noob questions

keas66

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi ,

So some things I have not been able to find as yet in the manual , or stuff I have seen mentioned in the below threads but not quite grokked the essence of

1. Explanation of the 3 dots on bottom of unit icons as well as the meaning of color changes

2. Wotan mentioned in a recent thread that with detail set to 6 and low FOW settings, that during firing in combat , the LOS screen would appear . I took that to mean the LOS cross section screen showing the LOS between the shooter and target popping up . I can't seem to get this to happen so can someone confirm if it is possible ...and if so how ?

3 . With regards Handling LOS / extreme (unrealistic) ranged weapon fire what is the consensus method on how to handle this within the existing scenarios ? Just adjust the Max LOS in the weather phase setup box , or manipulate top level unit info box details and apply to entire force or both ...or something else ?

4. I like the whole Maneuver Group/Recon Group order functionality but don't seem to quite understand how I am intended to handle integral IF units within a maneuver group . I guess I am coming to this concept with preconceptions based on how "Command Ops" and earlier games from Panther Games handle this idea . I expect the AI to do intelligent stuff with my mortars and artillery and not have them charging into combat with the infantry . I am guessing I have to manually drop them out and give them explicit orders myself to get them to act sensibly ?

Great discussions on here by the way .

Thanks

kemmo

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi keas66,the 3 dots can be set for a combination of stats,go to display in the preferences menu to set to what you want.I think they are set for morale,comm radius,strength at start.Green highest,red lowest. regards kemmo.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome keas...
This board will be more active usually, for me, real life has claimed a lot of my time for the past few weeks, but I am getting back over to this now, and I am sure that is the case with most.
The game still has some bugs, though not so many as before. As with POA2, they do keep pushing to fix each one as it appears.
For your questions, kemmo hit the first one spot on..the dots are able to be changed in preferences, what each represents.
#2..sadly, not sure, probably have to ask Wotan. I have not used the low FOW settings before,and therefore, have never even seen that.
#3..Not sure about "consensus" on this issue, for myself, I adjust LOS in the weather, as mentioned. FWIW, the new patch has fixed MOST of this type of issue, but there still are some weird ones in there.
#4, this is one problem I have seen as well. For myself, I micromanage as you mentioned to avoid it. It also is not an "always" problem, but enough times to be a royal pain just at the wrong time lol.

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
keas66 the los cross section appears if you've got the units in sight. I've asked for an option to have it shown all the time. With detail level 6 your sort of cheating the LOS in away. If you notice when you check your untis you will see last sighted...that means any intel you have isn't current.

Alot of what seems odd is actually due to FOW and the way the game plays, just cos you see a unti doesn't mean thats where it is.

The reason you dont' see the LOS cross section is because you have not current intel on the shooting. You only get the cross section if you can see the actual shooting.

Abit complicated. It confused me and I kept nagging Scott saying it didn't work properly. It actually does.

Last edited: