Nintendo guru wants more happy games

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/ap_on_hi_te/nintendo_designer;_ylt=Akv9xfZRDKrm7fAatsn4lQFj24cA

Yahoo News said:
Video game guru Shigeru Miyamoto said his industry's reputation has suffered in the past decade. Designers have failed to deliver titles that bring joy to the widest possible spectrum of players, focusing too often on hard-core gamers and their lust for gore and realism, he said.

"I always want that first reaction to be emotion, to be positive — to give a sense of satisfaction, glee," Miyamoto told thousands of developers attending the annual Game Developer Conference here. "Certain obstacles may temporarily raise feelings of suspense, competition, even frustration. But we always want that final result, that final emotion, to be a positive one."

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hasn't the philosophy of both the DS and Wii to reach the largest target audience possible from the start? And both seem to be succeeding in their aims so far with the popularity of the DS and Wii being very high. The first reactions of "joy" and "glee" at the innovative control setups on both of their platforms seems to be attracting many people to their products and making Nintendo seem a "fun" company.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I guess he isn't a fan of wargames then. Can't picture him being one at least.

Reaction score
Country
ll
The smile on my face was pretty damn wide when I first booted up CoD3.

But I get where he is going.

As long as metroid, the next zelda, and SSBM:B arrive on time, I could care less :D

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Video game guru Shigeru Miyamoto said his industry's reputation has suffered in the past decade. Designers have failed to deliver titles that bring joy to the widest possible spectrum of players, focusing too often on hard-core gamers and their lust for gore and realism, he said.
And there I felt it is the other way round :)

"I always want that first reaction to be emotion, to be positive — to give a sense of satisfaction, glee," Miyamoto told thousands of developers attending the annual Game Developer Conference here. "Certain obstacles may temporarily raise feelings of suspense, competition, even frustration. But we always want that final result, that final emotion, to be a positive one."
Rubbish.

Of course people get a sense of reward and satisfaction out of whatever game they play. Otherwise they wouldn't play it in the first place.

I have to admit, though, that some (war-) games come close to keep people going only by the hope of satisfaction.