Nor'easter Starter Kit "Group" Activities

MitchA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the New Year, it is time for me to focus on the Nor’easter and the Starter Kit “Group”. So with that, this post is to give some additional information regarding the Starter Kit activities and to reiterate the previous announcement Nor’easter announcement.

First, the Starter Kit portion of the Nor’easter is scheduled for Friday and Saturday, 27 and 28 March 2020 in Fairhaven (same place as last year). Of course if you are planning to play full Advanced Squad Leader than it goes from 26 thru 29 March.

Here are the things to know about the Starter Kit (SK) “Group”:

1. We gear all playings to what the SK player would like to focus on. I have a very short discussion with each player in the beginning so as to ascertain what they are looking to work on and get out of the convention. Then I match up players with similar players so they can learn those specific needs. Of course we have rules experts available to help with the rules as well.
  2. If there are any new SK players that have never played before we can also accommodate teaching the rules. We have done that before at previous Nor’easters. Additionally, if a person has never played PTO and wants to delve into this we can tailor there experience via scenario(s) to ensure this occurs.
  3. I have put out a list of scenarios (see below) so that SK players can feel more comfortable but what we play is not cast in stone and we do vary according to players needs/wishes. This also helps speed the game along as there can be some familiarity with the boards. Players can play other scenarios - but the ones below I will have previously pulled the counters for so that you can focus on playing and not finding counters.

Here is the list for this year (2020):

1. Purple Heart Lane - MMP Site. (Focus: Infantry)

2. Taking San Stafano - New England Volunteers Pack I. (Focus: Infantry)

3. 88’s at Zon - Starter Kit 2 (Focus: Ordnance)

4. Hetzer Hunters - Rally Point 2 (Focus: Armor)

5. Ripples on the Pond - Operations #1. (Focus: Ordnance & Armor)

6. Kawaguchi’s Gamble - Starter Kit 4 (Focus: Japanese - PTO)

All scenarios will be provided in hard copy for those who do not have them and play those scenarios at the Nor’easter.

3. Last year it came to my attention that it would be great to have a three player scenario and I will have one available for the convention. This will be played only if there is a need (ie. there is an odd number of participants or there are three people who have got to play a three player game).

4. We want you to come irrespective of whether you have played massive amounts of ASLSK games this year or none at all and just want to reacquaint yourself with the game. I have always strived for a challenging and fun environment which is why the SK “Group” does not have a tournament. It is geared to improve your play of the game in whatever direction you need that improvement to take.

5. If you have any concerns or specifics please post or send me an email and I will answer all questions.

6. Sign-up for the Nor’easter is done at https://yankeegamers.org. All pertinent information regarding the Nor’easter is on the site.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mitch

Great write up and plan!!

As Mitch said the focus is on fun and just playing what you wish. :)

I would like to add to this;

A) A FREE copy of Starter Kit #1 will be given to all who would like to try Starter Kit and attend.
This is a great opportunity for people wanting try the game, but are hesitant, come play, learn and get a free game!
If you know someone who wants to try the game, please let them know about this!
We have a number of copies, but not unlimited, this is first come first serve, until are supplies are exhausted.
(Please note this is for new players who don't own SK#1 and wish try it and see what it is about,
not for those who already own it or have a friend who would like one :) )

B) New England Volunteers will have some play test scenarios from PlayPack 2 and future products.
You can can help play test or just check them out.

C) Starter Kit players lounge, New England Volunteers will have snacks and goodies for all in the Starter Kit play area.
Details are being finalized on this, but it will be satisfying. We hope to have a surprise or two for those who attend as well, no firm promises, but we are working hard on them!!

The above is courtesy of New England Volunteers

Thank You!!
Joe

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Nor'easter SK play under a month away! Come play and get a free copy of SK!
(See above)

Thanks
Joe

MitchA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is with much regret that I need to announce that the Nor'easter (26 - 29 Mar 2020) has been cancelled. This was not an easy decision as it has been held consecutively for 23 years. Since I announced it here originally I felt that especially for those having made reservations and travel plans to let people know as soon as I was informed that it will not take place. You can cancel reservations at the Hampton Inn if you have made them. Their number is (508)990-8500. We are moving in the direction, as many other events, with safety first. This is a game to enjoy. No need to put people's lives on the line due to the Coronavirus. I am sure everyone is of the same opinion - although it would have been great to see everyone and play some scenarios.
To that end I can only recommend VASL as that is the terrific alternative we have to large gatherings of FTF players.
Best to all in these serious times,
Mitch

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mitch

It was the right call. Next year :)
Stay safe all!!

Joe