Noob question

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just getting back into ASL; have read the rules a couple of times now and am currently going through the tutorial, but I have a basic question that I've not been able to find an answer to yet--sorry if I've overlooked something obvious...

The question: I understand that if a unit moving through a shellhole hex spends an additional MF, it will be considered "in" the shellholes (and get the TEM), otherwise it will not. My question is what about during other phases (Defensive Fire Phase, Prep Fire, etc)? Does a unit always get the shellhole TEM regardless of whether it expended the additional MF during its Movement Phase?

Similar issue for a unit moving along a forest road...during its Movement Phase it is subject to FFMO if using the road movement rate, but gets the woods TEM if it pays the woods movement rate. But what about during other fire phases--does it always get the woods TEM?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My question is what about during other phases (Defensive Fire Phase, Prep Fire, etc)? Does a unit always get the shellhole TEM regardless of whether it expended the additional MF during its Movement Phase?
"B2.4 Infantry may enter a shellhole hex at a cost of one or two MF. If it expends one MF to enter a shellhole hex it may be subject to FFMO (or Interdiction in the RtPh) in that hex during that MPh until pinned. If it expends two MF in entering the hex, or starts the phase therein, it is considered in a shellhole and not subject to FFMO penalties. Cavalry and horse-drawn vehicles must enter at the two MF rate even though they never receive the protective TEM benefits of a shellhole hex. The MF cost to enter a gully shellhole Location is per 19.4."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Similar issue for a unit moving along a forest road...during its Movement Phase it is subject to FFMO if using the road movement rate, but gets the woods TEM if it pays the woods movement rate. But what about during other fire phases--does it always get the woods TEM?
"B13.31 A moving unit in a combination woods-road hex is not eligible for the +1 woods TEM during Defensive First Fire (and is subject to FFMO/Interdiction) if the LOS does not cross a green woods symbol and the moving unit entered the hex at the road movement rate regardless of the relative elevations of the firer/target. (See A4.132) Otherwise, the normal woods TEM is in effect [EXC: a vehicle(s) in a woods-road hex is always considered on the road unless beneath a partial Trail Break counter]."

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great, thanks. Missing a couple of words here and there sure can make a difference...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great, thanks. Missing a couple of words here and there sure can make a difference...
Once you have a general "gist" of the rules, the best way to learn them is sit down an play a game. Don't concern yourself with winning/losing too much, just have fun and enjoy the game while attempting to learn the rules. I seriously doubt if there's been an ASL game played without at least one rules glitch performed in it, even by the grognards! The real downside of learning the rules is by the time you think you've got a good handle on them you realize you're getting older and forgetting stuff all the time anyway.;)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As a practical suggestion, you could evoke the rule point in the title of the thread (e.g. shellholes and TEM).
It can help other players find questions and answers on elements of the rules where they also need some good advice.