Night Seaborne Assault

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm setting up my defense for TAC23 "Midnight Bath At Tobruk." Night rules are in effect.
I have no vehicles and my opponent has LCs loaded with Infantry approaching the Beach.
Provided my unit(s) are otherwise eligible, can I fire Starshells / IR when the first LC changes its hex or VCA.
See some pertinent rules quoted below.
G12.1 Eight types of Landing Craft (LC) are provided in GUNG HO. The LCP(L), LCVP, LCA, LCM(3), LCT(4) AND LCI(S) are U.S./British-(A25.4) types, while the Daihatsu and Shohatsu are Japanese. LC are treated as boats (E5.) except as stated otherwise, but the rules specific to assault boats and rafts (E5.11-.122) do not apply. LC are also considered vehicles; however, they are not treated as AFV except as specifically indicated.

E1.91 INITIAL USE: No Starshells/IR may be fired in a scenario until one of three events has occurred:

• while the friendly force has no motorized vehicle onboard an enemy motorized vehicle changes its hex or its VCA within 16 hexes of a friendly unit that is currently capable of firing a Starshell/IR (or Spotting/Observing for an IR-capable firer) and fires a Starshell/IR; or

• a friendly unit currently capable of firing a Starshell/IR (or Spotting/Observing for an IR-capable firer) has a LOS to an enemy unit and fires a Starshell/IR; or

• a Gunflash is placed due to an enemy FFE or an attack vs an enemy unit.