Night Rules & OBA

Stryker

Recruit
Reaction score
Does an Offboard Observer with a Pre-registered hex need LOS to the hex in order to place an AR? The rules seem to indicate that he needs LOS, but it seems odd to require it at night. Otherwise, you have to use starshells just to place an AR.

Regards

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stryker said:
Does an Offboard Observer with a Pre-registered hex need LOS to the hex in order to place an AR?
I believe so. I could not find anything that would obviate the need for LOS.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reality Argument: LOS sahould not be necessary

That is the entire reason for preregistering a location. The obsever and fire team only need to know what the coordinates are - then they let loose with the FFE.

Of course, there is no correlation between reality and the rules.

It has been along time since I played a night scenario with OBA (5 years).
NRBH

But my recollection was that there was some caveat about night placement of artillery requests and spotting rounds which eliminated LOS requirements. Then again - my age could be creeping up on me

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Ingram said:
But my recollection was that there was some caveat about night placement of artillery requests and spotting rounds which eliminated LOS requirements. Then again - my age could be creeping up on me
A spotting round is a form of illumination. So, once you get one down, you can see the location even if it is not in NVR.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then why penalize an OBA module with a preregistered hex (since it requires no AR or SR for it's placment)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fred Ingram said:
Then why penalize an OBA module with a preregistered hex (since it requires no AR or SR for it's placment)
Pre-reg hexes do require an AR, C1.731.

To answer your question: Because the rules say so.

To pontificate on why the rules say so: a battery of guns at night may have registered a location but there would be no way for them to tell when to fire on the location during the night unless something tips them off. Since in ASL the players have a bit of omniscience in knowing what is in the blast zone of an FFE, the designers thought it better to require LOS to the location than to allow perfect knowledge to a battery commander at night.

But that is just like my opinion man. I am sure there is a counter reality argument.

Stryker

Recruit
Reaction score
We're playing Edson's Ridge and I'm trying to get an AR up on the hill. I guess you could make a 'reality' argument that my troops need to illuminate the area before the Observer would be comfortable in laying down the AR. Oh well, get the starshells ready...

Regards