NOBA and NOBA Direct Fire (Corregidor) questions

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,
Preparing to play CtR-19 Pug-Nacious, having never played a scenario with NOBA before, and running into some questions while trying to sort through the NOBA and NOBA direct fire rules.

1) The NOBA rules reference an SFCP as the only onboard observer for NOBA - suggesting the use of a Chinese, Italian or Axis Minor inf. crew counter, and the SFCP has an inherent radio. The scenario card has a 227 and radio in it - are these supposed to represent the SFCP and radio? I believe this might be the case since the NOBA direct fire rules reference an on-board observer with a radio.

2) The direct fire rules say

"7.3: For a shipboard observer, LOS/LOF is established by tracing the LOS from the current shipboard observer map/board edge location (7.1)

When using a designated onboard observer to direct NOBA Direct Fire, LOS must exist between the target hex/location and the onboard observer, in addition to a LOF existing between the target hex/location and the shipboard observer’s hex."

How/when is the shipboard observer's hex selected or designated? 7.3 discusses that "This location may not change during any single player turn." but doesn't seem to explain how the location is designated.

I'm sure I'm missing some interaction between the direct fire rules, the NOBA rules, and standard OBA offboard observer rules, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott - NOBA NOOB

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
  1. Unless there is another OBA module for which the radio might be needed, I would guess that the radio is shown on the scenario card as a reminder of the function of the 227.
  2. Which rules chapter are you citing?

scottf2

ASL addict
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. Unless there is another OBA module for which the radio might be needed, I would guess that the radio is shown on the scenario card as a reminder of the function of the 227.
  2. Which rules chapter are you citing?
Thanks - sorry for the confusion - I was citing the Corregidor rules on Direct Fire NOBA (Section 7)

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks - sorry for the confusion - I was citing the Corregidor rules on Direct Fire NOBA (Section 7)
Okay, I have located a copy of the Corregidor rules. What they appear to be saying is that the US player can choose the board edge hex from which LOF will be traced from one player turn to the next provided that the board edge does not change. This differs from a normal offboard observer whose location is fixed for the duration of the scenario.

9.7.3 LOS/LOF: For a shipboard observer, LOS/LOF is established by tracing the LOS from the current shipboard observer map/board edge location (7.1) to the target hex/location. Smoke and terrain hindrances apply normally. This observer location can change from turn to turn during the course of a scenario due to the ship's ability to move around, however once a "friendly" board edge (FBE) has been selected, that is the only board edge that may be used for the duration of that scenario/CG Date to designate the shipboard observer's location. This location may not change during any single player turn. When using a designated onboard observer to direct NOBA Direct Fire, LOS must exist between the target hex/location and the onboard observer, in addition to a LOF existing between the target hex/location and the shipboard observer's hex.

So, for the first NOBA attack, you select a board edge and location from which it will come. In the next player turn and each player turn thereafter, you can change the location but not the board edge.