Night Rout Into Concealed Stack

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had a very unusual situation last night. A brokie Low Crawled into a hex with 3 enemy ? counters in it in a Bldg. Neither of us could find anything in the rules about how to handle this. Any ideas? I finally cancelled the Rout and stayed where I was because we didn't know what to do. Turns out (later) that the stack was all Dummies too.

Questions include:

1) Can the brokie rout into this hex?

2) If the 3 ? included a real unit, what were the options?

3) If the 3 ? were all Dummies, what were the options?

Thanks in advance.

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
TheSQLGuru said:
Questions include:

1. Yes.

2. The ? stack must reveal a non-Dummy unit by losing its ? as per A10.533 which would force a surrender or FtRt.

3. The Dummy stack is removed as per A12.14 (case A on the ? loss/gain table).

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1) Yes. Your opponent can maintain his concealment

2) Your opponent can maintain concealment hoping to have his way with your brokies in the next turn :devious:

3) Broken units and dummies have no effect on each other at all, since only Known Enemy Units can influence the actions of broken units. OTOH, broken units cannot affect the concealment status of enemy units

All of the above is my 2 cents worth and subject to correction by the usual suspects :D

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TheSQLGuru said:
Had a very unusual situation last night. A brokie Low Crawled into a hex with 3 enemy ? counters in it in a Bldg. Neither of us could find anything in the rules about how to handle this. Any ideas? I finally cancelled the Rout and stayed where I was because we didn't know what to do. Turns out (later) that the stack was all Dummies too.

Questions include:

Thanks in advance.

Routing is *considerably* different at night than it is during the day. Broken units autimatically use low crawl. Broken units are never eliminated for ftr at night (E1.54, ASOP6.12b, ASOP6.21b), so a broken unit can remain in the open & in LOS of a KEU, as well as remaining ADJACENT to a KEU (E1.54) & can remain in the same location with a keu. Broken units at night are not required to LC to the nearest bldg/woods .. can rout anywhere as long as not closer to a keu (no interdiction & no straying at night for brokies).

If you don't have it already I recommend getting Out of the Attick, it had two of the best night articles ever written + a series replay of Sicilian Midnight (a night scenairo). Definitely a 'night -themed' 'zine.

Routing at night is much different, but it's also a hell of a lot easier too.