No SDKFZ. 135/1 in the countermix?

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well, I've just gone through all my German counters looking for
a SDKFZ 135/1 15cm sFH.13/1 Auf Lorraine (figure it's one of those specially put together bits of kit based on the French tractor)

A scenario I am working on has SPG's and, so far, it's looking like those are the ones (not 100% definite though)
but I don't think the game covers them. I found the PzA LrS(f) that seemed to fit the bill and I'll probably use that as a
stand in to be honest but am I missing anything here is the counter present? (maybe they'll release it in the upcoming Normandy HASL)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The ASL PzA LrS(f) is the SdKfz 135/1 15cm sFH.13/1 Auf Lorraine.

Types built on the Lorraine 37L chassis for German use:
7.5 cm PaK40/1 auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f) aka Marder I: 170 built
10.5 cm leFH18 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f) : 12 built
15 cm sFH13/1 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f) : 94 built
12.2 cm Kanone (r) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine (f) : 1 built
Artillery observer/command : 30 built
Minimally modified supply, ammo and APC versions both captured and built post '40 were also used.

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The ASL LzA LrS(f) is the SdKfz 135/1 15cm sFH.13/1 Auf Lorraine.

Types built on the Lorraine 37L chassis for German use:
7.5 cm PaK40/1 auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f) aka Marder I: 170 built
10.5 cm leFH18 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f) : 12 built
15 cm sFH13/1 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f) : 94 built
12.2 cm Kanone (r) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine (f) : 1 built
Artillery observer/command : 30 built
Minimally modified supply, ammo and APC versions both captured and built post '40 were also used.
Thanks very much Paul, that's great to hear, so I'm using the right counter then (assuming of course I have pinned down the correct SPG in the first place)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I believe Pegasus Bridge HASL had a number of modified French vehicles in German colors.
Thanks, I used to have a copy but I sold it darn it
Stay calm, absolutely no need to panic!!! The PB French based Beute Panzer stuff has been reissued in HP, though in slightly different numbers. When PB came out I got a second copy just for the counters. While many of the PB stuff saw little use outside NW France, others like the S-35 and H-38 were used in anti-partisan operations in places like the USSR and the Balkans, even N. Finland.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Stay calm, absolutely no need to panic!!! The PB French based Beute Panzer stuff has been reissued in HP, though in slightly different numbers. When PB came out I got a second copy just for the counters. While many of the PB stuff saw little use outside NW France, others like the S-35 and H-38 were used in anti-partisan operations in places like the USSR and the Balkans, even N. Finland.
Hmmm, if it was reissued in Hakke Palla then I ought to have a copy of them somewhere I guess. But if I can just go with the PzA LrS(f) then that's good enough for me:)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My comment about the PB stuff reissued in HP was just a calming aside. From everything you posted, the BV issued PzA LrS(f) is what you need. As far as I know they were mainly used in NW Europe, but they gathered some early fame as 30 were shipped (only 23 arrived) to the DAK. According to the below article, as many as 166 may have been built, not just the 94 I previously posted.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My comment about the PB stuff reissued in HP was just a calming aside. From everything you posted, the BV issued PzA LrS(f) is what you need. As far as I know they were mainly used in NW Europe, but they gathered some early fame as 30 were shipped (only 23 arrived) to the DAK. According to the below article, as many as 166 may have been built, not just the 94 I previously posted.
Thanks for sharing the article Paul, it was very good, I really appreciated seeing the photos
yep, I'll go with the BV issued PzA LrS(f). (of course it's anyone guess as to wether or not I've actually picked the correct SPG for the unit
(10.Batterie, 1716 Artillerie-Regiment, 716th Infantry Division) but I think so

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for sharing the article... I was especially intrigued by the British 'scrap yard ' photo. I'm amazed at the amount of DAK vehicles which were captured in such apparently repairable condition. The Danish soldier's photos were very interesting as well.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It's a site that I can't recommend highly enough. The only problem is there is just so much to browse there.

10 Batt, 1716 Art, 716th Inf ? Hmmm...
That was one of the Static Infantry divisions. Given that it had only 2 Inf Regts, I suspect that it's artillery regt. had only 2 light (10.5 cm) and 1 heavy (15 cm) battalions, a '41 normal inf div would have had 3 and 1 respectively. Note that a static division would have had a lot of captured art like Soviet 107mm, 122mm and 152mm, French 105mm, 155mm, etc.

So either the 1716 was originally on paper a 3 Abt (each 3 batt) and had the 10th as a separate batt or at some time on paper at least had 4 Abt and the 10th was one of the heavy batt now equipped with the Lorraine. Either way its high batt number suggests a heavy (~15 cm) batt rather than a light batt (~10 cm).

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's a site that I can't recommend highly enough. The only problem is there is just so much to browse there.

10 Batt, 1716 Art, 716th Inf ? Hmmm...
That was one of the Static Infantry divisions. Given that it had only 2 Inf Regts, I suspect that it's artillery regt. had only 2 light (10.5 cm) and 1 heavy (15 cm) battalions, a '41 normal inf div would have had 3 and 1 respectively. Note that a static division would have had a lot of captured art like Soviet 107mm, 122mm and 152mm, French 105mm, 155mm, etc.

So either the 1716 was originally on paper a 3 Abt (each 3 batt) and had the 10th as a separate batt or at some time on paper at least had 4 Abt and the 10th was one of the heavy batt now equipped with the Lorraine. Either way its high batt number suggests a heavy (~15 cm) batt rather than a light batt (~10 cm).
Thanks Paul,
Going by Nafziger he says that 3rd Battalion 1716th Artillery Regiment incorporated the 10th Self-Propelled Battery of
3 150mm sFH and 3 LMGs. Hmmm, it's a puzzle right enough. He says that in 1944 the division had a single self propelled panzerjager company instead of the usual battalion.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
In that case the Art Regt only had 2 light and 1 heavy Abt. A heavy Abt could have 3 x 4 gun 15 cm sFH 18 howitzer batteries or 2 x 4 gun 15cm howitzers and 1 x 4 gun 10cm sK 18 guns. Being a static infantry division, expect to see modernised WW1 German or foreign equivalents. As the tanks encyclopedia site mentioned that the Lorraines were parcelled out in 3s to the Normandy garrison divisions, your Nafziger matches that exactly.