No. 3 Coy, Independent

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
As Lee M couldn't get together this weekend I dusted off my British SASL Campaign company and fought its third mission in the Namsos sector in April 1940.

Note dates such II/4/40 = week 2, Apr, 1940 (and so on)

II/4/40 near Steinkjer, Norway: The first mission did not go so well as the company tried to flank the village of Steinkjer north of Trondheim only to run into a reinforced machine position in a nearby farm. The reconnaissance mission soon turned into a set piece battle that bled the company and prevented any sort of depth. The company finished with a defeat and even after replacements was under strength.

No. 3 Coy: 8-1, 2 x 8-0, 5x 4-5-7, 2 x 4-4-7, 4-3-6, 2-2-6, 5 x 1-2-7, 4 LMG, 3 51* Mor, 3 ATR

Campaign Score: -1

III/4/40: north of Steinkjer, Norway: The second mission found No. 3 Company defending the eastern flank of 146th Bde north east of Steinkjer as the Germans force the allies onto the defence and took the initiative. The company was dug in between two ridgeline with two 25 pounders and its heavy weapons in support. German probes were initially engaged with accurate fire but pressure soon built, the company slowly stepping back to the heights to the north. Additional pressure was added when the Germans brought up light tanks but brigade HQ countered with a forward observer for a 25 pdr battery and a flank attack by section of its rare Mk VIB light tanks. A sharp action ensued that saw Pz I and II tanks engage with Mk VIB and infantry ATRs with the British coming out ahead. British artillery and the further arrival of a company of French Alpine troops turned the tide and the German flanking attack through the heights was turned back.

No. 3 Coy: 3 x 8-1, 6 x 4-5-7, 3 x 4-4-7, 2-2-6, 6 x 1-2-7, 4 LMG, 3 51* Mor, 3 ATR.

Campaign Score: 0

Which brings us to the third mission for No. 3 Company, taking place in the closing days of April as the 146th Brigade and the French Alpine troops withdrew back towards Namsos and eventual evacuation.

IV/4/40 south of Sprova, Norway: North of Trondheim, near the town of Sprova, there is an extension of the Trondheim Fjord. Over this narrow but deep waterway stood a long bridge leading to the road to Namsos. With the numerically superior German 181st Division threatening to outflank the British as they retreated, No. 3 Company was sent ahead to hold the crossing and the small village on the south side of the fjord.

Here is the initial positions held by the company. The intent was to move forward and 'receive' the retreating rearguard. Both units would then step back over the bridge holding off the Germans so it could be destroyed.

No. 3 Coy at start. Note that one 51* was deployed north of the fjord where it can cover the approaches with smoke to aid in the retreat. Other mortars and the HMG were placed to cover the open ground to the east.

Almost immediately things began to go wrong for the defence as the brigade withdrew. While the rearguard consisting of Guards infantry managed to retreat into the village, the Germans soon appeared with light tanks as well as air support in the form of three Stuka dive bombers with bombs. The presence of such heavy air support pinned the British down and any movement was soon pounced upon by the dive bombers. Unable to risk using the bridge, or even movement within their own perimeter buildings, No. 3 Coy and the supporting Guards infantry were forced to stand and fight.

No. 3 Company pinned on the wrong side of the river and keeping close to the Germans:

By the start of Turn 5 more German infantry and tanks had arrived in the village while brigade HQ sent a 3 in mortar section to help out. While the mortar team made their way through the woods north of the Fjord the troops in the village were beginning to be pressed towards the bridge, hurting the German infantry with each step back but taking their own losses.

German tanks and infantry press both flanks:

Just as it appeared the combination of infantry, tanks and aircraft would win through the British ATR teams began to finally score against the German armour. In quick succession two Pz IIs were knocked on the British right while a Pz IB on the left was immobilised. As a Stuka began its attack run against a stubborn Guards position it came within range of the Vickers who damaged the aircraft and forced it to abandon the attack and withdraw. More German tanks came forward and pushed hard for the bridge with infantry support but again the ATR team's aim was true and another two Pz IIs were knocked out.

Just as German infantry was getting the upper hand in the centre a Stuka came roaring in with it machine guns chattering but it had mistaken its target, scattering a German assault group. From this point events began to turn in the favour of the defenders. Although more tanks arrived it only resulted in more immobilised and destroyed vehicles. When the last Stuka exhausted its ammunition and departed in turn 8 the German attack lost its impetus. The available German infantry had been exhausted while eight Pz I and II tanks were knocked out and another two immobilised, the Germans had nothing left to attack with. Number 3 Coy and the Guards then counterattacked, breaking the remaining German attackers and driving them back to the edge of town, even taking a number of prisoners before turning to disengage. Under the protective guns of two newly arrived Mk VIBs and covered by the 3 in mortars north of the fjord, the rearguard withdrew. Behind them engineers blew the bridge so well that four spans collapsed into the fjord.

The photo (apologies for the quality, there was some turbulence) show the British positions just before they began to withdraw. The two light tanks are immediately south of the bridge with the mortars to the north.

Final losses were:

German: 48 KIA/WIA, 47 Missing, 41 POW

British: 55 WIA/KIA (40 from the Guards, 15 from No. 3 Coy)

Despite the success, No. 3 Company battled hardened no troops and received no replacements.

No. 3 Coy: 9-1, 2 x 8-1, 4 x 4-5-7, 3 x 4-4-7, 1 x 4-3-6, 6 x 1-2-7, 4 LMG, 3 51* Mor, 3 ATR

Campaign Score: +1

End Game:

Last edited:

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Sounds like an interesting campaign! I call this phase of the war: "when tanks were young" The early tanks were so vulnerable to just about everything. Thanks for the AAR

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Well,... I only have a Surface Pro 4 (tablet, c. 2015/16) for a computer but I play mostly FtF or via Skype. I would probably need a skype supported tutorial just to load VASL much less use it. Tried it a couple of time way back in yonder years when we were still rolling dice while avoiding the odd Pterodactyl.

How well does Windows 10 work with Java script these days? I know at work our IT has (or had) constant issues with programs requiring Java.

I know squat about Java, code, or the inner mysteries of computers.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Windows 10 works great with Java and VASL works just fine on that O/S

The only issue would be screen real estate.