Non-historical scenarios

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wondered how long it would take before you would resort to a personal attack.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pitman said:
Hmmm...and refering to fellow ASL'ers as "lazy" isn't a personal attack?

"Hey pot, I'm the kettle...you sure are black!"

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you mean my saying that people who design scenarios without doing any research, rationalizing that by calling them "representative" of some sort of action, are being lazy?

If so, then obviously, that is not a personal attack. Indeed, by definition it is not a personal attack.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Define Personal Attack?

Pitman said:
Do you mean my saying that people who design scenarios without doing any research, rationalizing that by calling them "representative" of some sort of action, are being lazy?

If so, then obviously, that is not a personal attack. Indeed, by definition it is not a personal attack.
Calling anyone "lazy" for any reason is still a personal attack. The fact that you think it is true doesn't have any bearing on the issue. After all your "opinion" on the matter doesn't automatically equal a cosmic truth (hard as that is for you to believe).

For example I think you are arrogant and pompous...if I called you such would that be a "personal attack"..I suspect you would think so. But your logic says that if that is what my "opinion" of you (or your actions) really is then it isn't a personal attack.

So your agument is flawed in the fact that your definition of "personal attack" is based solely on your point of view. If that is the case then there is no such thing as a personal attack since in each person's point of view they are just stating a fact when they decide to insult others.

And BTW,..."people who design scenarios without doing any research, rationalizing that by calling them "representative" of some sort of action, are being lazy?"

This is not what you said...this is just the standard "Pitman" backpedal/equivocation/excuse statement that gets built as you try to defend yet another foot in mouth bufoonery. BBTW, if it wasn't a personal attack why have you spent so much effort to convince everyone that you didn't say what you actually said?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A personal attack is an attack against a specific person. When you call me arrogant, that is a personal attack. When someone says something like "Texans are idiots," that is not a personal attack, unless there is something in the context which makes it clear that the statement was referring to a specific person.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Pitman said:
A personal attack is an attack against a specific person. When you call me arrogant, that is a personal attack. When someone says something like "Texans are idiots," that is not a personal attack, unless there is something in the context which makes it clear that the statement was referring to a specific person.
should have been a lawyer.... many weasel words.

Give it a rest guys, you're both acting like arses.

Was that a personal attack? :whist:

Cheers

Ian

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Define Personal Attack?

Pitman said:
Hmmm...I am pretty sure that anyone from Texas would take such a comment "personally".

For someone who howls over the offensiveness of SS avatars...and whines and crys because someone might use the word "Jap" on the forums..._AND_...works for the Anti-Defamation League...you sure are willing to cut yourself a whole lot of slack when it comes to being offensive/defamatory. I guess there are two sets of rules...one for the "Pitman" and another for everyone else.

BTW, I have forwarded you comment to some friends of mine who live in Texas...along with your personal information and picture. They will be contacting you directly to discuss your definition of "personal attack". :D

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MrP said:
should have been a lawyer.... many weasel words.

Give it a rest guys, you're both acting like arses.

Was that a personal attack? :whist:

Cheers
Not to me since I am specifically trying to be an arse to the "Pitman". Everyone else is just getting caught in the crossfire.

BTW, one need only stop following the thread to avoid said crossfire.

Alternatively the "Pitman" could admit that what he said was wrong...I ain't holding my breath though.

BBTW, I had dropped it until the "Pitman" began to reassert that he had not said what in fact he did say.

crabe tambour

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Tater said:
BTW, one need only stop following the thread to avoid said crossfire.

Thank you for the advice. But, Tate man, maybe this thread could have been interesting (to me, it could sure be) if you stopped to pollute it with your "pitman bashing" hobby. Thanks and Peace ;)

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
crabe tambour said:
Thank you for the advice. But, Tate man, maybe this thread could have been interesting (to me, it could sure be) if you stopped to pollute it with your "pitman bashing" hobby. Thanks and Peace ;)
Well, since you continue to follow it I assume you must still find it interesting...or is it the car wreck effect?

crabe tambour

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Man, maybe you can consider that you are not alone on this thread. Possible ? That other participants give some points of view that could interest other readers. Possible ? That each of your intervention is not about the main subject but just about reacting against what Pitman says (again again and again). Possible? That each of your intervention stops the debate for a while or direct it on your personnal child-war. Possible ? That anyone don't give a **** about your child war . Possible? That you waste our time on Internet by polluting a topic (again again and again) wich could interest us if you stop for a while to parasite it in the name of your child war. Possible?
Just try to consider that, wise man. Thanks

"Car wreck effect"... Lol. You're not so big

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
crabe tambour said:
Man, maybe you can consider that you are not alone on this thread. Possible ? That other participants give some points of view that could interest other readers. Possible ? That each of your intervention is not about the main subject but just about reacting against what Pitman says (again again and again). Possible? That each of your intervention stops the debate for a while or direct it on your personnal child-war. Possible ? That anyone don't give a **** about your child war . Possible? That you waste our time on Internet by polluting a topic (again again and again) wich could interest us if you stop for a while to parasite it in the name of your child war. Possible?
Just try to consider that, wise man. Thanks

"Car wreck effect"... Lol. You're not so big
Naaa...not possible...

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
crabe tambour said:
he's great... :laugh: I want him in my freaks show.
We go 30-70 (me 70!) on the take and you got a deal...

"Hurry, hurry, step right up...see the human Tater Head...he walks, he talks, he plays ASL..."

We could travel the world!!!

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Pitman said:
If you had any Cultural IQ you might have a slightly different attitude. :cheeky:

Frankly your whole attitude is insulting to most everyone. You make blanket statements as if they were facts and get bent out of shape when you are called on them. I agree with others that find it ironic you work for the Anti-Defamation League -- I am guessing they don't allow you to talk with people.

If the moderators had a fair and balanced approach they would have banned you at the same time they banned Scott -- your personal attacks have been far more egregious than anything Scott has written about MMP IMHO (this doesn't even account for your truly atrocious behavior on the List).

In the 2,500+ posts you have on this forum at least 2,300 of them are negative. This is why I refered you to rule 15 in Stunk and White.

I wonder how you can meet someone's gaze at a tournament when you have insulted their intelligence and assassinated their character. I have heard from people that know you that you are not as bad in person, but that just damns you by faint praise.

YOU have some stones to accuse anyone of making a personal attack. Your posting pattern is even more predictable than Scott's MMP attacks. You post something that is poorly worded and attacks a class of people. Then when you are called on it, you backpedal claiming that is not what you really posted and then attack the various posters until they get fed up with your attitude and cast a mild aspersion at you. Then you get all huffy and claim you have be the victim of a personal attack. Give us a break! This is getting really old. I had you on my ignore list for about 6 months and the number of negative comments I read on this forum dropped dramatically. It is only a accidental mouse click that made your posts visible again.

Virtually every thread you participate in degenerates into a bunch of noise. Your posts come across as surly and condescending -- especially if someone posts something you don't agree with.

I have a challenge for you: Try not to post anything in the negative for the rest of the year. I am betting you can't even go a week. That means if you disagree with a post instead of insulting the poster you just lay out how your opinion differs. That means you post to the idea instead of the person.

Your whole attitude on this thread rejects and insults an entire style of play. You have written off those people as lazy. I doubt that most players when given a scenario care if it is meticulously researched. I have played, designed, and enjoyed a whole host of scenarios that not one history book as been sullied in the process. The scenarios only present situations that might have happened in a purely theoretical sense. The fact that these types of situations are not your cup of tea is no reason to ascribe poor character qualities to those that like them. You have presented your style of play and design as the only correct way to approach the game and that those who disagree with you are beneath contempt.

I personally am much more interested in how well a scenario is put together and how much fun it is to play. I actually prefer DYO and PBDYO type of games to historically researched games. I prefer scenarios that have a ‘hook’ to them besides it was researched. To me interesting tactical situations are the epitome of scenario design. I play ASL because it is a game and not a history lesson.

And by the way I am also a TEXAN. :rifle:

crabe tambour

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
(we need a doctor there!)
Hey Tate, do you mind if you share your room with the texian wet rodent here when we'll be on tour ?

:D

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jeff, I get worried when you hold back your emotions. I think you should tell us what you really think.

Signed,

A Texan

crufty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, I'll come clean--I have yet to play a game yet, so I can't really say what kind of scenario I prefer to play. BUT...as to the tangent...

If I paid good money for a scenario pack and the prologue read "Germans to defend road, Russians to cross."

and the aftermath read "Historically this stuff happened a bunch of times in WWII."

Then I would feel the designer was being lazy. Not saying the scenario couldn't be fun, but that a designer could have done a little more work and spruced things up a little; if all 6/8/12 scenarios were of this fashion, I would probably feel a little taken advantage of (unless they were free).

So when Mr. Pitman made his statement, I did kind of see his point. A little extra effort, be it invented or based in historical research, SEEMS like it would make a scenario more appealing. Perhaps my context is out of whack not knowing personal histories, but his post didn't seem horrible to me anyway.

I realize an opinion on generic scenarios is a little different than one on completely fabricated scenarios. To be honest, unless a scenario starred Hogan's Heroes or something equally bizarre, I probably wouldn't even know it was fabricated. The idea that I'm recreating history is appealing, so I GUESS I may have a leaning towards historically representative scenarios.

ps. I say SEEMS / GUESS because I have no idea what makes up a fun ASL scenario. yet. :halo: