoFo, due to the scenario sizes, starts on Thursday but the main tournament and minis start on Friday/Saturday.

All players from beginners to experts are encouraged to attend and the emphasis is on having fun! All attendees are automatically entered into a random drawing for a fabulous raffle which is drawn on Saturday April 7th.

Like last year, we will feature special support for ASL Starter Kit (SK) players. Mitch Abrams will return as the SK master of ceremonies and will work out match-ups, scenario suggestions and assist with rules questions.

The main tournament (Tournament Director Carl Nogueira) is 5 rounds (Friday mini players are included in the main tournament) over 3 days and there are also 3 "minis". The Friday mini (managed by Joe Gochinski) and Saturday mini (managed by Ralph MacDonald) are perfect for those who can only make it for 1 day. There is also the (in)famous MoFo mini which spans all 4 days. Don't forget, there are prizes galore and a great raffle too!

To be matched with a particular opponent in Round one of the Main Tourney or for open gaming on Thursday, or the SK event, please contact us directly by email at Chnogueira@aol.com or through our group (preferred) yasl@yahoogroups.com. For SK match-ups to be pre-scheduled, please contact mhabrams@comcast.net. In all other instances, players will be matched as they arrive.

Location: Boxborough Regency (formerly the Holiday Inn of Boxborough)- 242 Adams Place, Boxborough MA 01719.

Simply inform them you are with the Yankee ASL Group and give the dates of the event.

Reservations (978) 263-8701
Call before 3/15/2018

Room Rates
Single or Double $100.00 per night
Triple $110.00 per night
Quad $120.00 per night

When calling to make reservations be SURE to ask for the Yankee ASL Event. Confirm the above prices with the person taking the reservations at the time of reservation to ensure correct pricing. Please contact Carl Nogueira at 774-328-8095 should any discrepancies result.

The hotel is just off exit 28 on Rte 495. Please contact Carl Nogueira at Chnogueira@aol.com to be matched up with locals who can assist with transport from Logan Airport to the tournament and back.

Tee-shirts:
When you register on-line you have the option of ordering a tee-shirt. An extra $23.00 will be added to your registration cost. Remember, the only way to order a tee-shirt is by pre-registering. Don't wait to pay at the door if you want a shirt with this year's fabulous graphic on it (http://www.yankeegamers.org/noreaster/2018/NorEaster_Graphic.png)

REGISTRATION INFORMATION:

You can pre-register for the lower price until March 15th, 2018 - after that you will have to pay the higher rate. You can also pay (the higher rate) at the door.

Registration costs are below and we have our usual excellent raffle and T-shirts on sale (see above). Additional details to follow as they become available.

Registration Type / Pre-registration Cost/ After 03/15/2018
Full Convention (2+ days) / $40 / $45
One Day / $20 / $25

You can signup at http://www.yankeegamers.org/noreaster/noreaster2018.php, or print out the flyer on that page, clip and mail the included registration form along with a check.

At this point we have released the scenario list for the main tournament. This is listed below with the ROAR record (in parentheses) as of Nov 2017. We will announce the scenario lists for the minis as soon as they are available.

Round #1: Friday Apr 6th, 2018 10:00am-4:00pm EDT

BFP 135 No Shortage Of Determination (German 6/Polish 5)
BOTH1 The Hardest Day (American 5/German 5)
DB133 A Deadly Landscape (Russian 1/German 1)
RPT128 Hubba Hubba One More Time (American 3/German 2)
WO18 A Quick Strike (American 17/Japanese 14)

Round #2: Friday Apr 6th, 2018 5:00pm EDT-Till you drop

AP103 That Damned Bridge (German 10/American 10)
BFP89 Relentless Pressure (German 22/Russian 21)
DB122 Prescription For the Kommissar (German 5/Russian 5)
J191 Rebels Without A Pause (Slovak 15/German 17)
SP255 Anatoly's Ambush (Russian 13/German 12)

Round #3: Saturday Apr 7th, 2018 9:00am-4:00pm EDT
CDN17 Heart Of Oak (German 2/Canadian 3)
DB108 Anchoring the Line (Russian 4/German 3)
OST3 Fortune Favors The Bold (German 4/Russian 5)
YASL7 Making A Break For It (British 7/German 7)
YASL10 Dropping Topside (American 2/Japanese 2)

Round #4: Saturday Apr 7th, 2018 5:00pm EDT -Until you drop
AP116 A Mook Point (American 23/German 26)
AP123 Busting In Balta (German 2/Russian 1)
FT144 Tigers Of Pantnag (Chinese 1/CCP (Partisan) 1
FT223 The Kings Of Bollersdorf (Russian 0/German 0)
WO21 Bolder Than Before (Russian 4/Ukrainian 3)

Round #5: Sunday Apr 8th, 2018 9:00am-6:00pm EDT
BFP30 Melee Near the Coast (Japanese 52/Chinese 54)
DB135 The Krinkelterwald (American 2/German 2)
FrF89 Red Tears Shed On Grey (Romanian 1/Russian 1)
J183 A Real Barn Burner (German 31/French 40)
J193 Raff's Rules (American 14/German 15)

Please come and check us out. You will have a great time. :)

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Charlie H had some of us over to his new place in NH for some Nor'easter XXII prep this past weekend. Round 1 scenarios were played by Richie C vs Joe D and Charlie H vs John R. I was supposed to play Dr Death but the recent snow (aka Nor'easter) up this way screwed up our schedules. Still, I was glad I was able to pay a visit and hang for a few with my buds.

Nor'easter XXII is coming up fast so if you haven't done so, please sign up at http://www.yankeegamers.org/

Thanks,
MikeS

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the Nor'easter Tournament Rules:

The Nor'easter Main Tournament is a 5-round, single-elimination tournament
and then later on that same page in the Detailed Tournament Rules section:

This will be a 5 round Swiss tournament.
Aren't single-elimination and Swiss-style tournaments different? I'm confused. Please clarify this for me. Thanks.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Nor'easter is Swiss-style, last undefeated player wins.
Correct, but thanks for spotting the errata. Five rounds are played and assuming they desire to, everyone plays every round.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct, but thanks for spotting the errata. Five rounds are played and assuming they desire to, everyone plays every round.
Okay, this is the answer I was hoping for. Driving 3.5 hours only to get knocked out on day one of the tournament doesn’t seem like fun. I’m glad it doesn’t work that way.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, this is the answer I was hoping for. Driving 3.5 hours only to get knocked out on day one of the tournament doesn’t seem like fun. I’m glad it doesn’t work that way.
For that very reason, it would make no sense if it did. Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy, we will correct that in future blurbs. The whole idea of the Nor'easter is five full rounds of ASL for everyone in a tourney setting, plus the Thursday open gaming. Hope you can make it up, we'd love to see you.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For that very reason, it would make no sense if it did. Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy, we will correct that in future blurbs. The whole idea of the Nor'easter is five full rounds of ASL for everyone in a tourney setting, plus the Thursday open gaming. Hope you can make it up, we'd love to see you.
Carl, thanks very much for the kind invite. I will definitely try to make it. Hoping I can find a friend who will split the cost of a room.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States