Nor'easter Cancelation

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think that you made the right choice.

Just before I read this thread, I mused about what's currently happening here in Germany and Europe:

Probably, we are couple of weeks 'ahead' of the US. Over here, we don't even have a choice any more. Hardly anyone would have thought so less than a week ago.

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Just before I read this thread, I mused about what's currently happening here in Germany and Europe:

Probably, we are couple of weeks 'ahead' of the US. Over here, we don't even have a choice any more. Hardly anyone would have thought so less than a week ago.

von Marwitz
We have been in this for 2.5 months. Settle in.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
No too far ahead of us here as most schools will close tomorrow, many areas have had restaurants and other "public" places closed or had them severely curtail operations (larger urban areas almost without question). Even in my area where there no reported actual cases, gatherings of 25 people or more have been curtailed and those of over 50 people banned. Even non-essential government travel has been rescinded as not-authorized.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Many governments have also advised their loyal citizens to limit their breathing, as much as possible.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have been in this for 2.5 months. Settle in.
Have you really been locked in for 2.5 months? Do you get to go to work or work from home now?

My wife's business is about to close for a bit as well. They were at the beginning of issuing laptops to work from home but that isn't going to be done in time.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you really been locked in for 2.5 months? Do you get to go to work or work from home now?

My wife's business is about to close for a bit as well. They were at the beginning of issuing laptops to work from home but that isn't going to be done in time.
My kid's been having classes via Zoom since the start of the year and there's no end in sight. Folks are just starting to go back to work last week (starting with govt workers) 'cause "we" need money to flow again. Some folks are working on a staggered basis .. ie you are at work this week, the guy sitting next to you will come in next week. Some folks are still working from home.

Then again, demand from the rest of the world is going down ... so ...

I hope all this doesn't trigger a new wave since most doesn't have any immunity.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The flu will kill an estimated 22,000-55,000 people this flu season in the US.
The Spanish flu, which seems to be a nearer comparable event, infected about 28% of the US population at that time and killed an estimated 500,000 to 675,000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Around_the_globe). This may be a worse disease than Spanish flu; I don't think anyone knows for sure. I suppose the easy way to find out is to let it run rampant then count the bodies.

Another problem with letting it run its course is that healthcare is overwhelmed by a human wave. If everyone gets sick at the same time, first health care providers themselves get sick. Even if one has a mild case, he or she really can't treat patients. At the same time hospital resources (beds, ventilators, etc) all become occupied. If the incidence is spread out over time, you can save lives that would be lost if everyone gets sick at once. Same principle as the Human Wave.

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Spanish flu, which seems to be a nearer comparable event, infected about 28% of the US population at that time and killed an estimated 500,000 to 675,000 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Around_the_globe). This may be a worse disease than Spanish flu; I don't think anyone knows for sure. I suppose the easy way to find out is to let it run rampant then count the bodies.

Another problem with letting it run its course is that healthcare is overwhelmed by a human wave. If everyone gets sick at the same time, first health care providers themselves get sick. Even if one has a mild case, he or she really can't treat patients. At the same time hospital resources (beds, ventilators, etc) all become occupied. If the incidence is spread out over time, you can save lives that would be lost if everyone gets sick at once. Same principle as the Human Wave.

JR
This is happening now. Hard to get treatment for cancer patients or patients with other conditions.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
You should re-title to 'Nor'easter Transitions from Cancelation to VASL'

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
Much of the SF Bay Area here just closed down today. Same restrictions as Germany, more or less.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Why is the USA so slow in responding to this coved 19 crisis?
Because people don't take things seriously until they get hit. Human nature I guess.

But it is pretty much everybody who reacted too slowly. China to begin with, Europe, just everyone.

It will be interesting to see how the VASL-Nor'easter will work. I never really contemplated if games via skype/vasl run at the same pace as FtF.

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because people don't take things seriously until they get hit. Human nature I guess.

But it is pretty much everybody who reacted too slowly. China to begin with, Europe, just everyone.

It will be interesting to see how the VASL-Nor'easter will work. I never really contemplated if games via skype/vasl run at the same pace as FtF.

von Marwitz
A great deal depends on the familiarity of the players with the VASL system. If players familiar with the system are running it, about equivalent.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A great deal depends on the familiarity of the players with the VASL system. If players familiar with the system are running it, about equivalent.
Heya Carl, how open is this event to an audience? This might be a good opportunity to promote the Nor'easter (resulting in more participants when this is over) and it's a great platform to sell the (already PDF'd) YASL scenario packs to the global audience.