No ASL for 3 years. Here’s what I learned... and some questions.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven’t played ASL for 3+ years. Instead, I’ve done a lot of hiking, played lots of euros (mostly Pandemic Legacy, Nations and Concordia), played a ton of Gloomhaven with my sons (Highly recommended. Tactical fantasy ASL in a huge box stuffed with awesomeness) and I’m taking Country Swing lessons with a gorgeous blond. Just got an order on Friday from Gamer’s Armory to catch me up on some of the ASL stuff I missed over the last 3 years. Some random thoughts…

* ASL is alive and well.
* The GameSquad forum hasn’t changed a bit. Same old, same old. You guys still rock!
* Bounding Fire is still the king of the TPPs. Bring on Recon By Fire #5!!!
* Anyone who says MMP doesn’t put out enough material, fast enough is freaking crazy.

Here’s the modules/packs I took out of shrink wrap that were gathering dust, and scenarios (and some rules) I had to put in protective sleeves this weekend:

Yanks 2 – Finally, don’t have to use oblong, rectangular, deformed U.S. counters.
Forgotten War – My #1 priority to start playing. Read thru the rules last night. Terrific. Hopefully, somewhere Mike Reed has a huge smile on his face. What a long, long journey.
Hatten in Flames – The ONLY module/AP/Journal that I didn’t preorder from MMP, ever. Slipped by me.
Pocket Rulebook – Tiny print, but I like it.
WO 6 – Swore I would never buy the red-headed step child boards 10z and 17z, but $7 was too tempting.
WO 7 – I really like boards 74 and 75. Gotta love more jungle.
WO 8 – Okay, 76 is cool. Where in the hell is board 77? Am I missing something?
WO 9 – I died and went to heaven!!! MMP published more DASL boards with scenarios?!?!? Sign me up.
Action Pack 11 - Two thumbs up on 71 and 72, unless it's all Bocage...
Action Pack 12 – Only one board (73) is a bummer.
Action Pack 13 – Another Hill board (78) and another 3-4 hex wide River board (79). Yawn…
Journal 11 - I like that MMP kept the scenarios on card stock.
Journal 12 – Great articles and another Festung Budapest scenario, and TWO VotG scenarios!!! My 2 favorite HASLs because of the scenarios (no time for CGs).

Poland in Flames (BFP) – Playtested it, but haven’t played a scenario from the finished product. Looks awesome. And yes, we need more modules with 7-1, 9-0, 10-0 and 10-1 leaders.
Objective: Schmidt (BFP) – Know nothing about this, but love playing scenarios on HASL maps. Will dive into it soon.
The Lost Theater (STL) - Cool scenarios on a HASL map with 12 geoboard scenarios. Impressive.
Friendly Fire 10 (FrF) – Always great tourney sized scenarios.
Rally Point 15 (SP) – Don’t buy SP any more except for any Korean War scenarios. They look really good.

Here’s what I missed and will buy very soon:

Friendly Fire 12 (FrF) – waiting for Gamer’s Armory to get it then I will make my order.
Friendly Fire 11 (FrF)
From the Cellar 8 (LfT) – Gotta catch up on the LfT goodness.

Crap on a cracker it took me awhile to get everything in order. I have lots and lots of reading to do.

The Wolkster's Top 10 questions:

Q1 – From above, am I missing anything?
Q2 - Any other published Korean War scenarios? Kudos to SP for being on the ball. Looking forward to Rally Point 16.
Q3 – Give me your one MUST PLAY scenario from the modules/packs above.
Q4 – Did Pleva win the last 17 ASLOKs?
Q5 – Does Perry still have his Duck Dynasty beard? Although he probably had his first. He was cool before cool was cool.
Q6 – Does JR still host game night? I swear if I’m ever in NY I’d rather go there over the Empire St Building, Broadway or Ellis Island.
Q7 – Are the Red Factories scenarios going to be on par with those of VotG? Which are still the finest set of scenarios from any pack/module, ever.
Q8 – Did Ducky Dolan ever get his Dinant HASL in the MMP pipeline?
Q9 – Where is board 77? Is Brian Youse going to sell them one-by-one on eBay and make a killing? I would.
Q10 - What's the latest issue of Dispatches From the Bunker? I need to catch up.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q1 You forgot Hakkaa Paalle. Even if you are not into the norsemen, there are many cool Russian toys included. (And the Finns are great, in my opinion..) Noreaster 20th Anniversary Pack- worth getting.

Q2 Not with out looking at old scenario packs with one or 2 KW scenarios per pack. The Paddington Bears ones for example. (I hope for more KWASL, it is a new and different world in ASL.)

Q8 Yes, it is supposed to come with the re-done French Module from MMP.

Q9 Supposed to come out in the next Journal, I think.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Rob, FYI board 77 is coming out with Journal # 13.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The Wolkster's Top 10 questions:

Q1 – From above, am I missing anything?
Probably yes. Some stuff from Schwerpunkt comes to mind.

Q2 - Any other published Korean War scenarios? Kudos to SP for being on the ball. Looking forward to Rally Point 16.
Rally Point 16 was my first thought as well. I would be surprised if the next Journal would not have something on North Korea, too.

Q3 – Give me your one MUST PLAY scenario from the modules/packs above.
Impossible task. Too much good stuff in there to name the one.

Q4 – Did Pleva win the last 17 ASLOKs?
Yes. But there's been errata on that: No.

Q5 – Does Perry still have his Duck Dynasty beard? Although he probably had his first. He was cool before cool was cool.
Climate may change. Not Perry's beard.

Q6 – Does JR still host game night? I swear if I’m ever in NY I’d rather go there over the Empire St Building, Broadway or Ellis Island.
No idea. But he has answered at least one rules question here over the past three years.

Q7 – Are the Red Factories scenarios going to be on par with those of VotG? Which are still the finest set of scenarios from any pack/module, ever.
As we cannot lay our hands on Red Factories yet, you'll have to catch some fowl and rely on its entrails to augur the answer from.

Q8 – Did Ducky Dolan ever get his Dinant HASL in the MMP pipeline?
Yes. There is a thread on the stuff in MMP's pipeline around somewhere.

Q9 – Where is board 77? Is Brian Youse going to sell them one-by-one on eBay and make a killing? I would.
In Journal #13.
Despite having been away for three years, you are ahead of things: More Korea scenarios, Red Factories scenarios, board 77... Where will this end?!

Q10 - What's the latest issue of Dispatches From the Bunker? I need to catch up.
Unfortunately, Vic has some health issues. But Issue #47 seems to be planned for release this fall. Looky here.

von Marwitz

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven’t played ASL for 3+ years. Instead, I’ve done a lot of hiking, played lots of euros (mostly Pandemic Legacy, Nations and Concordia), played a ton of Gloomhaven with my sons (Highly recommended. Tactical fantasy ASL in a huge box stuffed with awesomeness) and I’m taking Country Swing lessons with a gorgeous blond. Just got an order on Friday from Gamer’s Armory to catch me up on some of the ASL stuff I missed over the last 3 years. Some random thoughts…

Forgotten War – My #1 priority to start playing. Read thru the rules last night. Terrific. Hopefully, somewhere Mike Reed has a huge smile on his face. What a long, long journey.
:D Indeed. Though my 4 chief co-conspirators carried most of the weight this past decade or so...wish Mark was still active in the ASL hobby to have enjoyed it as well.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite having been away for three years, you are ahead of things: More Korea scenarios, Red Factories scenarios, board 77... Where will this end?!
It is an ASLers birthright to always want and ask for more.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:D Indeed. Though my 4 chief co-conspirators carried most of the weight this past decade or so...wish Mark was still active in the ASL hobby to have enjoyed it as well.
True enough. Hopefully, he has been able to look thru a copy and see all the outstanding components and scenarios.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q1 You forgot Hakkaa Paalle. Even if you are not into the norsemen, there are many cool Russian toys included. (And the Finns are great, in my opinion..) Noreaster 20th Anniversary Pack- worth getting.
I has around for HP. Played about half of those scenarios. Good stuff.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Thanks. It doesn't feel right. There's a hole in my soul.
I think it's MMP's plot to drive the nerds of the world insane. A scenario calls for Board 83, yet there is no 83rd board!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Read thru the scenarios and booklet for China-Burma-India: The Lost Theater last night...

Wow! I’m impressed. A PTO player’s dream come true. Kudos to Jim Burris and the other St. Louis ASLers. I saw at least 9 scenarios that I want to play.

He mentioned this was project 1 of 3. Is there any information availability on the progress of his next one?

If you haven’t had a chance to look at this pack I highly recommend it. For some reason I have two packs, and I’m glad I bought them.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
He mentioned this was project 1 of 3. Is there any information availability on the progress of his next one?
Don't think we've heard anything about follow ups yet. Hope we will. I agree with you, it's a lovely product, especially for "first-timers." I've only played one, but it was solid, interesting and original.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Read thru the scenarios and booklet for China-Burma-India: The Lost Theater last night...

Wow! I’m impressed. A PTO player’s dream come true. Kudos to Jim Burris and the other St. Louis ASLers. I saw at least 9 scenarios that I want to play.

If you haven’t had a chance to look at this pack I highly recommend it. For some reason I have two packs, and I’m glad I bought them.
I can say that future ASL projects from Jim and the St Louis group are not dead, but also not progressing very fast. Too many distractions, life gets in the way, you know the story...

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's the whisky's fault; usually is. I agree though, the "China-Burma-India: The Lost Theater" product was one of my better buys last year, too.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the whisky's fault; usually is. I agree though, the "China-Burma-India: The Lost Theater" product was one of my better buys last year, too.
you can pour me one of those (whiskeys or a scen from the CBI pack, either or both does the trick :) )