Night question: IR

Mastadon61

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey all,

I've been reading JR's Bring On The Night article again. I think I've read it 10 times or so. It's great. Unfortunately, I think I've found something that conflicts with the rulebook.

The article says IR has to be fired before other fire in the appropriate phase. (Prep for attacker, Def Fire for defender) after the first turn's placement.

However, the rule that indicates this only refers to STAR SHELLS!

The way I read it is that IR may be fired at any time the MTR/OBA can fire.

Thanks for your help. Please provide rules references in addition to your opinion.

This question comes from a current playing of A19 Cat and Mouse. The US side has some on-board MTRs with IR capability.

Don Hancock

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
While i have not been able to find a specific rule for the IR - though i note that it is a subsection of StarShells E1.92 (not a separate subsection of Illumination E1.9) the Night Chart Divider that comes with the Pegasus Bridge CG does clearly state that Starshells/IR may only be fired at the start of the relevent turn.

Again, if you read E1.9 and E1.91 they introduce the rule section with Starshells/IR, not Starshells OR IR.

This is clear enough for me... anyone else foud a ruling?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ignoring the Pegasus Bridge chart for now...

Legion: I'm not sure I understand what you meant when you wrote "while i have not been able to find a specific rule for the IR - though i note that it is a subsection of StarShells E1.92".

In my Chapter E, Illuminating Rounds are 1.93. That's not a subsection of Starshells (1.92) but a subsection of the overall 1.9 Illumination section.

So I see 1.9 in general talking about the different ways of causing illumination. Starshells (1.92) have certain usage restrictions, given in 1.921. Illuminating Rounds (1.93) have different usage rules, given in 1.931. Likewise, Fires (1.94) and Trip Flares (1.95) have different things again.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Okay, here's a Perry Sez from Perry on Sam Belcher's www.dicetower.com which pretty much settles the question. I'm afraid it doesn't give rules references, however, but the Advanced Sequence of Play does confirm what's written in "Bring on the Night".

E1.9

Q. Can a mortar fire IR during the opponent's MPh, similar to a starshell placement?
A. No.

Q. Can it fire IR as Defensive First Fire during the opponent's MPh?
A. No.

Q. Is the ASOP correct in that it allows firing IR only at the beginning of the PFPh or DFPh, similar to ordnance firing SMOKE?
A. Yes.

Last edited:

Mastadon61

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reepicheep said:
Okay, here's a Perry Sez from Perry on Sam Belcher's www.dicetower.com which pretty much settles the question. I'm afraid it doesn't give rules references, however, just a ruling from Perry.

E1.9

Q. Can a mortar fire IR during the opponent's MPh, similar to a starshell placement?
A. No.

Q. Can it fire IR as Defensive First Fire during the opponent's MPh?
A. No.

Q. Is the ASOP correct in that it allows firing IR only at the beginning of the PFPh or DFPh, similar to ordnance firing SMOKE?
A. Yes.

Thumps self in forehead. I forgot to check the ASOP. That's definitive.

Thanks for your help.

Don Hancock

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Mastadon61 said:
This question comes from a current playing of A19 Cat and Mouse. The US side has some on-board MTRs with IR capability.
btw, this is a great little scenario. Karl and I are playing the mini-campaign (five playings) by email at the moment and it moves along real fast. I seem to recall another two guys here currently playing it as well.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Reepicheep said:
In my Chapter E, Illuminating Rounds are 1.93. That's not a subsection of Starshells (1.92) but a subsection of the overall 1.9 Illumination section.
My apologies... you are correct. :hurray:

I did not think of searching for a Perry Sez, the Q&A had nothing to add and i could not find anything on the Advanced Sequence of Play, but i guess you have a RBv2 right?

The only clear example i could find was the PB Divider Card

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yup, 2nd edition. It's on the ASOP as step 4.11D at the Start of the DFPh... "May fire MTR IR (E1.91, E1.93-1.932).