No Man's Sky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I haven't jumped yet. I get the feeling this will scratch a similar itch to Elite, as in meandering fairly aimlessly around an enormous galaxy. Although the style looks very different I'm not sure the depth will be much different, plus the combat sounds pretty weak.

The new footage from Star Citizen looks pretty good, but who knows if and when that'll ever be released!

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It seems we keep getting one space game after another where the developers bit off more than they could chew, with the end result being a bunch of mediocre titles that only survive because there's nothing better out there. :(

We get a lot of lofty talk and interesting promo videos, but very little in the way of deep, long-lasting gameplay.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It does seem like space games, more than any other genre, have a very checkered history. We get one that plays great, but looks awful. Another one that looks great, but plays awful. And most of the others are more like failed experiments than serious game releases.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone else worried about Star Citizen and 'feature-glut'? I'm wondering if we'll ever see this game.
I think SC might go down in the history books as one of the most elaborate ponzi schemes in history. I hope I am wrong, but....

Even though he is something of an incendiary figure himself, and one whose spotty game development record puts him in his own glass house, Derek Smart has done some fascinating reporting on the whole Star Citizen story. His insights as a game developer carry some weight with me. You can see some of his articles here:

http://www.dereksmart.org/

As for No Man's Sky, I am hopeful that Hello Games can salvage the title. It still looks fun enough for me to pick up the game at a deep discount ($30 if it looks like it won't become abandonware, $20 otherwise :)). As lots of other people have said, if Hello Games would have released it as a $20-30 early access title on Steam it probably would have been a huge hit. But slapping a $60 price tag on it and launching it as a bare bones and buggy experience really did a ton of damage. Dumb.

Well, after seeing a flurry of space sims announced over the last few years, it looks like the last two men standing are Eve Online and Elite: Dangerous. With Eve going F2P next month and Elite finally getting its space legs underneath it, at least we have two decent "AAA" space games to play for the time being.